Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• RockGypsy
    RockGypsy Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Your old bed appears to be a budget one. It claims that it has high loft fillings, yet the top of the mattress is completely flat. This would indicate hardly any quilting at all.

Out of interest, what is your new bed?

Sorry about late reply,Its a Silentnight Memoire,its very comfortable just hope it lasts a long time:o
    :A :shocked::shocked: :A
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    cs95aam wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this Relyon Memory Foam Advanced 1250 double mattress from ebay. Its has a 50mm memory foam layer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RELYON-1250-MEMORY-FOAM-POCKET-46-DOUBLE-BED-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ280258346992QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280258346992&_trkparms=72%3A985%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I tried it out in Harveys and I quite liked it. I also tried out the 1440 however according to the ebay listing it has a 70mm memory foam layer which is closer to 3inches and not what Tim has been recommending. So won't be going for that. Also although it was cosier than the 1250 the warmth might be a problem in the summer.

Its selling on ebay for £299 on ebay compared to £499 in Harveys. I know its not a non-turn mattress. Does anybody think this is this a good deal? I'd prefer buying a mattress I've tried out in person. What do you think Tim?

Thanks

I can't find that model mattress listed anywhere except from that seller. It isn't even on the Relyon or Harveys web sites. However you say you found it in Harveys, so I suspect that it is a model that was made just for them. So this leads me to think that it was made especially for Harveys, and that the ebay seller is either selling seconds, or from Harveys stock clearance.

It is actually the encapsulated type of memory foam/pocket sprung mattress, which is a much cheaper (and not quite so good) version, which uses much smaller springs than other pocket sprung mattresses.

The seller doesn't actually say how firm the mattress is or the density of the memory foam.

Also you need to read the sellers return policy.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    RockGypsy wrote: »
    Sorry about late reply,Its a Silentnight Memoire,its very comfortable just hope it lasts a long time:o

I really do hope it lasts a long time too. Unfortunately the odds are stacked against it though.....sorry.
  • cs95aam
    cs95aam Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't find that model mattress listed anywhere except from that seller. It isn't even on the Relyon or Harveys web sites. However you say you found it in Harveys, so I suspect that it is a model that was made just for them. So this leads me to think that it was made especially for Harveys, and that the ebay seller is either selling seconds, or from Harveys stock clearance.

It is actually the encapsulated type of memory foam/pocket sprung mattress, which is a much cheaper (and not quite so good) version, which uses much smaller springs than other pocket sprung mattresses.

The seller doesn't actually say how firm the mattress is or the density of the memory foam.

Also you need to read the sellers return policy.

Thanks very much for your input Tim.

I also found the mattress at Debenhams and they did tell me that it was their last stock of this model and they wouldn't be getting any more. So perhaps thats why.

Also I noticed the listing says 50mm deep foam. Isnt this the thickness of the memory foam?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Also I noticed the listing says 50mm deep foam. Isnt this the thickness of the memory foam?

I presume so, but it makes me wonder why they don't say memory foam. There are some sellers on ebay who try to pass off reflex foam as memory foam.
  • cs95aam
    cs95aam Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I presume so, but it makes me wonder why they don't say memory foam. There are some sellers on ebay who try to pass off reflex foam as memory foam.

I contacted the seller and here is his reply:

"the Memory Foam Layer is 5cms - 2nd Layer is 20cm - Overall is 25cm - top and bottom."

The memory foam layer is therefore about 2 inches. Sounds okay?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I contacted the seller and here is his reply:

"the Memory Foam Layer is 5cms - 2nd Layer is 20cm - Overall is 25cm - top and bottom."

The memory foam layer is therefore about 2 inches. Sounds okay?

Unless the memory foam is low quality frim China
  • jimsmith102
    Options
    hi there,

would be grateful for any advice on the merits/disadvantages of latex mattresses as compared to the foam/sprung combo most often discussed here (do you get hot more easily?)

also, perhaps tim or another expert could give some advice on which bed frames/divans go with different types of mattress (remembering that slats aren't good for pocket springs). Are sprung divans really necessary with a good mattress?

Many thanks!

Jim
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    hi there,

would be grateful for any advice on the merits/disadvantages of latex mattresses as compared to the foam/sprung combo most often discussed here (do you get hot more easily?)

also, perhaps tim or another expert could give some advice on which bed frames/divans go with different types of mattress (remembering that slats aren't good for pocket springs). Are sprung divans really necessary with a good mattress?

Many thanks!

Jim

Dear Jim.

Latex can be very expensive, but some people prefer it to memory foam. For a foam only mattress it is supposed to be slightly cooler than memory foam, but not by a huge amount. Many people who buy latex mattresses do so because it is natural.

With open coil sprung mattresses you can use any typ of base.

With pocket sprung only mattresses a divan base is preferable, and a sprung divan base will make it last slightly longer, but a sprung base is more a comfort thing. You can however use a slatted base as long as the gaps are no more than 1".

With a two sided pocket sprung/memory foam mattress you can use either type of divan base, or a slatted base with gaps up to 3" (most sprung slats fit into this category).
  • jimsmith102
    Options
    Tim, many thanks for the helpful reply - much appreciated. I am in the market for a new bed/mattress - think I am one of those that will prefer a latex mattress, but now feel compelled to try out the foam/spring combo too.

So should I understand that the base (divan/slats) for a latex mattress isn't that important?

Also, for latex, are there any particular characteristics to look out for? many of the mattresses I tried out this w/e seemed to boast of different densities for different parts of the mattress (legs, chest area, etc.)

Jim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport