Using up fresh fruit

Curry_Queen
Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 30 December 2009 at 8:00PM in Old style MoneySaving
I don't think there's a thread anywhere that discusses different ideas and uses for fresh fruit, so apologies if there is and I missed it, but I thought I'd start one as I'm looking for some tips anyway ;)

I've just had a rummage through the fruit bowl to dig out the older stuff and I've found half a dozen yellow plums, a kiwi, 2 large mangoes and half a dozen small bananas that will need throwing if not used today or tomorrow :o

It was only after reading on another thread about not keeping bananas with other fruit that prompted me to sort them out and I'm glad I did!

I'm thinking of maybe making a salsa with the mangoes, and could use some of the bananas in a smoothie and a banana bread, but I haven't a clue what to do with the plums. Does anyone have any ideas please? :confused:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    One very small pot of Jam? :)

Actually they are very nice destoned and stewed with a little sugar and some custard.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    How about stewing the plums and then making into a plum fool? Or a crumble? We like fruit kebabs in the summer after a BBQ, but you could do them undera grill. Just skewer chunks of fruit, brush with a drop of honey and caramelise under grill. Ooh, just remembered, I have a new kitchen toy...a blow torch, might go and incinerate some fruit later.

Bananas - split skin, slice a Mars Bar into it, wrap in foil and bake. :D Nice and fattening and full of sugar and all things not nice to know but lovely to eat. Yum, we love these in oir house.

Potato and apple rostis are nice and go well with chops. Just grate apple, toss in a little lemon juice. Grate potatoes. Squeeze out excess moisture. Combine and make into little patties and cook.

I also often slice some oranges or apples into salads for a bit of sweetness.

I love smoothies! I've got loads of soft fruit in the garden this year, it's the first time I've tried fruit so I'm hoping for a good harvest later on.

Mango salsa sounds nice too. Sometimes I chop mango or pineapple into a curry. Steamed mango pudding. Mango jelly pudding. Mango sorbet. Ooh, can you tell that I love mangoes?!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Noozan wrote:
    Mango salsa sounds nice too. Sometimes I chop mango or pineapple into a curry. Steamed mango pudding. Mango jelly pudding. Mango sorbet. Ooh, can you tell that I love mangoes?!

LOL! Funnily enough it was my sis-in-law from HK that introduced me to mangoes some years back and I love 'em now too!

I've just made the salsa and I think I put a drop too much tabasco in it cos it's h-h-h-hot!!!! shocked.gif

Some excellent ideas re the plums so will get stewing them :D
    ~

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    LOL! Funnily enough it was my sis-in-law from HK that introduced me to mangoes some years back and I love 'em now too!

I've just made the salsa and I think I put a drop too much tabasco in it cos it's h-h-h-hot!!!! shocked.gif

Glad to hear you're a convert! My OH doesn't like them but it's ok, it means more for me. I'm not very keen on the supermarket mangoes as they're never ripe enough or sweet enough, my favourite is the yellow elongated ones, which I think are imported from Pakistan. Roll on Summer mango season :p

Have you ever tried to grow a plant from the stone? I have a plant that's about 2 years old now, it's unlikely to ever fruit in this climate but it has lovely glossy foilage.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    How about a nice big bowl of fresh fruit salad, keep in the fridge and dip into it over the Easter hols instead of puddings?

Make some syrup with a bit of sugar and water, and add lemon juice to keep the fruit from deteriorating. Serve with icecream (get a 99p block and slice up as required, if you haven't got a tub). Yum yum.:beer:

(Edited because the damn paragraph closed up again :mad: )
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I did think about a fruit salad but the bananas are a bit past it for slicing and only fit for mushing up into something :o

I'd been meaning to try out the mango salsa for ages so have already made that and will have some for lunch tomorrow with a piece of salmon I found lurking in the freezer. I've already got leftover chilli in the fridge for tea tonight otherwise I'd have eaten it tonight :D (did say elsewhere that I'd been living on scraps and left overs while son is away)

The plums are currently stewing nicely in some red wine and spices and they smell divine! ... can't wait to try them!

I can't believe that before the days of MSE I'd have just chucked the lot in the bin and bought more :eek:

Still got a bowl full of apples and pears left, but they've got plenty of life left in them yet and I'm not buying anymore fruit till they're eaten LOL!

Thanks for all the suggestions thought, they're great :T
    ~

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ooooh, what exactly are the plums in? I have a large pan of those black plums (reduced in Tesco's) sitting on the hob. Have been simmered with soft brown sugar because they weren't sweet at all and I did think about adding something like fresh ginger. I was intending to make lots of smaller crumbles and freezing them.

As for bananas, no-one in this house likes them too ripe - I like them still a bit green and hard. I therefore have 4 peeled and in cling film in the freezer, waiting until I do something with them. Pre-MSE they would have either gone to my dad or in the bin.:)

PS told you me and C_Q were sisters - see, we have the same thing on the go AGAIN :beer:
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :rotfl: I don't believe it!!!! LOL!

I put dark brown sugar, ginger, cinammon and ground cloves in mine (could use whole ones and fish 'em out after though) and they turned out lovely :D

Was too impatient to make a crumble or anything so have just had some in a bowl, like a compote thing, with a dollop of creme fraiche .. mmmmmmmmm :p
    ~

• Jodun
    Jodun Posts: 181 Forumite
    You can make a great milkshake/smoothie from a mango, banana, greek yogurt and some honey - yum! Or peel and slice the bananas and put them in the freezer, they'll be great for making smoothies without having to defrost them. Just chuck them into a blender with some strawberries, oj, raspberries, mango...... But make sure you freeze then in a single layer so the slices don't stick together!

Or I've got a great recipie for Carrot & Banana Cake, give me a shout if you fancy that.

Yum!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Jodun wrote:
    You can make a great milkshake/smoothie from a mango, banana, greek yogurt and some honey - yum!

That is my favourite smoothie as it happens, or banana and kiwi ... mmmm ... I love smoothies!

Or I've got a great recipie for Carrot & Banana Cake, give me a shout if you fancy that.

Yum!

Oooohhhh yes please :D
    ~

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure