Cash for old unwanted broken jewellery

Options
I recently stumbled across an old jewellery box of mine and found some really old gold jewellery most of it broken chains that I meant to get around repairing but never did. I also had a host of single earrings :confused:.

Anyway I did a bit of googling about selling them before having to pluck up the courage to finally bin them and found a site which buys old gold broken or not. It's called webuyoldgold and when you visit the site you can request a free post Royal mail special delivery envelope from them which is insured for £1000 which comes in a couple of days, send your jewellery and they contact you by phone or email with an offer and they transfer the money direct to your bank account or via paypal. You can also take it into their shop if preferred they are based in Dundee.

I have sent my broken old jewellery which included about 6 single earrings (maybe I thought I would find these earrings at some point??!!!) this week so will see what offer I get for them next week. Either way it's a bonus as I would have finally ceased hoarding and thrown them away so even if I get a fiver it's free money that only cost a few minutes of my time and nothing to post them.:rotfl:

Thanks lew in my excitement and haste I forgot to add the all important website address http://www.webuyoldgold.co.uk redface.gif

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

You can see miss_angie1 comments on how she got on below.

Warning: Do be careful sending your valuables to anyone, ensure they are legit and you trust them first.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)

Comments

• lew
    lew Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read God's Word the Bible Daily and your love for God will Grow ... jw.org
  • nickym
    nickym Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    Most small, independent jewellery shops are taking in old gold for cash or part exchange now :D
    THE LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY :beer:
  • yummy-mummy-amy
    Options
    my local jewellers buy 2nd hand or unwanted broken gold and pay a decent amount - i wouldnt trust sending it via post incase you never got either the gold or the money back.
    due to spilling coffee :coffee: on my keyboard it works when it wants to :rotfl:

member 1254 sealed pot 4
  • WibNibs
    WibNibs Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    my local jewellers buy 2nd hand or unwanted broken gold and pay a decent amount - i wouldnt trust sending it via post incase you never got either the gold or the money back.

I agree with this.
    Freebie Junkie
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd go around a few local jewellers too. Bear in mind that gold prices are on the up at the moment.
  • Tallullah
    Options
    Or sell it on ebay. I did that with a lot of old broken silver and gold jewellery and did ok out of it.
  • miss_angie1
    Options
    Just received a call from webuyoldgold.co.uk and they received my jewellery which I posted on Friday and will be getting £134.26 for it. The money will be credited to my account in the next 2-3 days:j

The gentleman I spoke to was really lovely too. Still cannot believe my jewellery was worth that much as it wasn't even a large number of items that I sent.

What a great start to the week:D
  • telboy71
    Options
    how much would you say it weighed in total as i have about 20 grams of old gold i was looking to sell on if the price was right
  • nanokitten
    Options
    scroll down to bottom for trade prices for scrap

http://www.cooksongold.com/metalprices/

if you look at the gold fix graphs over a year you'll see the price of gold is the highest its been whether it'll up or down is anyones guess.

I'd get a few quotes before parting with my metal - there are tons of jewellers who buy scrap as its the only way for them to make any money at the moment (that and selling bullion).
  • miss_angie1
    Options
    telboy71 wrote: »
    how much would you say it weighed in total as i have about 20 grams of old gold i was looking to sell on if the price was right

I didn't weigh it beforehand so not really sure. I didn't think it would be that valuable but I am more than happy with the amount I received. You can call them on the following number for a rough idea on the worth of the gold you have on 01382 224 859 or email [EMAIL="info@webuyoldgold.co.uk"]info@webuyoldgold.co.uk[/EMAIL] to request a call back.

Hope this helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family