PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    From rhodes around britain. Gary Rhodes says it was a recip[e he'd been looking for for years (shoulda gone to my mums!!) he remembered it from school

8oz Shortcrust pastry
    14oz tin evapoarted milk
    12 oz dark muscovado sugar.

Preheat oven to 200c
    Use pastry to line a 10 in flan ring (or use a couple of home made/ ready made pie shells.
    Line with grease proof paper and bake blind in pre heatred oven for 15-20 mins until cooked.
    Leave to cool.
    Whisk the evaporated milk and sugar together for 10 minutes until light and fluffy. The mix should be coffee coloured. Pour the mix into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 10 mins until set. The gypsy tart shoul now be left to cool and served cold.

There you are its delicious. the ten minutes is important, do not skimp. the other thing i remember was my mum used to make it while the roast dinner was cooking, then turned the oven off and popped the tart in to cook/set on the heat left over.

Just made this Gypsy Tart - had never even heard of it before! Looks yummy can't wait for pudding time tonight! Thanks
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to love lemon crunch that was served with chocolate custard - like the oft-mentioned chocolate crunch, you had to hammer it out of the tin! it seemed to be like a shortbread/crumble base, spread with something like lemon curd, then topped with more crumble.

Any ideas anyone?

keth
    xx
  • twinkle75
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for Tottenham Tart?

If you recall your school dinner days Totenham Tart was a sponge cake topped with lovely pink icing and dessicated coconut and a base which was a bit like a bakewell base.

They do sell it in a CoOp close to us, but I facy having a go myself. Can't seem to find a recipe online.

Particularly interested to hear from school cooks on this one...... for that authentic taste!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi twinkle,

I've had a look on Old Style and tried google for you but I can't find a recipe for Tottenham tart.

If you have a look through this older thread you might find a recipe for something similar or maybe the same thing with a different name: School days recipes

Pink
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of it and I grew up in Tottenham! :D:D
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen Tottenham cake on sale all over London - a square of slightly lemony sponge cake with pink icing. I assume this is an imposter. Now Manchester tart - that's tasty.
  • sammyy
    sammyy Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking Manchester tart too.(been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called:rolleyes: )
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    I used to love cheese pie - always came with spuds and tinned tomatoes.
    My favourite was always the meat and tater pie though! It used to be chunky of well cooked braising steak, big chunks of potato and gravy inside a thich shortcrust pastry crust! Used to get it with mushy peas or cabbage and gravy! yum!

We also used to have luncheon meat (like spam) with mash, baked beans, salad and salad cream - oddly enough i used to like that too!!

Looking back, all our school meals used to include a compulsory serving of veg, and you didnt get a choice, but most of us ate it! Probably much healthier - I am sure if I was given the choice I would have eaten chips every day!

Also, some days instead of pudding, we would get warm, sweet milky coffee poured from those huge coloured aluminium jugs. I loved it, and thought it was very grown up to have coffee after a meal! Can still remember the taste today!

Also, our school had about 6 or 8 of us sitting at a table, and one person would be the 'server' - I thik the teacher or dinner lady chose this based on who had been good - we all saw this as a pretty cool job, as you could make sure anyone you didnt like got the manky looking bits, and your friends (and yourself, of course!) would get a nice big portion!

Also, free school milk was great at morning break - those little milk bottles and the blue straws that came out of a little brown card box! (until it was confiscated by mrs thatcher - grrr) Being the milk monitor was another much coveted job!

When I moved schools, the dinners were pretty ropey (what a dissapointment) and the kitchen often had tins of cat food in the window, visible from the playground - the teachers used to say it was for the dinner lady's cat - we werent convinced, and had a theory it ended up in the mince cos it was cheap! yuk!
  • binkyboo_2
    Options
    I think that my school was very old style when it came to school dinners. we used to sit at tables of 8 and at the head of the table was the server and to the left the servers assistant. It would be their job to collect the food from the serving hatch and dish it out to the rest of the girls sat at the table at the beginning of each week the table rotated giving a new server and assistant. This meant that we got what we were given and if we didn;t like it then tough! We also used to have some lovely food and i was wondering what favourites people on here had from their school days and if they had managed to find recipes to replicate them successfully. I remember a fab cheese and potatoe pie and for desert a sticky billy which was somekind of rice crispy chilled desert never managed to make one that tastes as nice though!
    Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    My mother in law is a old school cook i will see her and ask her for the recipes, think i promised someone this before so sorry i forgot.
    I know for a fact she has the recipes for the chewy biscuits, the ones that were hard on the outside but chewy in the middle, and also for cornflake cake yummy.
    My fav was lamb cutlets.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family