Starting my DMP on 1st Feb... Anyone want to join me?

Options
Hi all DF wannabes

Im starting out on my DMP on 1st feb with CCCS. I owe around £11500 to 7 creditors and according to CCCS I will be DF come 2018!
So far I have sent out the notification letters, token payments and am expecting the pack from CCCS tomorrow.
The only phone call so far has been from Egg credit card. We cancelled the direct debit and of course they arent happy, but thats it so far.
Ive spent the last week changing bank accounts, what a hassle but necessary as we have a large o/d and a credit card with our old bank.

So thats the boring bits! Its so strange to be on a tight budget after many years of winging it and living on credit, but at the same time it feels such a relief to be free on the pressure of trying to maintain it.

So heres a big :beer: to CCCS and MSE for giving us the courage and determination to do something about it... and if you want to join me along the way I'd love the company.
Debt at LBM - £11,505
Debt 2011 = [STRIKE]8K[/STRIKE] £7760 - DF in July 2013
DMP Paddle no. 1 Sealed Pot No. 1375
Grocery Challenge Aug £418.31/£450 Sept £ /£450

Comments

• Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi and welcome

i've been with CCCS since January 2008 - 2 years now. I'd be lying if I said it was easy at first, but bear with it, believe me, it does get easier - you just have to ride the storm for a while. I've not had a phone call from a creditor since October 2008 although I don't answer the phone to numbers I don't recognise so I could have had a call or two.

If you do happen to answer the phone to them, refuse to go through their security questions, give them your CCCS ref number and say you will only deal in writing. Make a note of their calls and the frequency and fire off the telephone harrassment letter if necessary.

I was told it would take me 9 years to clear my debts off in 2008 but with hard work, determination and lucky enough to have payrises and bonuses at work, I've now managed to reduce that term to under 5 years and reducing further. Hard work but worth it in the end - and you'll probably start to enjoy it too! And still have little treats as well.

Good luck with your journey - just try not to let the bad bits get in the way of the good!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • michelle45_2
    Options
    Hi
    Can I join. Ive just downloaded the paperwork and am about to take the first steps.

Michelle
  • pure_dead_dopey
    Options
    Hi Can I join too? At the same stage as yourself, just dealing with bigger numbers. Sent off all the letters yesterday and cancelled the direct debits. A bit like the calm before the storm at the moment. BUT, I feel better already cos I can see that I will get rid of this debt before I retire.....
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• poppop09
    Options
    Hi got caught short this morning from a phone call from AIC did tell a few porkys though told them i want it in writing so i can go with a dmp but just need a letter to say where and who my debts are with as soon as i get my letter then i too will start the process of going through the dmp
  • Madison
    Madison Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re the calls from creditors, one I entered my DMP I changed my home phone number, it's free to do this once, with most providers.
  • true27
    true27 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi!

I'm with you mate :D we're going through the CAB for ours and a similar amount of debt!

This site is amazing and the people are great and so supportive - its such a confidence boost to have people in the same boat around you.

xx
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
  • nataz
    nataz Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, so far no calls today, wonder when it will start? Just read somewhere that all you have to say is you are dealing with CCCS, give them your ref number and they are meant to put it down in your file and not call you for 30days. Might just give that a go.
    Changing number sounds interesting tho!
    Still waiting for pack to arrive, hopefully it will come tomorrow, fingers crossed
    Debt at LBM - £11,505
    Debt 2011 = [STRIKE]8K[/STRIKE] £7760 - DF in July 2013
    DMP Paddle no. 1 Sealed Pot No. 1375
    Grocery Challenge Aug £418.31/£450 Sept £ /£450
  • pure_dead_dopey
    Options
    Hi Everybody
    I keep getting phonecalls from an automated system but no one is ever there, 3 to-day and 2 yesterday. CCCS were writing to everyone on Tuesday, do you think this could be a first reaction and why don't they say something or am I just totally paranoid?
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• areyousure
    Options
    Hi, im in the process of changing my bank with a view to goin in a dmp next month. Bit further behind you but id still like to come on board..
  • true27
    true27 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've pulled the plug out of my phone :rotfl:
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income