MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Cheryl substitute Ashley’s mayo?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Cash-strapped Cheryl is taking the Downshift Challenge, and dropping one brand level on all groceries to see if she can spot the difference. Yet hubbie Ashley is a supermarket snob who absolutely refuses to eat own-brand food. When Ashley tries Value mayonnaise without realising, he can’t tell the difference. Cheryl is tempted to keep filling up the old Hellmann's jar with Value mayo, so he unwittingly eats the cheaper brand. Yet she feels slightly guilty for deceiving him.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Simple: He's eating and enjoying it so I'd come clean, along the lines of, "I didn't want to tell you as I wanted you to eat it with an open mind...and it's not so bad, is it?" :)
  • boopydoo
    boopydoo Posts: 184 Forumite
    Yes I would do it. My mum always said you eat with your eyes before your mouth.

My aunt used to come to our house and refused to drink anything other than Smirnoff vodka and said all other brands gave her heartburn but never brought her own. My mum used to buy cheap rubbish and top up the bottle and my aunt never complained of heartburn.

What the head doesn't know, the heart won't grieve over!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    She should just tell him the truth.

My mum tried to fob me off with cheap burgers, and putting a Birds Eye packet in the bin. I could always tell though.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If my missus started deceiving me like that then I would be wondering what else she was deceiving me about.

Furthermore I would be wondering what she was doing with the rest of the housekeeping money.

Seems like she is treading on very thin ice here.

• *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Normally I wouldn't bother hiding the 'downshifted' brand, but if my hubby was a label snob, then I would do it, to get him to try it, then if he didn't complain about the taste I would tell him afterwards.

My mum is a label snob, she moans at me when I go shopping with her (eg: "I always bought you the Kellogs Rice Krispies") jeez, how many ways can you puff a bit of rice!!
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2009 at 8:16AM
    depends pn whether its low fat mayo.. and whether capelli finds out- shouldnt be eating that kinda of stuff anyway!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • bc3000
    bc3000 Posts: 758 Forumite
    It's just mayo! Is it really that big of a deal? I'd let him believe it a couple of times and then tell the truth and we'd both laugh over it and keep on buying the cheaper one.. No biggie. But tbh buying mayo other than Helmans makes me feel a bit sick.. the others always look a bit horrible and a kinda weird colour :S
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yes - if he cant tell the difference - I would come clean after we had eaten the whole jar tho. I only like hellmans - have tried others but usually end up throwing them out.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    If cash strapped Cheryl is really cash strapped then surely she should be talking with Ashley and then they can help each other out ..Then come to an agreement about whether they can still afford these little luxuries.
    Maybe Cheryl should try the down shift challenge on stuff just she uses.
  • DezMiller
    DezMiller Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless there's a special dietary reason for the higher-priced brand you're not deceiving anybody, you're just sensibly saving money from a wasteful brandsnob. Carry on and use the savings from all your downshifts to buy him something that he actually does need! Maybe then you can tell him how you did it (if he's of the general temperament that will actually appreciate it in good spirit)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure