PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    Options
    carrieparkinson
    try your local Farmers Market for the genuine chocolate concrete. It's made by an ex school cook, on the Country Markets stall, it's much nicer than cooplands
  • djtonyb
    Options
    Toothpaste Cake (I've found 2 recipes)

Recipe 1:

4 oz each of Dried milk (5 pints)margarine and caster sugar.2 tbs cocoa 2 tbs hot chocolate little warm water to mix
    Pastry case.top with whipped cream if liked

Recipe 2:

5 oz marg, 8oz caster sugar, 2 oz cocoa, 15 oz milk powder and warm water to mix -
    Cream marg and sugar (so icing sugar might be better), disolve cocoa in a 3 or 4 table spoons of boiling water, mix in the milk powder(not the cheap grainy stuff!) -this goes into a sweet pastry case. The kids also use this to make "toothpaste truffles" at Christmas - roll balls in choc vermicelli - much cheaper than the traditional type and children love them.

P.S I loved Spam Firitters and toffee cake and pink custart
    Fat and proud lol
  • Headintheclouds_3
    Options
    Great thread, but am shocked by the love for cheese pie :eek: *runs away, screaming* ;)

Fudge tart and Australian crunch were favourites of mine, but I used to dread Bakewell Tart...still can't eat marzipan to this day!

The fake cream we had contained gelatine if that's any help; I know this because you'd find lumps of it in the cream :(

My secondary school's cooks had a great sense of humour (or were psychic) - having dissected eggs for GCSE Biology in the morning, we had fried eggs for lunch. And after the lesson on the male reproductive system? Sausages.
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    I grew up on Teeside and it sounds vaguely familiar to me but I don't have a recipe. Could have just been a pastry case with cold chocolate blancmange and then cream on top?

i am sure they had this at my school, brought up in teesside also, went to juniors in the 70's, i did'nt know it was called this though???
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    australian crunch, my ds2s favourite when he was at school but dont have the recipe
  • AussieLass
    Options
    twink wrote:
    australian crunch, my ds2s favourite when he was at school but dont have the recipe

I'd give it to you if I could but never heard of it myself. :D It must be good though :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yay I found a recipe for TOFFEE CREAM TART at last - slightly different to the Gypsy Tart previously mentioned. I went to school in Norfolk and this was always a firm favourite - am going to make it tonight! Mmmm loads of calories but who cares :)

TOFFEE CREAM TART

7" pastry case
    ¼ pint milk
    2 ½ oz margarine
    1 ½oz brown sugar
    1oz plain flour
    3oz golden syrup

Heat the milk but be careful not to let it boil.

Melt the margarine and sugar, then stir in the flour. Whisk in the hot milk and stir as it thickens and reaches boiling point. Keep stirring all the time while you are waiting for the mixture to boil, then cook for 2-3 minutes stirring all the time.

Remove from the heat, and add the syrup, then whisk the mixture.

Spread the filling into the flan case and serve hot or cold with whipped cream or custard
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone remember the thick shortbread type dessert with a thicky sticky lemon sauce? Circa late 1970's/early 1980's.

Used to love that.
    :hello:
  • Headintheclouds_3
    Options
    twink wrote:

Type "australian crunch" into Google - there are quite a few variations on the recipe - for example this one on recipecircus.com

Might try making some this weekend!
  • Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I remember the homemade salad cream we had at school. Cooks must have used a County Council recipe because it looked and tasted exactly the same from infant school to secondary school. Very thin, yellowy/greeny colour. Looked disgusting but very tasty on the chips served with the salad (yeah! we had to eat salad in those days - no need for Jamie Oliver then:A )
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport