We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

growing herbs?

Options
If I were to plant some coriander seeds (that you can buy whole as a spice), would they grow into a coriander plant? ???

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the Gardeners World info on coriander. It says sow (so it must grow from seeds) out in March but I'd bung 2 or 3 seeds in a little pot on your kitchen windowsil now. You can always plant it out into the garden later (and, if it grows you don't have to go outside in the rain when you want to use some).

I'm going to try this with a couple of cloves of garlic. Apparently they like the cold so I'm going to but them in a pot outside and cover it so it thinks it's dark and wintery and see what happens.

Thanks for this, it's making me wonder what else I've got in the cupboard I can plant and see what happens.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I grow coriander from seed every year. To start with buy a gardening packet (cause I think the ones bought as a spice from supermarkets may have some sort of preserve on the shell.) Space a few seeds out in a pot as said before and put on your window if you do this every week you will have coriander growing at different stages all season. You can plant out in spring. As soon as they are ready pick the leaves to eat or freeze them, leave the flowers till they have seeded pick the seeds and then you can either use those to grind for curries or put in a dark place for next year to use to grow more plants. I have a yearly stock of seeds, in fact you can grow it all year round on your windowsill. Hope this helps
    Caroline
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this, it's making me wonder what else I've got in the cupboard I can plant and see what happens.

Just been thinking about this and thought I ought to mention DON'T plant bird seed - doesn't it grow opium or something else you can be arrested for, or is that just an urban legend  ??? ;D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks!

I don't have a garden though so it'll be staying in a pot!

I have some chilli seeds Nandos gave me too, maybe I'll try those :)

My dad claims that years ago he threw away a packet of coriander seed spices in the garden and it grew a load of coriander in the grass ::)
  • scrimperjan
    Options
    You've nothing to lose by trying! If I am a bit dubious about whether seeds are going to grow I test a few by folding them in a few thicknesses of damp kitchen paper and keeping them somewhere warm and dark for a few days (but you have to remember to keep checking that it's still damp...). You can keep unfolding the paper and checking to see if there is any sign of life. It saves the trouble of sowing in pots or trays only to find that nothing happens.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coriander is easy to grow from gardening seeds, can't comment on seeds for cooking, but have successfully grown from "home grown" seeds too.
    If you only want to use the leaves, it will be fine in a pot, but if you want seeds, I would suggest a tub, as it grows to about 2 ft. or so.
    For a continuous supply of leaves, sow seed(s) every 2-3 weeks.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have grown coriander from cooking seeds but it came all spindly and went to flower really quickly.

I suspect that it is a strand meant to do this so it can produce more seeds (rather than leaves). I think it depends what you want it for, if for leaves you can buy the one that is special to produce leaves, or if you want seeds the other one.

Not sure what I am talking about really....

But I have also grown coriander from last year's plant seeds, when they flower just put a stocking top on the flower so that when it goes to seed all the seeds fall into the stocking and not on the ground (do the same with leeks and onions seeds!)

Ciao

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • silverlady_2
    Options
    It's worth looking at Netto in the coming weeks.
    I buy most of my herb, veg, salad and flower seeds from them.
    Last year they were 19p a packet.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    crana999 wrote:
    My dad claims that years ago he threw away a packet of coriander seed spices in the garden and it grew a load of coriander in the grass ::)
    LOL this reminds me of my garden!! It has been infested with a type of chive, and whenever I cut the grass there's this pungent onion smell for ages!!!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    I want to grow some herbs. I don't have a garden, so they would sit on my kitchen window sill. My ideal combination would be;

Basil
    Corriander
    Chives

Am I better to buy soil, a couple of pots and seeds or is it just as worthwhile for my to spend 79p on the supermarket tubs?

Thanks
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport