PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing home made pizza and dough

Options

Comments

• Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi,

I freeze pizza dough, but in my experience, because they become brittle when frozen they tend to take a bit of a beating in the freezer.

I freeze the dough in a ball and then roll it out.

PGxx
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the odd occasion that I have excess dough, I roll it out and add the tomato sauce, then put it in the freezer.

Then it's just a case of adding the toppings.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I parbake mine, so that they're easier to handle. You can use them from frozen.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes you can. I make enough dough to do 2 pizzas, and one of them goes in the freezer. I put the topping on though, then foil wrap it, then it can go straight in the oven from the freezer. Always seems to work. Maybe putting the topping on before freezing helps stop the base going brittle, I don't know.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant! - Thanks everyone

Purpleivy - how long do you parbake your base for?

If you just freeze thedough in a ball - how long does it take to defrost?

Goodbye bought frozen pizza, hello HM frozen pizza!!
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes you can. I make enough dough to do 2 pizzas, and one of them goes in the freezer. I put the topping on though, then foil wrap it, then it can go straight in the oven from the freezer. Always seems to work. Maybe putting the topping on before freezing helps stop the base going brittle, I don't know.

Hi do you mean you just take the foil parcel out and pop it in the oven as it is or do you take the foil off?
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I open freeze mine with toppings, then when totally frozen I put them in a plastic bag
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • samace83
    samace83 Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I've been looking for the receipe for HM pizza base but I can't find the exact measurements - anyone have this info?
    Thanks, Sam
    Smile and the world smiles with you....and if the world won't then I will :A
    Debt Free Date - 15.12.2014
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    I've made a batch of pizza dough in the breadmaker and it's a bit much for two. Can I freeze the leftover dough, and if so is it better to freeze it as a lump or shape it into a base first?
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I roll it out and part bake it, then freeze it. I'm pretty sure I've read on here of people who freeze the dough in balls too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure