August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi MrsMcawber,

thanks for those ideas.

im not stupid really but how do i make coleslaw as id really like to give it a go, my lot love it.

also how long do i cook it for and could it be put in mash and then freeze the mash?:confused:

thanks karen
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What type of cabbage is it? I'd only use white cabbage for coleslaw.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Hi everyone...I'm way behind this month. Total spends for August so far are £63.18. I've started to count my mags and coffees in with my GC to try to cut back :)

Hope everyone is well xx
  • fertyskids
    Hi Chell,

thanks for asking i just remembered its a GREEN cabbage. i was really looking forward to some homemade colslaw. never mind. any other ideas please.

thanks karen
  • ShelBell
    ShelBell Posts: 502 Forumite
    Can I join in please, and just do half a month. Will start then from 1st September.

so for the rest of august my total will be £100. Eeek that sounds like nothing.

2 adults 2 cats 1 part time child.
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • Chell
    Forumite
    fertyskids wrote: »
    Hi Chell,

thanks for asking i just remembered its a GREEN cabbage. i was really looking forward to some homemade colslaw. never mind. any other ideas please.

thanks karen

How about boiled cabbage with mash and whatever else you like one day eg sausages and gravy or something. Cook double mash and extra cabbage for the following day.

The following day mix the leftovers and fry it all up as bubble and squeak. I love this with beans and brown sauce.
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    Chell wrote: »
    Gillaman, re: tofu burgers recipe, would you post that if you have time please. I'm a veggie who doesn't like tofu but DH and DD like it.

TOFU BURGERS

1lb tofu
    1/2 chopped onion
    1/2 chopped sweet pepper - any colour
    4 oz rolled oats
    1 oz plain flour
    2 dsps sesame seeds
    1 tsp herbs
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 egg
    1 dsp tomato sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
    Fry the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes, or until soft, and add to the dry ingredients
    Mix the soy sauce, egg and tomato sauce together then add to the dry ingredients
    Add salt and pepper
    Take enough of the mixture to shape into a burger about 6" or 7" round and ½” thick
    Fry gently for about 5 minutes, then turn over and fry for 5 minutes again

Notes:

This is an adaptation of several recipes I saw on the web so I can’t attribute it to anyone in particular.
    I used soft tofu, but I saw recipes for hard tofu as well.
    You could use porridge oats, or breadcrumbs or a combination of both if you like instead of the rolled oats. You could also miss out the sesame seeds.
    I don’t think it really matters if you use plain or self-raising flour as it’s only 1 oz.
    If you’re vegan miss out the egg and add another dessertspoon or so of soy sauce.
    This is a recipe which you can adapt to your own tastes – different spices, different herbs etc. I used oregano and parsley.
    Try a mouthful at least Chell – you might find like I did that it’s very tasty!!icon14.gif

General GC - I've updated my sig - 9 nsd's so far this month.
    Gill

Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • Chell
    Forumite
    gillaman wrote: »

TOFU BURGERS

1lb tofu
    4 oz rolled oats
    1 oz plain flour
    2 dsps sesame seeds
    1 tsp herbs
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 egg
    1 dsp tomato sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
    Mix the soy sauce, egg and tomato sauce together then add to the dry ingredients
    Add salt and pepper
    Take enough of the mixture to shape into a burger about 6" or 7" round and ½” thick
    Fry gently for about 5 minutes, then turn over and fry for 5 minutes again

Notes:

This is an adaptation of several recipes I saw on the web so I can’t attribute it to anyone in particular.
    You could use porridge oats, or breadcrumbs or a combination of both if you like instead of the rolled oats. You could also miss out the sesame seeds.
    I don’t think it really matters if you use plain or self-raising flour as it’s only 1 oz.
    If you’re vegan miss out the egg and add another dessertspoon or so of soy sauce.
    This is a recipe which you can adapt to your own tastes – different spices, different herbs etc. I used oregano and parsley.
    Try a mouthful at least Chell – you might find like I did that it’s very tasty!!icon14.gif
    Gill

Thanks, I've only bought the cauldron flavoured tofu. If I buy plain stuff what type of texture is it. Does it squish so you can mix it with the other ingrediants? :confused:

We have homemade bean burgers a lot, my two children love those.
  • fertyskids
    Hi Chell

thanks for that. im defrosting some prok would go,lovley with mash and cabbage instead of roasties. also bubble and squeak is a good idea. how do i do it? thanks karen
  • Hi all,
    another 4 quid spent today on coffee out (grr) but dbf paid for lunch and we're still too full to have dinner so I guess I shouldn't complain...

Kind of in shock at how close it's going to be with this supposedly *huge* budget I set - just goes to show how much I've been wasting on meals out, treats etc. I've decided to take up violin lessons again (yay!) and some of that money will be coming out of groceries so will have to watch it! :o Seem to be going ok on groceries themselves, it's just the extras. Hmmm.... further thought required methinks.
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts