PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing home made pizza and dough

Options

Comments

• Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    I did this once, i made the dough but was too much to use all in one go so used what i wanted and just put the rest into a ball and into a freezer bag. I then took it out when i wanted it and defrosted it, rolled it out and used it as normal. Hubby (ex now) is still alive so it clearly didnt kill him! lol
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • chick-chick
    Options
    I made a pizza base in my BM last night for the first time, and it was delicious! Much nicer than takeaway pizza. I was wondering if I could make the bases up in advance, and pop them in the freezer?
  • AMIE399
    AMIE399 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    When i want to freeze them, i make up a batch of dough, as soon as it comes out of machine, cut in to portions and freeze. you must freeze it before it rises. i take it out to defrost and rise when i need it.
    slimmimg world weight loss 6lbs
    started 27/1/10
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Direct from the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky:-

- Freezing Pizza bases

I'll merge these threads together shortly
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • bargainhuntermummy
    Options
    Right - no idea if this is the right bored, or indeed right page but i'm sure you'll let me know if i'm in the wrong place!;)

I've started making everything from scratch, combination of reasons being money saving (my budget's so tight its untrue) and my son has a rare condition that means he's allergic to nearly everything processed (due to preservatives etc)

Anyway I did a search and found a fab pizza recipe via the biggest thread i've ever seen on here ,and as it makes two, I was just checking I freeze the second one uncooked don't I? (im sure I do - god I sound dim!!!) But then do I defrost it first or can I cook from frozen???? :confused: I can cook honest! Just get paranoid when I freeze and reheat things!
    thanks x
    Back Comping after a 2yr break! :j
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I usually freeze the dough in a ball (saves freezer space). I try to take it out to defrost the night before using but I have been known to come home from the pub and whack it in the micro on defrost :) You can also freeze grated mozzarella and pizza sauce :)
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also freeze the pastry and the sauce seperately. Easy to put them together when you need them.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right - no idea if this is the right bored, or indeed right page but i'm sure you'll let me know if i'm in the wrong place!;)

I've started making everything from scratch, combination of reasons being money saving (my budget's so tight its untrue) and my son has a rare condition that means he's allergic to nearly everything processed (due to preservatives etc)

Anyway I did a search and found a fab pizza recipe via the biggest thread i've ever seen on here ,and as it makes two, I was just checking I freeze the second one uncooked don't I? (im sure I do - god I sound dim!!!) But then do I defrost it first or can I cook from frozen???? :confused: I can cook honest! Just get paranoid when I freeze and reheat things!
    thanks x

I use pandora123's instructions, they were in the meal planner thread, I kept a copy, I hope that's OK. so here it is.....

The dough recipe I use is from the BBC Good Food magazine's Christmas veggie issue from a couple of years ago. It makes two pizza crusts, 33cm in diameter. I bought my pizza pans last fall from Carrefour in France, they are enamel (I don't use Teflon, and it seems that's all you can get in this country) and have holes in the bottom so that the crust gets crisp.

225ml warm water
    1-1/8 teaspoon dried yeast
    pinch of sugar
    340g strong white flour (this time I made with around 1/4 whole wheat flour)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Put water in a container (I use a glass measuring cup) and nuke until it is blood-warm, around 30 seconds on high (test on your wrist). Add sugar and yeast, and set aside to prove for 10 minutes or so (until it gets foamy).

Combine flour & salt. When yeast is ready, stir in olive oil, then add this mixture to the flour. Stir until more or less combined, then turn out onto the counter. Knead for 10 minutes (adding more flour if the dough is too sticky), then form into a ball. Put in a greased bowl (large enough to allow for rising), cover and set aside in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours, or until dough has doubled.

Punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces. Roll each half of dough out on a floured countertop, then transfer to greased
    pizza pans (I usually roll out to about 3/4 of the final size, then finish stretching it into shape on the pizza pan). I then usually let it rise again for 15 minutes or more (this time I let it rise for around 45 minutes, as I had to go to the store).

Preheat oven to 230C. Cook
    pizza bases for six minutes (turn around after three minutes), then let cool on a wire rack. When cool, I wrap the bases in foil, put them in plastic bags and freeze them.

When I'm ready to make
    pizza, I take the bases out of the freezer, add sauce and toppings, and bake in a 230C oven until the crust is crispy (usually around 30 minutes). I cover the pizza with foil except the last 5 or 10 minutes because I use non-dairy cheese (Cheezly), and it dries out if cooked at high temperature without being covered. If you use dairy cheese and don't cover the pizza, it probably won't take 30 minutes to cook.

Enjoy!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has always made her own pizzas (we're of Italian descent) and she just freezes them uncooked. You can freeze them with the sauce on them already. Good luck!
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • daisy_steiner_2
    Options
    We use the Jamie oliver recipe (can easily be googled). It makes up enough for about 8 medium to large pizzas. We usually roll out and have four (to feed four with left overs) and put the rest into the freezer in balls. When taken out, let it thaw and then knead for about 2-3 mins then roll out as normal.
    Anyone fancy buying my degree? It will only cost you £18k.:eek:
    May grocery challenge - target = £140

£2 coin savers club - started April 1st - so far £28!:D
    Boots card points 67889:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business