Tesco fuel price policy - refund double the difference

Options
My local Tesco were 2 pence per litre more expensive than Sainsbury's, and I mentioned this to the Tesco staff when I last got petrol. They apologised and gave me a refund of double the difference. (Which in my case was 80 pence), and promised to reduce their price to match Sainsburys.

I checked the Tesco website and found this:
We do not charge the same prices at all our filling stations, but we do monitor all petrol prices within a 3 mile radius (1 mile in London).
If you find petrol cheaper in the local* area, we'll refund double the difference and reduce our price to match. However, we do need your Tesco receipt so that we can process the refund. We will verify the details and refund you double the difference.

* Local is within 3 driven miles (1 driven mile within M25).

Official Insert

Have a look at the Tesco's website here for details.

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I never knew this as seen as less than 1/2 a mile away from my tescos they are cheaper (but its esso so no loyalty points) i will try this out next week when i need to fill up. :)
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's very useful to know. When the new Tesco which is about to open near us, does actually open, I'll have to keep an eye on the local prices, once I've worked out which ones qualify as being within 3 miles.
  • Ian_W_7
    Ian_W_7 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I thought they had stopped this, as it is no longer advertised on the pumps.

Think I will print out their page from their site and take it with me :)

I wonder if they will offer double the difference over another Tesco's store - LOL - used to have an argument with our local Tesco Extra that recokened another Tesco and Sainsbury are over 3 miles - in fact the Sainsbury is 2.8 miles.

However this does say Petrol - so I guess Diesel is not included :(:( As often this is dearer at Tesco's.
  • santana-mx3
    Options
    I didn't know about this version of the deal. I was familiar with the "we will refund the difference" but they said you had to fill up in Tesco, then if you find it cheaper somewhere else, go back to Tesco with your receipt. Apart from all the hassle, I was concerned that they would not believe the price quoted as in force somewhere else at that time, especially as it may have changed by then.

If it's as easy as the OP says, ie. turn up at Tesco, fill up and tell them when you go to pay that it's actually cheaper elsewhere, then that's not too much hassle. I'm sure they'll start disbelieving people though once all the MSEs are at it. Tesco don't exactly have the best reputation for customer service.

BTW, a few months ago I complained to Tesco before that the fuel in my local branch was consistently more expensive than a Texaco less than 3 miles away and that this obviously was not in keeping with their "we won't be beaten" policy. They said they would monitor it. After a while, they reduced their price to match it. However, the Texaco garage then put their price up by several pence per litre (and this was before all the recent price increases) and Tesco have kept level with them since.

I wish they had a national pricing policy for Tesco fuel. It's also a shame petrolbusters didn't survive.
  • gobbyash
    gobbyash Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    One of our local garages are offering £4 off a tank of petrol if you spend £30 or more in exchange for your mobile or e-mail address. Diesel is 96.9p per litre making it equivalent to 84p per litre.

The garage is on the Beverley to York road at Drakes of Shiptonthorpe.

regards

gobbyash
  • wezalmemunygon
    Options
    My local Tesco is almost always 2p/litre more than the Tesco Extra less than a mile away!

I won't be able to try it for a while though cos they're doing the 5p off a litre thing (when you spend so much in store), and I've got a backlog of vouchers to use up!
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed that with a local tesco too, just need to measure the distance and I reckon it may be over 3 miles but price was 4p more, both were tesco garages though, think I'll go to cheaper on though seeing as I've a 5p voucher, makes price around 82.9
  • wallace_3
    Options
    I spoke to a freindly Tesco cashier yesterday, who informed me of the following:

Diesel is included in the price promise.

The staff will have to call the other petrol station in order to verify the more expensive price.

Tesco only change their fuel prices at night (between 3am - 5am) because it is quieter then, and means less inconveniance for customers. (The pumps cannot be in use when the prices are changed).

Head Office need to authorise a price change, so it may be up to 24 hours before the Tesco price reflects the competition.

And lastly, Tesco Express petrol stations are owned by Esso, and Tesco only own the little shop. This is why prices are sometimes different because Tesco have no control over pricing of Esso fuel.
  • Money_Troll
    Options
    :confused: what a shame really as around here Diesel is between 96/9p and 98.9p a litre but all the garages within 3 miles of Tesco (except for a more expensive one, or Sainsbur's) seem to have closed because they couldn't go as low as Tesco's (they competed ok with sainsbury's but both independants gave up after trying to compete with both Tesco and Sainsbury).

so good tip but can't make any use of this one!!! :D
  • walrusoflove
    Options
    Can anyone advise me how best to complain: I was given a voucher for 5p per litre off the price of petrol at Tesco's in Hove. I went to the only Tesco filling station in the vicinity, filled up (to the tune of £40.28 - ouch!) but thought that I might as well take full advantage. Went to pay, only to be told that the voucher was not accepted, being an Esso garage, not could I earn my Clubcard points. I pointed out that the fuel pumps were plastered with Tesco notices, the till receipt clearly says Tesco express at the top, and I was handing my money over to a man wearing a Tesco uniform, surrounded by Tesco products. It is an absolute con to have the petrol treated as an Esso transaction, especially since many customers principally buying petrol then are lured into impulse buys. I was informed that the nearest Tesco garage is in Shoreham - not even in the same town where I live and shop!!! Not happy.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure