The Argos 16 Day money back Guarantee.

Options
[Big long rant ahead].

Money Savers, answer me this:

Under the Sales of Goods act you have no legal right to return something brought from a bricks and mortar retailer [That's not covered by the distance selling regulations] if you change your mind about buying it.

Therefore, like many retailers Argos offer a money back guarantee as a goodwill, customer service gesture.

If you buy something from Argos then change your mind you can return an 'Unfaulty' and 'unexcluded' item to any Argos store for a refund under the following terms of the 16 guarantee - which is in addition to your statutory rights:

1) You must return it within 16 days.

2) You [The person who purchased the item] must have your original receipt and if required, the matching card that you paid with.

3) The item must be unused.

4) The item must be in the unopened, original packaging.

Do you, dear Money Savers, find this easy to understand?

I do.

I rather suspect that everyone reading this post will fully understand these terms too.

Then might I ask the following question:

If the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed on the back of your receipt, if the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed in the catalogue, if the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed on six foot by four foot posters in store...

IF items that are excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed in the catalogue and flyers, shown if they are excluded on TV adverts, shown if they are excluded on the website, shown if they are excluded on point of sale posters, if it's clearly printed on your receipt that it's excluded AND you are told at the till if an item is excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee...

Then WHY oh WHY oh WHY do "people" continually, day in day out, come into my store [indeed every Argos store] to COMPLAIN and sometimes become down right rude when we've refused them a refund because they don't meet the simple, easy to understand terms of the guarantee??

IF an item is excluded then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF an item has been used then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF an item has been obviously opened [Specifically cellophane and ripped packaging] then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF you don't have a receipt then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee for cash or card refund.

IF you aren't the person you purchased the item then you don't even have a contract with us and so... you can't return an item under the 16 day money back guarantee for cash or card refund.

IF people can't be bothered to read or understand the terms and conditions that they enter into when buying things from Argos then how on EARTH can they have the gall to shout, sware and argue when we in store quite reasonably point out that they aren't entitled to anything, eh?

If an item is faulty within a reasonable length of time, not as described or not of satisfactory quality - fine, the Sale of Goods act covers you.

If you think the Argos 16 day returns policy isn't good enough customer service - fine, write a letter to head office or don't shop with us. Don't expect an employee to override a nationwide store policy just because you can throw a strop in public.

If you hate the fact that vast swathes of the catalogue are excluded [MP3's and sealed video games for example] then blame the few idiots that abused the policy before hand and the very few members of staff that didn't QC pass obviously used products before Argos got in trouble for selling them again.

AND IF you're told you've been refused a 16 day refund DON'T come back the next day [or sometimes within minutes], say the item is faulty [when it isn't] and then yell at us when we say we're sending it away to a repair agent to prove the "fault" was a manufacturing fault [as is our right under the sales of goods act]. You lying bleeding twerp.

Yes, we sometimes do goodwill gestures when a customer item fails the 16 day guarantee, are we thanked for it? Rarely. Don't expect or demand a goodwill refund either if the person in front of you just got one or your friend who knows someone's brother's dog got a goodwill refund in a 'kinda' similar situation. Customer don't dictate our goodwill, our managers do.

Frankly I'm fed up of constantly having to comfort my staff because silly, jumped up little people upset them when my staff are clearly in the right. I'm fed up of having to calmly argue the basic points of the sale of goods act and our guarantee to people who yell at the top of their voice "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!" when they barely understand how to read. Finally I'm fed up of people saying that Argos staff are rude and ill trained when they don't understand the nonsense we go through day after day after day.

I realise most, if not all MSE'er will never give Argos staff this type of grief unless we're very clearly in the wrong and have made an error - So don't think that this is directed at all you guys.

Yes Argos DO sometimes do something's wrong, but when we do things right PLEASE don't complain about it and don't EVER be rude to or shout at our staff...

Rant over.

Thanks,
SomeGuy.
I = lurker.

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, are portable dvd players excluded from the 16 day money back, i bought mine on sunday and it wasn't mentioned when i bought it, it is a christmas present for a very fussy boyfriend.

Thanks in advance
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, are portable dvd players excluded from the 16 day money back, i bought mine on sunday and it wasn't mentioned when i bought it, it is a christmas present for a very fussy boyfriend.

Thanks in advance
  • SomeGuy_2
    Options
    frisbee,

As far as I'm aware no, Portable DVD Players are not excluded from the 16 day Guarantee. If it doesn't state on your receipt that the item is excluded then you are fine and the item is subject to the terms of the 16 day guarantee.

If the item is a gift for Christmas then your 16 days are extended to 15 days after Christmas day if you had a member of staff endorse your receipt with 'Present' or something similar. You'll probably be alright if the receipt wasn't signed and the item is returnable though.
    I = lurker.
  • ichiban1962
    Options
    SomeGuy wrote:
    [Big long rant ahead].

Under the Sales of Goods act you have no legal right to return something brought from a bricks and mortar retailer [That's not covered by the distance selling regulations] if you change your mind about buying it.

Therefore, like many retailers Argos offer a money back guarantee as a goodwill, customer service gesture.

If you buy something from Argos then change your mind you can return an 'Unfaulty' and 'unexcluded' item to any Argos store for a refund under the following terms of the 16 guarantee - which is in addition to your statutory rights:

1) You must return it within 16 days.

2) You [The person who purchased the item] must have your original receipt and if required, the matching card that you paid with.

3) The item must be unused.

4) The item must be in the unopened, original packaging.

Do you, dear Money Savers, find this easy to understand?

I do.

I rather suspect that everyone reading this post will fully understand these terms too.

Then might I ask the following question:

If the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed on the back of your receipt, if the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed in the catalogue, if the terms of the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed on six foot by four foot posters in store...

IF items that are excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee are clearly printed in the catalogue and flyers, shown if they are excluded on TV adverts, shown if they are excluded on the website, shown if they are excluded on point of sale posters, if it's clearly printed on your receipt that it's excluded AND you are told at the till if an item is excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee...

Then WHY oh WHY oh WHY do "people" continually, day in day out, come into my store [indeed every Argos store] to COMPLAIN and sometimes become down right rude when we've refused them a refund because they don't meet the simple, easy to understand terms of the guarantee??

IF an item is excluded then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF an item has been used then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF an item has been obviously opened [Specifically cellophane and ripped packaging] then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee.

IF you don't have a receipt then you can't return it under the 16 day money back guarantee for cash or card refund.

IF you aren't the person you purchased the item then you don't even have a contract with us and so... you can't return an item under the 16 day money back guarantee for cash or card refund.

IF people can't be bothered to read or understand the terms and conditions that they enter into when buying things from Argos then how on EARTH can they have the gall to shout, sware and argue when we in store quite reasonably point out that they aren't entitled to anything, eh?

If an item is faulty within a reasonable length of time, not as described or not of satisfactory quality - fine, the Sale of Goods act covers you.

If you think the Argos 16 day returns policy isn't good enough customer service - fine, write a letter to head office or don't shop with us. Don't expect an employee to override a nationwide store policy just because you can throw a strop in public.

If you hate the fact that vast swathes of the catalogue are excluded [MP3's and sealed video games for example] then blame the few idiots that abused the policy before hand and the very few members of staff that didn't QC pass obviously used products before Argos got in trouble for selling them again.

AND IF you're told you've been refused a 16 day refund DON'T come back the next day [or sometimes within minutes], say the item is faulty [when it isn't] and then yell at us when we say we're sending it away to a repair agent to prove the "fault" was a manufacturing fault [as is our right under the sales of goods act]. You lying bleeding twerp.

Yes, we sometimes do goodwill gestures when a customer item fails the 16 day guarantee, are we thanked for it? Rarely. Don't expect or demand a goodwill refund either if the person in front of you just got one or your friend who knows someone's brother's dog got a goodwill refund in a 'kinda' similar situation. Customer don't dictate our goodwill, our managers do.

Frankly I'm fed up of constantly having to comfort my staff because silly, jumped up little people upset them when my staff are clearly in the right. I'm fed up of having to calmly argue the basic points of the sale of goods act and our guarantee to people who yell at the top of their voice "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!" when they barely understand how to read. Finally I'm fed up of people saying that Argos staff are rude and ill trained when they don't understand the nonsense we go through day after day after day.

I realise most, if not all MSE'er will never give Argos staff this type of grief unless we're very clearly in the wrong and have made an error - So don't think that this is directed at all you guys.

Yes Argos DO sometimes do something's wrong, but when we do things right PLEASE don't complain about it and don't EVER be rude to or shout at our staff...

Rant over.

Thanks,
    SomeGuy.

completely agree with you on this, as a coincidence bought a portable dvd player on wednesday 14th but on opening found i couldn't hear the film for the grinding noise coming from the player so returned to the shop for an exchange...

i was standing behind several people and listened to one woman complain about a dvd player and wanting to return it, couldn't understand why the staff member refused on the grounds of no receipt,no packaging and no remote control.
    the customer stated the 16 day return policy and demanded her money back, she caused so much trouble that in the end she was able to exchange and pay the difference for a dearer model
    another "woman" complained about a vacuum cleaner she had bought handed over receipts her store credit card and a pile of other paperwork and when the girl behind the counter asked for the vacuum cleaner the woman had to go to her car and collect it!
    20 minutes later i got to the counter explained my problem which was delt with in a professional manner and left shortly afterwards with a replacement for my faulty portable dvd and wished the staff all a happy xmas :rudolf:

i had nothing but respect for the young girl working on the returns counter she had some monsters to work with that day and ARGOS as a company are lucky to have staff of her calibre

ps. dont work for argos and never have, just a very satisfied customer
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If Argos took items back that were clearly opened, how does people expect them to resell them at the same price, they can't. They would have to knock money off, or resell them to other parties at less favourable rates. We would all be complaining if they did this because prices would have to go up.

There's no excuse for bad behaviour to staff and vice versa. Majority of staff are friendly and polite from what I have seen.

I hope the staff get a Christmas bonus they need it this time of year being so busy, stressed :)
  • SomeGuy_2
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    I hope the staff get a Christmas bonus they need it this time of year being so busy, stressed :)

We don't get ours until summer, even then the conditions are quite hard based on trading conditions and targets.

My highest bonus from Argos was £178.54, my lowest was £7.14.

:xmassign:

Regards,
    SomeGuy.
    I = lurker.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well said SomeGuy. I have tried putting up similar posts before when people try to abuse policies .. often by not reading T&C or simply by being liars (a lovely example to set their children). Its good to see it from the other side as well.

When I worked in customer services it was a simple case of the more lies the customer told and the more ranting they did the less likely they were to get a refund. If they were calm and explained the situation truthfully then they stood a better chance (but I could only work within the rules I had been given ... what annoyed me the most was when some 'trumped up piece of trash' (aka customer) had verbally abused me and I stood by the company policy only for some manager to overrule me .. the smug look on their faces was hard to take ... my only revenge thereafter would be to keep them waiting for as long as possible).

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    SomeGuy wrote:
    [Big long rant ahead].

Rant over.

Thanks,
    SomeGuy.

I absolutely agree with all of your post, just shortened it here. I for one have never in my life had a problem with Argos, always found them to be fair in store, with delivery, reserve and collect and wait for it Argos direct, and collection as well and nor have i ever worked for them :santa2:
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Argos just seemed to make there own laws when trying to return my faulty phone. I had the copy of the sales of goods act with me and they basically said that it was wrong.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Helix wrote:
    Argos just seemed to make there own laws when trying to return my faulty phone. I had the copy of the sales of goods act with me and they basically said that it was wrong.

My daughter's boyfriend had absolutely no problems returning a faulty 'phone. Do you want to expand on your circumstances?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure