New Slimming World Support Thread

Options
It has been requested that we start a new slimming world support thread so here it is :D

May I take this opportunity to welcome you to this very invaluable thread. I started my Slimming World journey back in August 2007 after some 3 months of dithering.

I remember all too well how nervous I felt on my very first night and how confused I was even after my consultant had explained it all to me! I also remember how keen I was to step on those scales after my first week on the plan but also how nervous I felt at the same time!

I still attend class each week and only have a few pounds to go to reach my target weight. :D

SW has proved a revelation for me and after 18 months or so, SW is ingrained in me so I have taken the liberty of hijacking the first few posts of this thread so that I can share my knowledge and help you begin your journey.

I am not a SW consultant nor am I employed or paid anything by SW. The following is my own words and is not endorsed by SW. It is just my own take on things having attended class for so long.

There may be the odd spelling mistake or obvious error! so please forgive me in advance! For those members that spot any - please shout!

FINALLY WELCOME:D

Comments

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will update this space with new Healthy Extras, details of current offers etc!

The Healthy Extra I want to share this week is the Green Giant soup range.

a 330g pouch is one HEB and you can pick from
    Farm Harvest Mushroom
    Country Garden Vegetable Soup
    Vine Ripened Tomato soup

they retail for about 74 pence per pouch, cook in the microwave for about 2 mins and are very yummy :D

Challenge of the week :D

Something a bit different!
    This week's challenge is to purchase a fruit or vegetable you have never cooked with before. There are plenty of obscure fruits and vegetables listed in your food optimising book. Have a read of your food op book and see what you can come up! My chosen vegetable for this challenge is a dudhi !!
  • Flat_Eric
    Options
    Slimming World is a healthy approach to eating for life.

All the information you need will be given to you when you join in the form of your food optimising pack.

If you are not sure whether Slimming World is for you then pick up a copy of the Slimming World Magazine from your local newsagent. Each issue contains a week's menu and also contains fabulous stories on how well some people have done. Once you have joined a class you will be able to buy your magazine from your consultant and will save (I think) 90 pence on the retail shop price.

Also have a look at the Slimming World website. See here. http://www.slimmingworld.com/

By entering your postcode, all your local groups will be displayed and you can then pick the group that is most convenient for you.

Also available from the Slimming World website is a free 7 day trial menu

see here
    http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy_eating/free_trial_menu.aspx
  • Flat_Eric
    Options
    Why wont anyone share the password for the Slimming World Members site Lifeline Online?

It may seem unfair that those members who attend class each week and therefore know the password do not share it! The simple answer to this is that the sharing of the password will get this invaluable forum shut down.

I can say no more on the subject as the following letter sums it up perfectly. This letter was posted by another member on our previous SW thread. I understand the letter was sent by SW in respect of another SW support forum.

Dear Administrator,

I’ve received a letter from a Slimming World member who is very disappointed to see that the password for LifelineOnline is being shared on your forum. Whilst I can see that your forum is a source of mid-week support and motivation for many members – and possibly non-members too – I would appreciate it if you could ensure that the password isn’t published on your pages.

Group members pay a weekly fee which includes exclusive access to the site. LifelineOnline is an extension of Slimming World, rather than a support system in itself, by passing the password on to non-members it is depriving them of experiencing for themselves the unique support of a Slimming World group and Image Therapy. We are the only slimming company that allows members free access to a member’s website via a password (other companies charge for this service); if the password continues to be made available to non-members on unofficial forums, we may have to review LifelineOnline ‘free’ status.

We do take this seriously because we want to offer our members the very best online support and help for free. I hope you can appreciate that and are able to action this on your support forum as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Nicola Slack
    Slimming World Assistant Website Editor

How much does it cost?

Students / persons over 60 weekly fee of £4.25
    other members weekly fee of £4.50

missed weeks have to be paid for. It is therefore important to inform your consultant if you will not be attending the following week. A quick phone call or e-mail to your consultant is strongly advisable if you have left class and then find out you can't make the following week. As the classes go digital, the computer is too clever for its own good and will know if you didn't attend the previous week and if holiday hasn't been booked you will be asked for two weeks money.

If you miss too many weeks, it will be cheaper for you to rejoin rather than pay all your back fees.

What is a countdown?

You can purchase a 6 week or 12 week countdown. Simply you either pay for 5 weeks in advance (£22.50) (and get 1 free) or pay for 12 weeks in advance (£45.00) and get 2 weeks free.

A countdown is not suitable for shift workers.

If you are still attending a paper based class then it is sensible when you request your countdown to note with your countdown request that you require (at least) 2 weeks holiday. When SW issue your countdown, it will only be for the specified number of weeks (starting with the week you requested it). Therefore if you miss a week then that week is lost and your consultant will not be able to let you off as the little vouchers have expiry dates on. Your SW consultant could lose her job if she was to accept countdown vouchers that have expired.

Even if you don't have any holiday planned, requesting some will give you a couple of weeks grace should something crop up.

If you have gone digital then you need to inform the team member who takes your money of any holiday PRIOR TO them making the countdown request on the computer. The computer throws a wobbly if the countdown is booked and paid for and you then try to book holiday for any weeks during the countdown period.

Attending class isn't for me? How can I get hold of the books?

You have two options: -
    1. Join a class, attend for your first week, pay your joining fee/ first week subs, collect your food optimising and never go back or;
    2. take out a bank loan and buy on ebay!
    I don't advocate either of the above but for some of you, this may be your only option.

Ebay is good for the slimming world magazine – I buy duplicates and cut one up which I then put in my recipe folder and retain one so that I can re-read the success stories / useful articles.

It is not good however for the books particularly the food optimising pack which members get when they join SW. They change hands for extortionate sums! So be warned! A friend of mine recently paid £9 just for the extra easy book.

It makes me cross when I know how reasonable the recipe books are to buy at class and I see them for sale on ebay for stupid sums.

Attending class each week is not cheap and I also appreciate that with family / work commitments, it just might not be possible for you. Therefore my preferred choice is option 1. Attending class for just one week will at least give you the opportunity to see what it is all about, will mean that the plan is explained to you and will mean you can ask any questions you may have and also see how well other members have done on the plan.

What can I expect when I go to my first class?

Rest assured you will be made to feel VERY WELCOME. I am pretty sure that to be a SW consultant, you must have previously been a SW member and lost weight with SW. Thus your consultant will at some point have started the journey you are now embarking on.

Your consultant will more than likely have a “social team” i.e. a team of 2 or 3 SW members who will look after the collection of subs and the weigh in of existing members. Please be rest assured that if a fellow member is on the social team, they will have signed something to say that everything will be kept confidential.

This then frees up the consultant to look after you !

Your consultant will give you your food optimising pack and will spend some time explaining about the plan, how it works, red / green / extra easy days. And answer any questions you may have.

Image Therapy will then follow.

This will no doubt vary from class to class but typically will involve the consultant reading the news i.e. advising of the password, advising of the accumulative weight loss for your group, informing you of any promotions, freebies, money off vouchers that she has received, any new cookbooks that might be out etc / any slimming world promotions i.e. the current promotion that is running for slimming world being in its 40th year.

She will then speak to each member individually. She will report on how well you have done i.e. how many pounds you have lost. She will ask you how you are getting on with things and whether you have anything cropping up during the following week that might throw a spanner in the works, such as a meal out, a weekend away at a wedding. Any problems you have will be addressed either by the consultant or by the other members.

If you have had a gain then your consultant will typically say ????. little gain this week, how do you feel about that? In our class, my consultant does not typically report on the exact gain just that there has been a gain. Everyone wil be supportive and you will not be judged.

What is / why do I have to complete a food diary.

When you join SW, your food optimising pack will contain 4 weeks worth of food diaries.

You should complete food diaries for your first four weeks and hand these to your consultant. This gives her the opportunity to see how you are getting on and whether your understanding of the plan is correct. She will therefore be able to offer any comments or suggestions to enable you to get the most from SW.

What is an SAS Log?

What is FAST FORWARD?

FF or Fast Forward is for want of a better explanation, a secret plan that SW consultants have up their sleeve for those times when it just isn't working for members. As I understand it (having not followed it personally) its very restrictive and EVERYTHING has to be counted.
  • Flat_Eric
    Options
    There can be nothing more frustrating than to stand on those scales and be rewarded with a gain particularly if you have followed the plan 110% and even more so when the person sat next to you is celebrating a loss of 3.5 pounds and went out twice and cant help beam as she reports on how she went to one of those all you can eat chinese places oh and fitted in chocolate fudge cake and clotted cream too!

Rest assured, if you are sticking to the plan then the results WILL show. as hard as it is, you should look at your weight loss over the month rather than the individual week.

Have a look at the following questions..... I put this together for a friend who was following SW when things hit a sticky patch.

Hello sorry to hear you have maintained for the second week running. A work colleague who joined slimming world recently. She had a gain the other week of 3.5 pounds so I wrote the attached for her (she only works part time). I am sorry I waffle on for so long but it might be helpful? One thought, what did you wear to WI? If you wear jeans - these themselves can weigh 2 pounds. I have scales at home and I am always amazed at my varying weight depending on what clothes I wear....

Questions you need to ask yourself…..

1. Are you eating enough?

If not then your body will complain and either you wont lose weight as your body will be holding on to everything it can. This seems to be a familiar complaint in our group.

2. Are you having mainly green days?

Another familiar complaint in our group. We have Members who have stuck to the plan 100% but put on or maintain and they often say they have done mainly green. Our consultant says of green days that it takes longer to digest green day food and comments that you will still lose the same amount of weigh over the same period, it will just happen differently?!

3. Are you drinking enough water?

If not and you are having lots of green days then you are not enabling your body to digest the food properly and you will probably feel all bunged up and horrid. I am having more green days now than before as I love my jacket chips and there are more foods that are free that I can have on a green day than a red so on a green day I can help keep my syns down. A typical green day for me would be beans on toast for lunch (beans free and bread HEB) with Jacket chips (potatoes cooked on jacket potato setting in my microwave then sliced up and put on a baking tray, spray with fry light and wait for skins to crisp up). Yum yum yum! I have this with either fried eggs (cooked with frylight) and mushrooms and ham as my other Healthy Extra B – you can get about 4 or 5 slices of ham for 85 g! or those quorn cracked pepper fillets (which are free on both green/red) All of these food items are free or using healthy extras meaning I can have a glass of wine and some sauce with my meals and still stay within 10 – 12 syns

4. Are you having enough variety?

I try to vary my menus each week and try different / new things. I think this is important as if you eat the same all the time (you and your body will get bored!) It is also important to treat yourself and allow yourself naughty things occasionally.

5. Are you weighing your healthy extras?

Another familiar question asked by our consultant and not often answered by the member! I religiously weigh my cheese and other bits and pieces but I think it is common fault to just guess the 28g once you have been doing it a while.

5a Are you consuming hidden syns?

It seems the same product i.e. a Sainsurys packet rice can have more syns or not be free as compared to the same product made by Batcherlors. One of our members put on 4 pounds this week and said one of the reasons for this was that the Crosse and Blackwell Pasta is more syns than the Bathchelors and she hadn’t appreciated this.

For example, I have been devouring those Heinz Mean Beanz but had not appreciated that some of them (the Tikka flavour for example) were syns (I haven’t had any but would have done if I had been able to find them! And I would have thought they were free until I looked). The Italian beans for example are free so it can get very confusing…..

6. Are you having the correct healthy extras?

I think the Nimble bread is disgusting and wont buy it again. It doesn’t even toast well and the nimble I have frozen breaks apart when you try to get a slice so a total disaster!! I really like the Hovis Seed Sensations but this is not on the list in the book or on the website so I have to syn it – 1 slice = 4 or 5 syns. If I was being really ignorant, I could pretend it was my HEB although all I would be doing is cheating myself as I would then be having those extra 5 syns.

The slimming world website gets updated all the time with the new healthy extras both A and B so it is worth keeping an eye on. Also the Slimming World Magazine is a good point of reference for food news including new healthy extras and products which are free or what their syn value is etc.

7. Why not try some Mix to Match

I am really liking Mix to Match because it means I can have a substantial lunch (Beans on toast / jacket potatotes) and a red tea. Each meal (breakfast lunch and tea) you treat as either a green or red meal and you snack on superfree foods (i.e foods that are free on a red or a green day such as Muller light yogurts as your snacks)

8. Superfree fruit / veg

Grapes are not a speed food. The book reads “speed food are foods that are low or extra low in energy density compared to others in the same food group”

So if you ate 100g of grapes and 100g of Mulberries then you would consume less calories eating the mulberries than you would the grapes.

9. Don’t forget ….

Your eating habits are changing for the better and when I have a day when I syn overload I don’t worry about it as I know that overall I am eating much better now than I ever have done.

10. Don’t beat yourself up about it

11. Have what you want ….

As I said it is important to have variety and if that means having one day a week when you don’t follow the plan then so be it. If you go out for roast dinner on a Sunday then have the Yorkshire pudd and the gravy - just say I will have one Yorkshire pud unlike me who would want half a dozen! As I said before xmas, I was synning lots at the weekends and still losing weight. It was only if I was really bad (3 xmas parties in one week) that I would put on. Overall it might take me longer to get to my target weight but I don’t want to be miserable doing it and so I will continue to enjoy my treats and you should too.

Please don’t be dishearted that you have put on so much there may be an innocent reason for it and you may find you have a really good loss next week.

12. Was it your Star week?

This can be a factor and you should let your consultant know when it is your star week so that any pattern can be picked up on. Even if you are not actually having a period you might still get all the symptoms. Isn’t being a woman wonderful?!

13. SAS Log

I am attaching these which I have photocopied on to A4 for you. You need one for each day and I think it should be self-explanatory how they get filled in. These are for you not your consultant. I haven’t done one yet but will let you know how I get on with them.

14. Food diary

I have food diaries at home (I think). I had to do a food diary last week and find that when I am keeping one, If I have to write it down, I don’t eat it!! Although I do slip up occasionally
  • Flat_Eric
    Options
    I am going to use this spot to post a recipe which I will change each week. The recipe that I remove will be archived and if you would like the recipe archive e-mailed to you then please PM me your e-mail address. The recipe might just be nabbed from the SW site or it might be from a taster evening I have at class. Credit will be given where it is due ! If you have a suggestion for a recipe then please PM me.

My first recipe of the week is Marion's (Retired Lady) Breakfast Rice as follows

I simply mix half a cup of pudding rice with 1 to 1.5 cups of water and cook untill most of the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. I then mix the cooked rice with a muller lite yogurt and a complimenting fruit. Some that I use are banana, toffee, any of the chocolate yogurts plus a chopped banana. Of course blueberry yogurt with blueberries, strawberry with strawberries etc.
    I often eat this for breakfast but I also often use it as a filling pudding in the evening to stop me picking on unsuitable foods. I prefer it warm but it does taste good cold also!
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to get the thread going. Ive got my weigh in later. Not sure how I will have done this week. Im not 100% focused yet. Will be on later either celebrating a loss or admitting to a gain.
  • angie_loves_veg
    Options
    Shiny new thread hurrah!

Flat Eric - please copy as much of my post 3 as you need from the last thread.

Link to the recipe index is here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...40&postcount=3

My menu plan for today: Mix 2 Max

B 0% greek yog with blueberries and strawberries, tea (milk HA)

L (green) At a restaurant with a friend - greek salad with feta cheese (A) and wholemeal bread (B), olives (1 syn), puy lentil and aubergine moussaka (allow 4 syns for cheese), large salad.

D (red) chicken wrapped in bacon with steamed veggies and new potatoes (B)

Have a great day everyone!
  • xnatalie81x
    xnatalie81x Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all - am amazed that sainsbury BGTY egg mayo sarnie filler is free! Am going to try and convince mum to come get me and take me there lol - i really fancy it as a jacket potato topping mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Today so far

b: 2 wholemeal bread (HEB), 40g of 85g low fat philli (HEB), roasted peppers

s: whole bunch grapes, banana

l: mass of pasta, 125ml dolmio lite (2syns), 28g cheese (HEA)

s: muller and another mass of pasta and 60ml dolmio lite (1syn)

d: Jacket potato with other 1/2 lite philli (and poss sains bgty egg mayo stuff ;: )

s: kellogs marshmallow bar thing (6syns)
    fruit (loads left from winning slimmer of week!)
    poss a pack pomme bears (5syns)
    milk (HEA)

2 A, 2B, 9-14syns

Exercise: Walked to shops (20mins each way)
    Walked dogs to park (10mins each way)
    :)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • xnatalie81x
    Options
    Ps as i may be going sainsbury for first time in yeeeeears - any other things there that are free..... like tinned and packet etc
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

• xnatalie81x
    Options
    o - has anyone got a tefal actifry - do you use the tbsp of oil and how many syns does it work out???? - liking the idea of healthy 'fried' syn freeish chippies mmmmmmmm

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport