February is 'use up' month

As Feb is a short month, I am not 'allowed' to open any new bottles,jars, packets etc. unless all others are used up. This means all the half full bottles of shampoo, cond ,body lotion ,cosmetics etc. I go through holiday wash bags for part used stuff and either finish it or chuck it!! This also applies to the pantry and kitchen cupboards and the dreaded cupboard under the sink. It makes a good start to the spring cleaning and saves on bills. I use up all the stuff I've been given and am not too sure about or else it goes in the bin

I also 'shop from my wardrobe' - looking for new combinations of clothes, wear all those things I keep 'for best'. It's surprising what you can find, and all the things that don't fit or aren't right can go! - think of all those shoes you hardly ever wear!

Wearing some of your 'best 'things brightens up a gloomy month - and saves money! :j

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• i like the sound of that. My bathroom is absolutely overflowing with open bottles of stuff.

My problem is i'm a teacher, so the kids mostly buy me smellies, and then i feel bad about using it all up/chucking out the bottle. The plus side is that i very rarely have to buy things like moisturiser and shower gel, but the minus side is the bathroom shelve from hell, which has now spilled over to a cupboard full of reserve toiletries.

I think i could be using up for a long time, but i'm willing to give it a go.
  • Thats a very good idea count me in.

I will do a stock take might keep me from going shopping this week :T :j
  • Good idea - I had planned to use up everything in my freezer anyway as will be moving house in the near future (providing we sell this one *gulps*)
    Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Jan and Feb tend to be use up months, i always go shopping xmas eve and new years eve, loads of reduced bargains in Tescos (they have to sell as they are closed the day/s after) so the following months i have lots of things to use in my freezer. I look after children, and tend to get lots of chocolates and smellies as well, so the chocs are very good to use up!!!!
  • count me in...

we have a freezer full of food that we can live on so im gonna try not to visit dreaded tesco for as long as...

we too have loadsa toiletries and 20 bog rolls so i think we could do it!!!

good luck :j
    :beer: :j OFFICIAL DFW NERD NO 159 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH OUR DEBTS:beer: :j

If you do a job well, people won't be sure you've done anything at all :rolleyes:

Must claim back bank charges!!!:rolleyes:
  • smashing idea. Goes hand in hand with the freezer `use up`

I can`t tell you how many bottles of MB I have put away after qvc tsv`s. So tempting to start on a new one or two but I WILL BE STRONG!!

I think I`ll be able to carry this concept through march as well. Oh I wish I didn`t have a squirrel store of everything.

:A
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A good thread!!

Since I am going travelling in Aug, I am trying to do the same, but over a longer period!! I have "bulk bought" cosmetics, potions & lotions in the past, so will need to use these up before I go and try not to use/buy any more.

The same with food I suppose, as it would be a shame to waste anything!!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    What a good idea.

Not sure about the 'what fits in the wardrobe' especially after an over indulgent Christmas. :o
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i've been doing this with toiletries for a while now, and apart from things like toothpaste and deodorant, i havent bought toiletries in almost 2yrs.

its amazing the amount of shower gel, bubble bath, soap, body lotion etc etc ive collected over the years (im sure people are trying to tell me something :D ) but now ive actually started using it, i've saved a fortune, and have reclaimed some serious cupboard space.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,938
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i've been doing this with toiletries for a while now, and apart from things like toothpaste and deodorant, i havent bought toiletries in almost 2yrs.

its amazing the amount of shower gel, bubble bath, soap, body lotion etc etc ive collected over the years (im sure people are trying to tell me something :D ) but now ive actually started using it, i've saved a fortune, and have reclaimed some serious cupboard space.

I got so seriously embarassed recently at the number of bottles of BOGOF shampoo and shower gel I had accumulated that I gave a whole bag of it to the local homeless people refuge! Still got enough to last more than a month though.

:shhh: :shhh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport