What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Just wondered if there were things you continue to spend the same money on pre lightbulb and if yoou have are you happy with the alternatives or do you see it as one compromise too many?

I thought I had made loads but I was surprised to see during my weekly shop that I am still buying a lot of the same stuff I bought before and I still shop in Sainsburys!! I noticed I bought - Extra virgin olive oil (use this for all frying/cooking), taste the difference Fish, expensive one cup filter coffee sachets, the list goes on... I do buy a lot of BOGOF but only if I need the product and a lot of the basics ranges too but no wonder my bill is never below £70!
Another thing is my haircut and colour I just won't change that and will keep that going although I have stretched the time I go from 2 months to 3 months.

So, anyone else with this problem! :o
threadbanner.gif
Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mine are:
    Wont stop buying - Finest sausages , Recycled toilet paper, Fairtrade tea/ coffee/ sugar
    I wont buy value meat.
    I wont give up my charity payments of £5 a month.
    Im Still smoking....

Not a lot else really, weve shifted from colgate to mccleans toothpaste as its half the price in wilkos, not noticed the difference yet, and plenty of other downshifty type things that have made no difference whatsover to our lifestyle
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • dudleyboy
    dudleyboy Posts: 765 Forumite
    Mine are very much like lynzpower's. It's that compromise between value for money and personal ethics. I've had to cut back on a lot of things but there are some things that i'm still prepared to pay more for.
  • Chortle_2
    Chortle_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Nothing :confused:

I do still smoke, but I smoke roll-ups, so the cost has dropped from £5+ p/day to £5 p/week! I've found that almost everything I buy is available cheaper somewhere else, and I've not noticed any real difference in quality if I buy cheaper brands.

I resent spending money on things if I know that there are cheaper alternatives, and not just because I am trying to get my debts cleared - its more to do with a total change in attitude to money!
    Highest Debt (Sept 04) -> £41,300 :(
    Debt Free - August 2006!! :D

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I still buy wine and beer as we dont go out. Also I will only buy free range chicken as i cant bear the thought of eating something that has had such a miserable life in a cage. Also we have supermarket curry every Saturday as a treat and sometimes roast beef on Sundays. I buy Twinings tea bags. My shopping bill is not as cheap as other people but I justify this by saying that our meals are part as our entertainment as we never go anywhere or do anything and we havent had a holiday for a few years now. Oh dear im relapsing into self pity.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• heppy23
    heppy23 Posts: 478
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't drink much but I won't compromise on that. I won't drink what my cousin calls "sh1te lager".
    I always have decent coffee and cereals.
    I've got a thing about getting bacon from the local butchers where they cut it there and then rather than getting it in a packet. You never have all the water coming out of it and it doesn't shrink quite so much.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    one economy ive made is Carlsberg Lager rather than Bud. Its quite a lot cheaper but we enjoy it just as much.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• aliwatts
    aliwatts Posts: 651
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Baked beans, cant eat any other than Heinz, and I wont compromise on cereal, cant buy shops own brand, you really can tell the difference !

I am sure there are loads of other things I could do but I dont go out either so cant possible spend as much as those that do, so that makes me feel better.

I have 2 children and my weekly shop is usually between £75 - £100, is that good or not?
    :hello: Laugh and smile everyday, it keeps you healthy ! :wave:
    Thanks for everybodies help on here, what a great community !
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I hope all of you have had a look at the thread in Shop but dont drop of "the great own brand hunt"- certainly opened my eyes to not buying the more expensive *name* as in a LOT of products, the packaging is all thats different. Quotes from people whove worked in various factories, marketing, procurement etc.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    The childrens activities swimming, dance and youth club. Dance classes are free though so that helps. Nescafe coffee, Tetley tea, fruit and veg.
    I have almost given up the dreaded coke/pepsi down from a can a day to one aw week.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ali watts, isnt it COS you are spending 75-100 a week on food that you cant afford to go out. thats certainly whats happened with us, what we spends in my sig, and we have gone out more now than ever....
    This Ive come to know...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills