July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Didnt know you could freeze basil? You learn something new every day. I bought a basil plant the other day to make pesto:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Didnt know you could freeze basil? You learn something new every day. I bought a basil plant the other day to make pesto:D

Yup :) You can freeze most herbs, chives are good, so is parsley, the only one I don't freeze is sage as in my opinion its the only herb that actually tastes better when dried, the flavour actually improves methinks. You can dry freeze the basil like I do or chop it and put it in ice cube trays covered with water and make basil ice cubes. I've made lemon balm, lemon verbena ones and borage flower cubes to throw in summer drinks, they're sat in the freezer waiting for summer ggrrrrrr lol!
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Just a couple of quick questions. It seems - touch wood, fingers crossed etc that I might come in under my GC challenge budget (goes 'til the 24th). What do I do with this invisible "extra" money? Do I take it out of my 2K challenge budget (which I think I'll fail :o) and do something with it or what? Also how much do I put down for next months challenge?
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wendywitch wrote: »
    Just a couple of quick questions. It seems - touch wood, fingers crossed etc that I might come in under my GC challenge budget (goes 'til the 24th). What do I do with this invisible "extra" money? Do I take it out of my 2K challenge budget (which I think I'll fail :o) and do something with it or what? Also how much do I put down for next months challenge?

Hi Wendy,
    If you've allocated the money for your GC, then you could put the spare in a savings account, maybe use it for bulk buys (as Guns&banjos suggested) or just save it for emergencies, it's up to you.
    As for next months challenge, if you think that you could live on less, maybe you could reduce your challenge by £20 or £50 or something, depending on how you finish this month?
    Long & short is its up to you, but hope that helped a bit,
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Newlywed - Well done, I know it wasn't good but at least you are now aware of how much you've spent. That far out tops the not wanting to add it up bit. I too have spent too much this month and dont stand a snowflake in hells chance of coming in under budget but... I console myself that at least I know where I stand on the no money stakes and it would be far worse if I werent keeping track. Keep thinking we can do this....we can do this.....Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • Diane_239
    Diane_239 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Nsd for me today,has i only have£35 left I'm trying to use up stuff in freezer and store cupboard.fish pie and veg for tea to night and have manged to make fish cakes for tomorrow.must get some baking done.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
  • well caved to OH and we had pizza, but IT was HM and delicious

Pizza Base Recipe

8 Oz SR Flour
    Drizzle olive oil
    Drizzle water
    Italian herbs
    salt & pepper

mix all together and add drizzles of wate rand oil til the dough comes together when kneaded.
    leave for 10 mins
    roll out onto tray (quicker than trying to move it)
    top and cook for 15 - 20 mins

:D

we have tomato paste and ketchup sauce and mozzarella, so a margherita type.

also managed a nsd!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,201
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everyone.
    Went to Mr A to get a few bits. Only had one bag of the cheap bread mix on the shelf. Have updated my signature going to have to be careful for the next couple of weeks to stay in budget. Don't want to fail again.
    Have a good evening all.
    2024 Decluttering 2292 ⭐️
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everybody

cat16.gif

been to MrT's to get prescription and just bought a few goodies my willpower was non existant but we did get whoopsies

will update later
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hi there I'm back just to let you know that we had veggie rice tonight with MUSHROOMS and also had a bit of melted cheese on top mmmmmmmm very nice..

I have frozen all the rest so we can have a break from them for a while
    Thanks
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport