The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread! Part 3

Options
fermi
fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
The previous thread was getting very very big, so once again we have a new thread. :)

That great first post by In Search Of Me is below.

The previous thread (part 2) is HERE and the original is HERE.
There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!

PS have amended this slightly as I have decided that I will try for the moderation way! That means for me not drinking over the recc limits (bottle & a half of wine for me!) but I know at times this will be a struggle plus I'm aware that others want to do the same.
Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Comments

• jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I first???

ETA: woohooo I am!!! Thanks Fermi! Brand new month, brand new resolve :rolleyes:

Lurks, enjoy your day today ;)
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • Needstochange
    Needstochange Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    ooooh a shiny new thread:T Budgie will be pleased new month new thread

hi jo :wave: how ya doing?

Very intrigued re Lurkios cryptic post. Sounds fun though

Good luck for May everyone
    29th Feb Quit Day :j
  • winebox
    winebox Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2009 at 10:41AM
    Options
    hey ho third one in!
    Gotta be quick now to make it - morning all!

eta: in such a rush to dive in forgot to say:

wbf well done! Feels good, eh?
    lurky good to know you're still about & excited about.......???
    Budgie good luck with the scoring; I'll try & be considerate & not trouble you with an update til next week ;)
  • jo1972
    Options
    Budgie, I have been thinking about your May Challenge and yes, I am going to do it (if that's okay :D). I've been struggling to think about how many days as if I say 31 then I can't do the 'just for one day' theory and will feel completely let down if I have a mulligan ;), but I also need to be positive, so swings and roundabouts methinks....(I can already see GC's face, it's a little like this :rolleyes:).

Anyhooo, I shall be going for 31 please Budge and I shall once again start the water challenge as that went out of the window about a week ago :o I've drunk a large glass already so on my way to day 1 success with that one!

I will have to think if there is anything I would like to change about 'me' and will post if I think of something, apart from getting fitter, which is not going to happen, I can't think of anything. Don't need to lose weight at the moment, keep being told I'm too thin, but this is due to the fact that I only ingest alcohol and no food. After 31 days of eating I shall be as big as a bus and might need to do a losing weight challenge in June :rotfl:

(I typed this message before 10am and have been hovering for an hour with my finger over the submit button :o:o:o)

xx
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :hello:Just had a panic moment, thought I'd lost you all! Wow, this thread is popular, I feel like a superstar already. I love Colin Firth, do we get to pour beer over him for a wet shirt scene??
  • jo1972
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I love Colin Firth, do we get to pour beer over him for a wet shirt scene??

:tongue::tongue::tongue:
  • happyshopper
    happyshopper Posts: 345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 May 2009 at 11:13AM
    Options
    April final scores

Name Target/30 Actual/30

115k 15 11 :D
    40somethingmum 27 16 :D
    ad1jnl 30 10 (needs updating) :D
    budget babe 30 30 :j
    dotstar24 6 4 :D
    eselt 30 30 :j
    fayjmck 20 21:j:T
    fedupandskint 19 20 :j :T
    fluffybishop 10 13 :j:T
    glasgowgirl 12 9 :D
    happyshopper 20 20 :j
    lillibet dripping 10 7 :D
    lurkio 18 6 :D
    maman 10 10 :j
    maz123 7 7 :j
    miss piggy 25 24 bloody nearly :j
    needstochange 16 16:j
    noynoy 13 9 :D
    pariskate 15 14 bloody nearly :j
    sleepyjo ?? 13 :j
    stroppy 10 6 :D
    **upsy daisy** 15 2 :D
    wanna bee free 10 10 :j
    winebox 10 7 :D

So collectively we've achieved well over 80% of our target of 378 days. I think that's marvellous! Well done everybody :T:T. I'll update this post with any more final scores that come in. sleepyjo is that right, or are you on more? budgie, you'll do an outstanding job in May, I have absolutely no doubt. I suspect you'll be rather more proactive at marshalling the troops than I ;).

Over and out...HS (I'll be watching you all. Best of luck for May!)

:idea: EDIT: Lurkio, is your big secret thing something musical?
    ...nothing to see here...
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    Options
    Well done HS and grand big thanks for doing the scores in April.

Lots of us (?) on 31 in May some other really great targets set too - as a collective force I am sure we can do it :)

I can't remember when I regularily joined the thread I only know I hadn't had an AFD before joining for a very very long time - I think joined regularily in Oct? I do remember having the receipt for the last bottle of wine I bought on my own 31/10/08.

Since then I have only bought stuff when in company, or drank when out. (or been given )

Got rid of my other birthday bottle of wine - gave it to a chum :)

Thanks for all the support and hugs. xxx
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Miss_Piggy_2
    Miss_Piggy_2 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Options
    Nice shiny new thread for us all!

Well done everyone on their April totals - I think we all did jolly well!!! Thanks again Happyshopper for keeping score!

Miss P
    xx
    **Keep Calm and Carry On!**
  • noynoy
    noynoy Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    thanks happy shopper my final score was 9 ..so still only a smiley face lol..esters secret is driving me crackers psml..another baby on the way perhaps?
    can i be put down for 10 this month many thanks
    total debt 4711.00 at lbm (4217.31) dfd aug 2012 :eek: overdraft 800 (400.00) kill overdraft first, loan 1500.00 ,creditcard 2411.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure