Negative Paternity Test

Options
My husband has just discovered (DNA Test) that he is not the biological father of a 10 year old he has been supporting financially since birth (over £30k in CSA payments) and he visits us every fortnight.

We have been told this is a very complex case and we realise there are emotional and financial aspects to this news. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say from a moral and emotional position he IS the childs father and I assume you will still want to have contact (in the way say a step parent might still see a step child), however this may depend on your OH relationship with the mother. However as I understand it legally he could argue he is no longer responsible for paying maintenance, certainly I believe the CSA need to know and will stop taking payments from your OH. He may still want to contribute to the childs up bringing in a more informal way perhaps? What a tragic situation for all concerned. good luck, al x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• threesacrowd
    Options
    wow thats really terrible for you, your husband and the child concerned. i bet you are all going through hell can i just ask has he always doubted paternity and if not what made him have the test ten years on?
    ive not been in this situation but my heart goes out to you.
  • Merry_Gentry
    Options
    Oh my goodness, what a horrendous position to be in - you and your husband have my heartfelt sympathies.

I read something about a similar case, and I believe (don't quote me) but that the man in that case was refunded all payments he had made. Unfortunately it was too late to help him out of the difficult financial situation he was in.

Have you spoken to the CSA?
    Get free advice before embarking on bankruptcy: CCCS 0800 138 1111 National Debtline 0808 808 4000
    Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026 CAB Insolvency Service- 0845 602 9848
    "He who laughs last didn't get it!" :rotfl:BSC 134

• kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was the test done privately and with a CSA recognised firm? Just asking because they may claim that the evidence cannot be accpeted.
  • LouLee2008
    Options
    hello, myself and partner have been in this situation if you wanna pm me?
  • monicaj
    monicaj Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I would say from a moral and emotional position he IS the childs father and I assume you will still want to have contact (in the way say a step parent might still see a step child), however this may depend on your OH relationship with the mother. However as I understand it legally he could argue he is no longer responsible for paying maintenance, certainly I believe the CSA need to know and will stop taking payments from your OH. He may still want to contribute to the childs up bringing in a more informal way perhaps? What a tragic situation for all concerned. good luck, al x

This is exactly how we feel right now. He does want to continue the contact and he is happy to continue contributing to the child's upbringing outside the CSA, however the big question mark is how the mother will react - this really does concern us.............. She has NO morals, the sheer fact we are in this mess I think is testament to that
  • monicaj
    Options
    can i just ask has he always doubted paternity and if not what made him have the test ten years on?
    • Contact difficulties
    • Hear your child call someone else dad and refer to them as their "special" dad everytime you see them (even though he is is stepdad)
    • Difficulties with the child stealing money from us and this behaviour being condoned by the mother
    • Being chased by the CSA for £6k arrears when he'd paid these monies directly to her (with evidence)
    • Having no influence whatsoever on the child's upbringing
    Basically, lots of things crop up all the time and my husband ALWAYS raises this question in his head, but has been too scared to face it. He knows I will support him 100% and I think this has now given him the courage to face things. Sorry I could go on and on, and I have also questioned why the hell didn't you do this before? My husband is a genuine, sincere person and has lived with this doubt for 10 years - what we must consider now is what is the best course of action to make the best we can from this mess
  • monicaj
    Options
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    Was the test done privately and with a CSA recognised firm? Just asking because they may claim that the evidence cannot be accpeted.

We were aware when the test was done that it would not be recognised by the CSA and understand that another test will need to be taken (including the mother). It was a peace of mind test ???????? and we were praying that the result would be positive.
  • pd001
    pd001 Posts: 871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    monicaj wrote: »
    My husband has just discovered (DNA Test) that he is not the biological father of a 10 year old he has been supporting financially since birth (over £30k in CSA payments) and he visits us every fortnight.

We have been told this is a very complex case and we realise there are emotional and financial aspects to this news. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would want every penny back! With interest!
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    monicaj wrote: »
    We were aware when the test was done that it would not be recognised by the CSA and understand that another test will need to be taken (including the mother). It was a peace of mind test ???????? and we were praying that the result would be positive.

Okay so now you need to get another test done which is approved by the CSA and THEN you can get your money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure