PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• barrymat
    barrymat Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having put claims in to Welcome Finance and Lloyds TSB I received letters from both this last week, Welcome Finance offering £1000 and Lloyds offering £3000!!!

So my advise is if you think you've had ppi in the past just go for it, there is absolutely nothing to lose!!!
  • collette50
    Options
    Having followed Martin Lewis forever,I decided to try to get my PPI back from Barclaycard Credit Card.Used the template letter,sent it off,waited.....and they refused me.Went to the Ombudsman and after a wait of 9 months they found in my favour.The result being I was awarded £5300!
    I then decided to check my self employed husbands credit card which he has had since 1990-and has kept all his statements.Low and behold,he paid ppi until Nat West stopped it a few years ago.He didn't even realise he'd ever paid the premiums! Wrote a letter to Nat west,and within 6 weeks,they wrote to him admitting it was mis sold( both his and mine had the automatically ticked boxes).He is now waiting on a cheque for £8013! Thanks to this site we have an extra £13000.
    Don't be put off if you think you've been mis sold,like everyone says its so worth trying,and all it costs is the price of a couple of stamps and 10 minutes of your time.
    Big thank you to Martin Lewis.
  • Psychoham
    Options
    So, after my wife had a claim upheld on similar circumstances with First Direct, I thought I would give it a go myself with my Halifax Personal Loans.

Sent the form in a few weeks ago and got a call on Wednesday requesting more information.

They honestly wanted me to remember information from 2000, why I wanted the loan etc.

They even asked me how many times I had changed my car!! When I asked why that was pertinent, he said that if it was every three years or so, the loan shouldn't have been allowed to run more than that??

My argument is that I receive sick pay, redundancy pay, death in service benefit and that I should never have been sold the PPI as I didnt require it.

On that basis, do I have a case? As I say, First Direct pay out £15k to my wife on that basis, just getting itchy now that they have called for more information.

I did ask how many claimaints receive a call for more information, and he claimed almost 99%. That can't be right can it?

Can anyone reassure me???
  • Donna77
    Donna77 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to say my story...

Egg Loan: -

Canada Square who do the insurance for this contacted ME and sent me a form telling me I could claim back my PPI. I filled out the form sent it back to them and within a week they gave me an offer of £4500 which i am really pleased with. I didn't have any Loan details the loan was over 6yrs old and they traced all the subsequent loans also and made an offer on the whole lot.

The thing i am really impressed with is they traced me to my new address (i have moved 3 times since having the loan out) so they obviously put some effort in to find me and sending me the form...so all i can say is well done Canada Square.
  • I phoned barclaycard a few weeks ago to enquire about ppi on my card from 1998 to 2004. I still have my statements. The lady confirmed that i did have ppi and where to write to. The next day I called and i asked if i could put in a complaint over the phone. This time the lady i spoke to said i never had any PPI and I was wasting my time. I asked her to put in the complaint anyway as I know I had PPI. Again she told me I was wasting my time but said she would put in the complaint. I received a letter the next day saying my complaint was being dealt with and asking me to fill in that tedious questionnaire.
    At this point I started to think I couldn't be bothered any more, and I ignored the questionnaire. A couple of weeks later they sent me a reminder, which I ignored.
    A couple more weeks passed, and I got a letter saying they had upheld my complaint, and I was getting just under £2,000! I think I paid about £650 in premiums so the rest is interest etc.

I probably shouldn't have given up so easily but it just goes to show it can still work out!

Now I'm waiting to hear back from Egg loan (Canada Square), Halifax (mortgage), and a Tesco Loan.

Just got £2,400 from Tesco loan (didn't fill in the form they sent me), and an offer of £1,700 from Canada Square (Egg) after also failing to fill in the form they sent me. Waiting to hear from Halifax about my mortgage. I am intending to fill in their form if I get a chance but I have a little one to chase after and it's hard to dig up old paperwork and find the time.

However, I did just find paperwork showing that I also paid PPI on an Egg credit card I used to have so I'm thinking of writing to Canada Square again about that credit card since the claim on the loan was upheld.
  • kjd35aqua
    kjd35aqua Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know how long the FOS are taking with claims these days? I submitted two complaints in December 2012. Got a letter the other day apologising for the delay but it didn't indicate how much longer things will take.

there taking around 12 months to get somewhere with your complaint,but i'm finding that the banks are just rejecting complaints even if there upheld in your favour,so by doing this I've now found out it could take up to 3 years to get my case sorted,as its now going to a ombudsman for a final decision. (not enough ombudsman to cope with all the cases).it was upheld in my favour twice,but Barclaycard have still rejected,so annoying that they can get away with it.
  • spursdebs
    spursdebs Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Received £1800 back from Barclays for a friend, they could not find any details of accounts as so long ago, but agreed he did have them. So paid out as a gesture of good faith and agreed he did have PPI and it was miss sold, as he was self employed at time. Most of these PPI were not suitable for self employed people thats my tip of the day.I had no account numbers or details or any information to work on apart from name and address, So even if you have no info it always pays to submit a claim and see what happens.
  • cmacca
    cmacca Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Psychoham wrote: »
    So, after my wife had a claim upheld on similar circumstances with First Direct, I thought I would give it a go myself with my Halifax Personal Loans.

Sent the form in a few weeks ago and got a call on Wednesday requesting more information.

They honestly wanted me to remember information from 2000, why I wanted the loan etc.

They even asked me how many times I had changed my car!! When I asked why that was pertinent, he said that if it was every three years or so, the loan shouldn't have been allowed to run more than that??

My argument is that I receive sick pay, redundancy pay, death in service benefit and that I should never have been sold the PPI as I didnt require it.

On that basis, do I have a case? As I say, First Direct pay out £15k to my wife on that basis, just getting itchy now that they have called for more information.

I did ask how many claimaints receive a call for more information, and he claimed almost 99%. That can't be right can it?

Can anyone reassure me???

Not the Halifax but Nationwide didn't accept my claim and I had 12 months full sick pay, life insurance, death in service and savings (banked with the nationwide) , I had a call from them about 3 weeks after I submitted my claim asking me all sorts, I even provided them with my contracts of employment etc, they took it right to the last of the 56 days and wrote to me stating they were happy I was eligible for PPI and could have claimed should the need have arisen and the policies were clearly detailed and the sales were non advised. Rejection of claim Final Response. Off to the FOS now.
  • unicorn999
    Options
    Unfortunatley i didnt find this site till after i had put in a claim with a claims company,the claim has been ongoing for over twelve months,i recently had a letter from the company saying that barclay card wanted more info,i duely replied with the info they wanted,about a month later i recieved another letter saying that i hadnt replied to thier last letter for more info and so they have had to cancel my claim and as a good will gesture they would not charge me for the work they had already done,this immediatley set alarm bells ringing,i phoned the company and was told the letter had been sent out in error,so i asked for a letter to be sent out confirming my claim was still active,nothing yet after a couple more calls still nothing,i phoned financial ombudsman direct surprised how easy and quick and helpful that was,they confirmed the claim was still live and they had just sent the extra info off to barclycard and needed to give them 28 days to reply,so my question being if my claim is successful then the money will be sent direct to me no doubt with a letter from investor compensation soon after asking for thier fee,can i then turn round to them saying that according to them my claim had been cancelled and i have the letter to prove it
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have it in writing the claim has been cancelled, contact FOS and let them know this and to let Barclays know that the claims co are not dealing with this claim any more and all correspondence should be sent to you and not the claims co, enclose a copy of the letter from the claims co so the FOS and Barclays have proof of this, this may work but it may not.

Just to let you know, you were told that the claim was cancelled by the claims co, they said the letter was sent in error, the claim was still live according to FOS, if it was still live then it is the claims co that are dealing with this so be ready for a bill just in case.
    It could be that the claims co have done with your claim but you won't know until the claim is actually upheld.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback