Options
Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 27 January 2011 at 2:07PM in TV MoneySaving
THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE POST SUCCESSES IN THE NEW THREAD

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
Digital TV Cost Cutting Article
and to discuss what deals you've been offered to help others in their haggling.
To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Comments

• raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    It is a well known fact that if you phone up threatening to cancel Sky the cancellations department will offer you three months half price or something similar. Never pay for the maintence of the box because you can get them to fix it for free if it stops working and you phone up to cancel because of this. You may have to say you can't afford it or something. You do have to be firm in your intention to cancel, and slip into the conversation descretly what you are willing to accept and know what you are talking about. Of course you might get a miserable blighter who doesn't offer you anything. However every single time I have phoned up to cancel sky, they have offered me three months half price (about 5 times). I now no longer subscribe to sky but they have sent me a letter offering me three months half price if I re-subscribe for three months - trying to get their christmas figures up methinks.
  • gatra_2
    gatra_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the full movie package inc Disney, I cancelled the movie package unfortunatly I now have to pay the £10 for my Sky+

BUT It is still cheaper to pay the £10 sky+ fee and to rent movies from Tesco DVD rental at £7.99 a month for unlimited discs the faster you get them back the more you can watch.

But unknown to me:

I had recorded a ton of movies from sky before I cancelled my package hoping to watch later, sky had a block put on these, meaning even though I had them recorded to hard drive on my Sky+ I couldn't play them back after I cancelled.

One to me for saving money and one to sky for closing a loophole.

So if you have any movies make sure you get them off your sky+ hdd before you cancel.
    Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.
  • gatra_2
    gatra_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say

I'm now enjoying up to the minute movies just as soon as they are released and not have to wait for them to finish on box office first before finally coming on to sky movies.........
    Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.
  • scoobysnaks
    Options
    I just received 25% off for the next 12 months from sky for the sky world package. A saving of £127.??
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    The freephone number in Martins article for Sky was turned off about a month or so ago and is no longer in use
  • Gem+Dave+Kaci
    Options
    I've been on the Sky half price offer for about a year now!! :) (Paying about £18 for the Sky with Movie + Disney channels package?)

Basically, I phone up when there's only a month left of the half price offer and explain that the line rental is too much so I'd like to give my months notice. I explain that I can afford the half price but not the full price and as I've got Sky +, it's work out just as much if I dropped to the lowest package (Sky + is free if your package is over £30 but you have to pay an extra £10 if it's under £30).

They might try to offer you 40% off instead but if you persevere and ask them to speak to their manager then they'll usually cave in! They will always try to make out like they're doing you a major favour and they'll use all kinds of excuses to get out of it like saying they can only offer it a certain amount of times or it's only available to people that haven't had an offer yet. So far we've had it about 6 times so DON'T BELIEVE THEM!! If they really won't budge then say you'll think about it, and chances are when you phone back you'll end up speaking to someone else!!

One word of warning though... one time they didn't offer it so I said 'fine, I'll go ahead and cancel' thinking I'd just phone up a few days later and try for the offer again. As I'd gone into 'cancellation mode' they took me off of the half price package I was on (not sure if they were allowed to do this or not?!?) and I had to re-instate my account before I could threaten to cancel again (which I did a few days later and got the half price deal again anyway!! ;) )

Hope this helps someone!!!
  • Nick1969
    Options
    I have normal Sky and Id like sky plus. How do I get it without paying the £80+ they want from you as an existing customer.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just coming to the end of my six months half price. They rang me last week and I said I was going to cancel. I know have anothr two months at 40% discount. Not great but not bad.
  • tin
    tin Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Just one thing I notice slips through a lot in these forums so I thought it worth mentioning:- If you cancel an active (normal) Sky package your card turns into the same as you'd get with "freesat from Sky". So DON'T fork out the extra 20 quid if you decide to go down that route.
  • Wayne1_2
    Options
    Maplin electronics are launcing a Free to Air Digital Satellite Kit
    Includes Satellite dish, receiver for £79.99 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48305&TabID=1&source=1&doy=21m11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure