Original Xbox (Pre-owned) for £19.99

Options
What's the deal?

Retailer Game currently has pre-owned Xbox consoles available in-store for £19.99. This is the old version of the console, not the newest Xbox 360 technology, yet at 20 quid, it makes a fantastic bargain Christmas gift.

How can I get one?

These are just on offer in-store, so find your nearest Game using its Store Locator. Due to the low price, these may become hard to find; to save on shoe leather, call first to check if they have any in stock.

If you find stores who have these available, please let other MoneySavers know by replying in the thread below.

What is it?

This is the original Microsoft Xbox console. Its successor, the Xbox 360, is higher tech and more cutting edge. Yet this old-fashioned version still packs a punch, especially at this price. High quality games are commonly available on the high street and online for under a tenner; they often sell on eBay for £2 or £3 - see Online Shopping Techniques for more ways to get these cheaply. The console can also be used to play DVDs, CDs and mp3s.

It is 'pre-owned', which basically means another shopper traded it in. Yet this is extremely common at Game; the pre-owned items they sell are usually in good condition.

Dan
Former MSE team member

Comments

• laurenced
    Options
    If you are technically inclined, the Xbox can also be modified with (free) software called the Xbox Media Center (https://www.xboxmediacenter.com) which turns the Xbox into a fully-fledged media pc, which will play not just DVDs but also DivX files, display photos, show YouTube, play your music etc. It can be networked with your PC to display content on your PC on your TV screen.

Well worth getting -- turns at £20 machine into
    a media centre which compares with machines fifteen times the price!
  • focusgaming
    Options
    Think you need to get an XBOX DVD kit (remote control, infra red receiver and ability to play a DVD movie) to enable it to play DVD's? Or is there a way around that?
  • Avs_2
    Avs_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about turning the Xbox into a media centre with the mod.
    However, is there any way you can use the Xbox to surf the web ?
  • rwilts
    rwilts Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    If you softmod it you dont need the DVD kit to play dvd's. There is a prog to surf internet once its networked , but to be honest after the initial 'thrill' i went back to computer for web. BUT XBMC is excellent.
    Ta
  • my-planet
    Options
    Avs wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip about turning the Xbox into a media centre with the mod.
    However, is there any way you can use the Xbox to surf the web ?

Yes, install Linux on it: http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Screenshots
    and then get a usb adapter for mouse and keyboard usage like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-TO-XBOX-USB-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-CABLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ120199939146QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • dfarry
    dfarry Posts: 939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £20!!!!

Wow that is an amazing price and with XBMC unbeatable as a media centre.

With the right cables/TV the XBOX will display high definition video and it looks really sharp.

I have used XBMC for the past 4 years and still it is the best, most versatile media centre available....

There's an article here... http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php
  • rangi500
    Options
    Here's how to do the XBMC upgrade
    http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbox/article/how-to-go-from-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html

You don't need a remote control as you can use the game pad, but the remote control can be got of ebay for cheap and makes it a nicer experience.

For £20 it's an incredible media player. I use it every day and think the interface is better for remote-control sofa use than anything on the PC. Probably not as good as the mac mini but about 15 times cheaper!

You can easily connect your xbox to you home network (it has a standard network port), so you watch files shared from your pc. This is the main way I use it and it works flawlessly every day.

Love how XBMC goes on the internet to look stuff up as needed too. For example, the main menu scrolls live news stories from RSS feeds of your choice across the bottom of the screen. Also, if you have divx movies on your xbox/network then it'll go get all the info from IMDB, so you have a movie description, thumbnail, actor names etc.
  • shere1
    shere1 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    Be careful with the DVD remote controls on sale via ebay. The hong kong clones are very poor quality.
  • alan_williamson
    Options
    sorry ladies & gents.

Game York have no such offer, and are looking very closely to see why they have had an enquiry. I asked them if I could take advantage of the offer, and they said quite clearly that they have XBox originals at £39.99.

So I have to ask where you got your info from?
  • psychonautjay
    Options
    washington, tyne and wear branch haven't heard of it either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills