PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• nikiyoung
    nikiyoung Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    I loved the ginger cake with the lemon sauce can anyone find the recipe for that?
    I was at primary school in the 70's and we all had to have the school dinners. My DD's are both at primary now and the food is so bad that only a handfull of children have school dinners! Hopefully it will change in September as there is a new contract starting then, but i'm not counting my chickens!
    :wave:
  • Poggie123
    Poggie123 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone remember a pud called Chocolate Toothpaste? It was a tart with a pastry base and really thick chocolate goo on top and a dollop of that foamy cream stuff. It was lovely!!! Not sure if it's a regional thing though as my OH didn't have it at his school. If anyone has a recipe I'd love to know it!!!???:D
  • SusanCarter
    SusanCarter Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Poggie123 wrote:
    Does anyone remember a pud called Chocolate Toothpaste? It was a tart with a pastry base and really thick chocolate goo on top and a dollop of that foamy cream stuff. It was lovely!!! Not sure if it's a regional thing though as my OH didn't have it at his school. If anyone has a recipe I'd love to know it!!!???:D
    I grew up on Teeside and it sounds vaguely familiar to me but I don't have a recipe. Could have just been a pastry case with cold chocolate blancmange and then cream on top?
  • kal25
    kal25 Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    We must all be getting old ;D

I also was discussing the old school dinners not so long ago. I used to love them - especially the puds. We had, custard, chocolate custard, pink custard and green (mint) custard which I absolutely adored - could do with a recipe for that. :D

I always wondered this until my BIL told me.Make up the custard as normal then add a few drops of green food colouring (however green you want it) then add a few drops of mint flavouring and bingo green mint custard just like school. For pink custard just add a few drops of red colouring.
    :smileyhea:heart: Mrs Lea Nov 5th '11 :heart::smileyhea
  • leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to have the cheapest thing - 14p for curry and rice

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • crazydot3
    Options
    hi , can anyone tell me the recipe for "fudge Tart " i loved this at school and would love to make it again :-)
  • carrieparkinson
    Options
    im from doncaster too and i adore the chocolate concrete. i stocked up a few week back when they had it on BOGOF in cooplands...
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    My MIL is a a school cook i will get all the recipes i can off her next time i see her and post them!!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was lucky a few weeks back...

I used to absolutely love the millionaire shortbread that I got from primary school and had been trying out my own recipes - loads of batches and though they were all tasty, none were 'quite' like I remembered...until... I was talking to my old school cook a few weeks back and she gave me her recipe! Oh yum! OH says it's the best he's ever eaten and his dad -well! I took ten pieces from a tray down last wednesday and it was gone by thursday morning :D

If anyone wants the recipe, I'll try and post it sometime tomorrow, but I'm waaaayy to tired just now.

night night,
    Linzi x
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everyone I know that tries this always comments on how nice it is. I don't know if its the one you are referring to as I can't remember having it at school myself.

Cheese Pie

Pastry made with 8 oz flour, 1 tsp salt, 2oz butter, 2oz veg fat, 2 tbsp iced water.

1 Onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic (optional)
    8oz cheddar cheese
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    ½ tsp white pepper

Line a flan tin/dish with two thirds of the pastry. Preheat oven to Gas 6, 200ºC . Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook onions and garlic until translucent and soft. In a bowl mix the onions with the cheese and then add most of the beaten egg (leave a tiny amount for glazing the top of the pie). Then add the salt and pepper and mix well with a fork. Spoon this mixture into the lined flan tin and then top with the remaining pastry and glaze with the egg. Cook for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is a lovely golden colour.

This can be served hot or cold. I usually eat it with oven chips and salad!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure