cooking for one

Hi,
I am a widow of just over a year and I'm fed up with eating jacket spuds and salad.Does anyone know of a reasonable(cheap) recipe book that I can buy that gives recipes for one.My freezer is full of left over mince and I would like to eat something different for a change.
Great site by the way,I am disabled and have recently aquired a discount card for the cinema via web-sites listed on here,also a discount card for travel to the Isle of wight via ferry.Whe you live on a fixed income any discount helps no matter what.
Happy New Year to all on this site

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi :)

There's some recipes HERE and HERE. Some of the posts have links to recipes books :)
    Bulletproof
  • Sites like Sainsbury's have recipes for meals for one etc Jackie. And one pot meals type of thing. A quick Google should find it.

HTH :)
  • Hi :)

There's some recipes HERE and HERE.  Some of the posts have links to recipes books :)

Didn't realise you'd answered troo, but even better.

No need to leave the site! ;)
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ;D

There was another thread, called 'The Recipe Thread', I'm sure I saw it the other day but I can't find it :-/ Mind you I haven't woken up properly yet ;D
    Bulletproof
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,554
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There is a book by Delia Smith called One Is Fun which you should be able to get at your library. I think it's also available in paperback in bookshops. I also think I remember seeing some solo recipes on her website.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is a paperback by Shirley Goode on cooking for one with very good down to earth ideas and no overly fancy recipes.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,857
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    why not cook more elaborate meals for 2 and freeze one portion
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    As stated above, you could cook a "family" recipe and freeze the remaining 3 portions - great economy on cooking fuel and washing up too.

Alternatively, look around the library (free!) or bookstores for *student* cookery books - nearly always geared towards meals for one or two, definately geared towards thrift and for those occasions where you have company, they include recipes for entertaining.

Another alternative is ... if you know of other "singles" in your area, get to know them, club together and do the rounds taking it in turns to cook for one another and to help save on buying bulk buy items to share out.
    (This might also be a good way to get to know others, as I am sure that it is very hard returning to "single" status when you are grieving on top (((hugs))) )

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • My usual one I trot out is the all in one recipe for a roast dinner!! A chicken portion or a chop or small bit of meat popped into a baking tray, cover with gravy - I just mix up some bisto and chuck over! Then pop in potatoes carrots etc and let it cook - One pan to wash up and if you have a guest just double the quantity.
    May I extend my condolences - belated as they are.
  • The book mentioned by Elona is called 'Goode for One', I would also recommend it, not just for the recipes but also for the inspirational budgetting strategy. I think it's out of print now but I just looked on Amazon and they have copies available from 50p!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure