'Rapport' Security

Options
My bank - Natwest - has asked me to download Rapport as an extra type of security.

Does anyone know anything about Rapport and is it safe to download?

Thanks

Comments

• *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ...

I use it, and no problems.

Go here for info:

http://consumers.trusteer.com/learn

Currently only works with IE and F/fox ...Google Chrome and others set for later in 2009.
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing is not to use it on its own.
    I downloaded it also bank with Natwest) but still have my normal antivirus and firewall.
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I run it inside a sandbox to do my banking
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,295 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't know what an SSL certificate is or how to check it (or you are too lazy to do so), this is probably worth having. Its other features seem to be concerned with preventing malware from sending your login credentials out onto the internet, which is done far more comprehensively by a software firewall.

The information is a little vague on exactly what it does. In fact, that was the main thing that discouraged me from even trying it out.
  • oldfella
    Options
    I thought it was advisable to use it seeing the bank suggested it

possible conversation with bank - " so you have been defrauded have you - did you use Rapport as we suggested ?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,295 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    oldfella wrote: »
    I thought it was advisable to use it seeing the bank suggested it

possible conversation with bank - " so you have been defrauded have you - did you use Rapport as we suggested ?
    If I understand the technology correctly, they wouldn't need to ask, since they'd be able to tell. However, if you happened to do any of your internet banking from a computer you did not have administrator access to, or did not run Windows, you would not be able to install this software.

I guess if you are concerned about your bank's reaction if you did not run it, then doing as you do and running it within a sandbox when you need to is the best approach.
  • chopperharris
    chopperharris Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    take any unsecured wireless signal and the outgoing data can be decrypted.Get enough of the password each time then eventually you have the whole thing.

I suggest you do a search on wifihacking on youtube to see just how easy it is.

The reason why I dont use it is that if you rely on one bit of security and only one then there is only one lock to learn to pick.

Everytime you go to a website you run the risk of rogue code , everytime you click a link even here its the same ....you would be surpised by the number of infected pcs that are out there.

I once did a repair on a pc , it was riddled with viri , backdoors etc.The owner had scanned his passport , bank cards , bank statements and bills...now how could any bit of software prevent a fraud there at the meat level if it was stolen or a less than honest repairer?

He had the usual paid for software , but never kept windows or any protection up to date , and when it expired never bought new as he thought it was a one time payment.

If my account is hacked then the first place I will look is the bank.But for average joe like above I would reccomend not having a computer at all or the bringing back of dial in private network banking.

Everyday I get spam from credible looking phisher emails.It is so simple for the gullible to click on them , I suspect this software is limited in that it cannot protect you....but rather it protects them in not having to pay for your mistakes.

ideal future solution is to have

dial in only banking tied to a registered caller id and card reader.

Web based tied to one mac id , card reader , pin with thumb scanner

software security check before login even starts , ie no login without at least a daily scan authentication.

Live one use email link to a vpn after you login.

but even then nothing is failsafe....its just changing the odds more in your favour.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • oldfella
    Options
    If I understand the technology correctly, they wouldn't need to ask, since they'd be able to tell.
    not sure this is correct - its not an end to end protocol, it is technology you run on your PC which prevents malware working. You can use also Rapport with any other sites you choose - not just the bank you got it from.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see how it protects against keyloggers? Surely it just encrypts the traffic to/from your internet banking site? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure