MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?

Kate buys a new £50 party dress for a party at her boyfriend Will’s country house. She wears it, has a good time and spills some champagne down it. A week later, she’s back in the shop and (quelle horreur!) the same frock’s on the sale rail, reduced to just £25. Then it strikes her the receipt’s still in her handbag. Should Kate buy the dress again in the sale and return the new (unworn) one with the full-price receipt, to sneakily get £25 back? (It’s within the store’s 14 day return period).

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you keep a winning lottery ticket?
Would you pick herbs from a strangers's hedge?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• narabanekeater
    narabanekeater Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    Id take it back as long as I hadnt worn it
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • I'd never thought to do it but I'd consider it now!

I usually see the item in the sale and I'm gutted it is cheaper as I love a bargin but tbh I'll have got it ages before the sale anyway so it would be outwith the 14 days and by that time I will have got enough wear out of the item to warrant the higher price
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever :(
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

• barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    :rotfl:
    I'd never thought to do it but I'd consider it now!

I usually see the item in the sale and I'm gutted it is cheaper as I love a bargin but tbh I'll have got it ages before the sale anyway so it would be outwith the 14 days and by that time I will have got enough wear out of the item to warrant the higher price
    A lot of stores put a permanent marker dot (red for next) or snip in the neck label / washing instruction label to indicate sale stock - a lot of shops have thought of this... not enough of the forum staff have had cr&p retail jobs...:rotfl:
  • I do this all the time :D

barnaby-bear: Next online sale items don't have red dots ;)
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • Absolutely she should return the full-price dress after having bought it in the sale!!

The store would have already earmarked this stock item as a sale item some time before she purchased the dress at full price - stores need to get rid of 'old' stock so they have display space for 'new' stock - it's the name of the 'fashion' game!

Even at sale price the retailer will still be making a margin, however small.

I wouldn't hesitate!
  • Too Right. Last Christmas I was given a suit and the receipt... just in case it was not right. In the sale after the same suit was 1/2 price, yes I rushed in and purchased the new one. Then a few days later returned the present and took the 'Gift Card' with thanks! If I remember rightly I used it for some trousers and couple of shirts and ties.
    Happy Days. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • jilldes
    jilldes Posts: 10 Forumite
    Definitely!!

I did this with a leather suite from Argos and saved over £200. This was about 3 years ago.
  • defo, i like a bargain....
  • Of course! I've done it many times...but all all clothes returned have been unworn... I see doing this as being more savvy than sneaky!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have to say, I'm a little surprised I'm the only one who wouldn't do it...These things happen, that's life...sometimes you lose on these things, sometimes you gain...I don't think it's as straightforward "stealing" as a lot of these things are branded, especially if the dress hasn't been worn (that's not really clear in the OP) - but still don't think it sits well with me...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure