Freezing home made pizza and dough

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I got the following from Pandora when I asked about her pizza bases. I par cook them now and they come out well after being frozen.

QUOTE PANDORA123

The dough recipe I use is from the BBC Good Food magazine's Christmas veggie issue from a couple of years ago. It makes two pizza crusts, 33cm in diameter. I bought my pizza pans last fall from Carrefour in France, they are enamel (I don't use Teflon, and it seems that's all you can get in this country) and have holes in the bottom so that the crust gets crisp.

225ml warm water
    1-1/8 teaspoon dried yeast
    pinch of sugar
    340g strong white flour (this time I made with around 1/4 whole wheat flour)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Put water in a container (I use a glass measuring cup) and nuke until it is blood-warm, around 30 seconds on high (test on your wrist). Add sugar and yeast, and set aside to prove for 10 minutes or so (until it gets foamy).

Combine flour & salt. When yeast is ready, stir in olive oil, then add this mixture to the flour. Stir until more or less combined, then turn out onto the counter. Knead for 10 minutes (adding more flour if the dough is too sticky), then form into a ball. Put in a greased bowl (large enough to allow for rising), cover and set aside in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours, or until dough has doubled.

Punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces. Roll each half of dough out on a floured countertop, then transfer to greased
    pizza pans (I usually roll out to about 3/4 of the final size, then finish stretching it into shape on the pizza pan). I then usually let it rise again for 15 minutes or more (this time I let it rise for around 45 minutes, as I had to go to the store).

Preheat oven to 230C. Cook
    pizza bases for six minutes (turn around after three minutes), then let cool on a wire rack. When cool, I wrap the bases in foil, put them in plastic bags and freeze them.

When I'm ready to make
    pizza, I take the bases out of the freezer, add sauce and toppings, and bake in a 230C oven until the crust is crispy (usually around 30 minutes). I cover the pizza with foil except the last 5 or 10 minutes because I use non-dairy cheese (Cheezly), and it dries out if cooked at high temperature without being covered. If you use dairy cheese and don't cover the pizza, it probably won't take 30 minutes to cook.

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I make the pizza dough in the breadmaker, shape into pizza's and let them prove for 30 mins or so with the tomato sauce already on them. (Personally I don't use 'sauce', just tinned tomatoes, well drained and briefly whizzed in food processor) Once proved, I pre-bake them in a 200° oven for 17 minutes. Or less - until the base just starts to colour a little at the edges. Then I take them out, let cool and freeze.
    When using, I take the frozen base, add whatever topping and bake for 10 minutes again at 200°. Works perfectly every time!
    It makes a very 'thin & crispy' base. I am now on the lookout for a deep-pan version.... just for a change.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • kb36
    kb36 Posts: 440 Forumite
    Scone based pizza/dough ball recipe
    really easy and tasty...!

150g plain flour
    25g butter
    25g grated cheese
    just under 1/4 pint of milk
    pinch of salt

Sieve flour, rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs then add grated cheese. Add enough milk to form dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead well. Allow to rest if possible or freeze in individual portions. When rested/defrosted make dough balls to serve with garlic butter (a la Pizza Express) or flatten as thin as possible for pizza base. Add tomato/pesto sauce and toppings of your choice. Cook in a middle oven @ 220°C for 10 -12 minutes until top is bubbling and base is springy.

Probably makes around 4 individual pizza bases for quantities given, I always double and freeze half.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    thanks for the recipe kb36

i have found my recipe, havent tried it yet but saves putting on the oven just for me

4oz sr flour
    1tsp baking powder
    4tbsps oil and seasoning, i might add dried mixed herbs

mix dry ingredients with 2 tbsps of the oil and enough water to make a soft dough, knead gently and roll out to fit a frying pan

put remaining oil in pan and heat add dough and cook 3 mins then turn, put topping on, tomato puree, tuna, sweetcorn, cheese etc, put lid on and cook gently 5 mins
  • kb36
    kb36 Posts: 440 Forumite
    Just checked out your hobnob recipe Twink and made them with my daughter - delicious and enough to last for a while. Kids delighted that they had a 'treat' after tea tonight. I remember reading about them but never got round to making them until now. They are about to become a family favourite! Thanks
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    This is the recipe I use for pizzas:

Pizza Dough Recipe - makes 1 pizza

225g Strong Bread Flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp easy blend yeast
    150ml warm water
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix the flour, salt & yeast together in a bowl
    Add the water and olive oil and kneed until you have a smooth dough
    Cover the bowl and allow to prove for at least 30 minutes
    Knead again, then roll out, add toppings and bake Gas7/ 220C 20mins.

Can freeze the bases with/without toppings and cook from frozen (increase cooking time by about 5mins)

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • After loads of different attempts I now used Asda pizza base mix from the flour isle. 54p for 2 separate 10" bases is great value and the taste is fantastic!

I really like stuff crusts, I tried dairylea slices as the cheese and I think it tastes great (if not slightly more childish side showing through)
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • halloweenqueen_2
    halloweenqueen_2 Posts: 3,312 Forumite
    Does anyone make those sort of tear and share garlic balls that you can buy, I like them but don't buy them except when reduced, so thought might make my own but when I did they were foul!
  • Isis_Black
    Isis_Black Posts: 266 Forumite
    I ahve made garlic butter and garlic bread in the past but with Garlic balls would teh garlic go inside the balls before cooking to then soak into the dough while cooking??!
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    kb36 wrote: »
    I use a scone based pizza recipe for mine and freeze the dough balls in portions big enough for one. Defrosts quickly, roll it out and add the toppings - it takes a couple of minutes. I'll give you the recipe if you are interested......

would you give me tha recipe also?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport