PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing home made pizza and dough

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I make the pizza before I freeze it. I usually make a large batch of dough and sauce, roll out all the pizzas then go down in an assembly line covering with sauce, various toppings and grated mozzarella cheese. Wrap in tinfoil and freeze. As they are flat, they don't take up much space, and are very handy on nights you don't want to cook or get in late (otherwise you risk not having any tomato sauce or mozzarella in/not having time to wait for the dough to defrost so you can roll it out/plain not fancy any kind of preparation on the night other than shoving something in the oven)

I freeze it all uncooked, and cook from frozen on a high temperature. Give it 2-3 mins more than your normal recipe for fresh, then take a peak. Provided the base is not very very deep if it looks done on top then it will be cooked all the way through.

Hope this helps.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Everything you ever wanted to know about pizzas...

The Complete Pizza Collection

And everything you wanted to know about freezing:-

freezing threads here on MoneySaving Old Style

And the home of quick questions on freezing:-

Freezing - Quick Questions thread

And a whole lot more here...

The Complete Cooking Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Thanks everyone! Its the first time i've posted on here and you're all so helpful!!! I shall give it a go and let you know how i get on!

:j
    Back Comping after a 2yr break! :j
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hello all, I am going to make some pizzas with yeast dough, but I don't want to use them all today. I planned on making three, one to eat today and two to freeze. I am not sure what would be the best way to do it, i.e. make three bases and cook them, then use them, or make the three pizzas up entirely and then freeze them. If I do this, should I freeze them before or after coooking. I am not sure what will happen to the yeast if I freeze them, will they be the same taste or different.

I am not too keen on just making the bases, and freezing them as I find that the two times in the oven tends to make them a bit hard, and home made pizza is so delicious its a shame to spoil it with a crispy bottom, if you know what I mean.:confused:
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    could you not freeze the dough portioned out and then roll it when thawed?
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I could do that but I am not sure if that would kill off the yeast, so when it was cooked it would be hard and flat, rather than soft and bready like we prefer. Have you done it this way and did it turn out okay?:confused:
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • jasmine33
    jasmine33 Posts: 271 Forumite
    I bake the pizza bases for 5 minutes and then freeze. It is just enough to firm them up. To use them, just cook from frozen with your chosen toppings.
    Jasmine
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    This was discussed just a few days ago on this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=833321

I make them up completely in advance and freeze them uncooked. They taste exactly the same when cooked as they do if cooked from fresh (though need a few more minutes in the oven). Yeast isn't killed off. I also do this with bread rolls and it works here too.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi babyblooz,

Freezing the dough uncooked doesn't kill the yeast and it will rise as normal once defrosted. There's an older thread on freezing pizza bases that should help so I'll add your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

Also if you're making pizza it might be worth a look at the other threads in

The Complete Pizza Collection

Pink
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I freeze the dough in portions. Freezing doesn't kill yeast, it just sends it to sleep so it's fine to freeze bread dough. I put the dough portion into a bag, seal it tightly and it's fine - I just take it out in the morning, leave it in the fridge all day and then take it out about twenty minutes before I need it, so it warms up. As it thaws out it rises slowly so you get a good flavour from it having two rises. Then I roll out the dough, p-rick it well all over and bake it off for about five minutes before I top it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure