molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bots can't read
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    His/her other two posts are equally informative.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Have you read any of this thread?

- he / it - is just getting the # posts up to the number where he can post URL's & spam !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • happyskyper
    happyskyper Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 July 2013 at 4:01PM
    Options
    [text deleted by MSE Forum Team] A complete gas refit including combi boilers thermostats and radiators is fraction of the said cost...
    [text deleted by MSE Forum Team]
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2013 at 4:02PM
    Options
    They call themselves "storage" so I assumed that is what they are, as well as convective or whatever else, but it doesn't sound like they store much at all. And the salesman massively overestimated my energy usage and therefore massively overestimated the savings, which just added to my natural scepticism. Hopefully that makes sense and isn't a stupid question :)
    is there any basis for the notion that you could use less kilowatts overall to heat the same room

No, but there is an explanation, if you look up SAP 2012 v992 / panel convector or radiant [code691] water or oil filled [code694] portable [code693], you will see they all score RD with a [R-Factor] responsiveness of 1.0 neither the European Commission [DG Ener Lot20] or our own government [SAP] recognise their claims. Essentially what is happening, and its not physics its engineering is the oil / fluid filled distributes heat to itself in a uniform way, but there is no 'heating gain :

Fluid / magic oil - gives a slower to start and slower prolonged finish proportion radiant heat at switch off

Non-Fluid / magic oil - would give a faster to start convecting and a faster to finish convected heat at switch off

So there is no efficiency gain, as you say they sell themselves as replacement [brick heaters] storage, which they are not and can't be compared to, when there is no storage other than the 10 or so minutes it takes the snake~oil to release the last of its heat. [text deleted by MSE Forum Team]

[IMG][/img]eIT7plr.png
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone, to let you know, we’ve had to delete many comments from this thread which were bordering on the libellous. Please, to keep the forum manageable, check and consider your forum comments carefully before posting, if they are critical of Fischer or any other brand of heating, and ensure that they’re factually correct and can be fully substantiated.

Thanks
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So the Fischer legal team has been in touch!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 10 July 2013 at 8:26PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone, to let you know, we’ve had to delete many comments from this thread which were bordering on the libellous. Please, to keep the forum manageable, check and consider your forum comments carefully before posting, if they are critical of Fischer or any other brand of heating, and ensure that they’re factually correct and can be fully substantiated.

Thanks

Hi Andrea,

Without mentioning the names of any firm marketing electrical heating systems, it is apparent that MSE are having pressure applied to tone down or remove critical comments.

From scores of posts on MSE there is apocryphal evidence that potential customers are being quoted well in excess of £1000 each for a plug-in electrical heater; and indeed some have stated they have purchased at these prices.

In virtually every case, the potential customer is visited in their home by a salesman.

Despite rulings by the Advertising Standards Authority that some adverts are misleading, many still imply that their brand of heating produces more heat for the same running cost than other electrical heater.

Again from posts on MSE it would appear that some visiting salesmen make outrageous claims; or perhaps all those potential clients misunderstood!

Is it not possible that MSE could commission a report – a ‘layman’s guide’ to electrical heating? Any new poster on this subject could be pointed to that report. It would save MSE from having to remove text from posts that was potentially libellous and importantly save many people thousands of pounds.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2013 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Post.1. Fischer - Storage

A question for the group - are Fischer storage heaters even storage heaters ?, they claim here :

- "is the only German storage radiator
    - "We provide the best value German storage radiator in the market"]
    - "Germany. Our high quality storage radiators"
    - "storage radiators incorporate"
    - "fireclay storage heaters provide a"
    - "We provide the best value German storage radiator"

Essentially a storage heater stores heat, and as we all know runs on a 20amp circuit at a cheap rate during the night, they in fact store between 6 & 23kWh of cheap electricity stored as heat. That average living room size heater has 23.5kWh of stored heat which it releases over the following 19 daytime hours at the rate of 1.2kWh per hour.

Having established Fischer's claim that they are storage radiators, can anyone [including Fischer] tell the group :

- how many kWh of heat they store ?
    - do they in fact store heat ?, or is the heater, just like any heater, cooling down
    - compared to the 19 hours of stored heat released at the rate of 1.2kWh per hour - how many kWh does a Fischer store ?
    - unlike all storage heater manufacturers their site produces no storage figures
    - are Fischer storage heaters even storage heaters ?

NOTE : An average 3.4kW living room heater with 4 elements and 16 bricks will charge at 5p per kW storing a total of 23.5kWh of heat to be released when you choose during the day, and will of course heat the space during the E7 charging hours..
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They also state on their website "An average sitting room of 4m x 3m with a ceiling height of 2.4m would require a 3.4Kw night storage heater. Yet in the same room, only a 1.5Kw Fischer storage heater would be needed" ...
    I have no intention of buying them, but the fledgling physicist in me has one question: out of interest, can they legitimately claim that a 1.5kw heater will heat the room better than 3.4kw storage?

Kind of, because they conveniently ignore the total heat output over 24 hours.

3.4 kW storage heater charged over 7 hours (Economy 7 off-peak period) stores 27.2 kWh. Ignoring heat loss during the charging period and assuming a steady heat discharge over the 16 hour day that equates to an output of 1.7 kWh.

A 1.5 kW non-storage electric heater running continuously for the same 16 hours will consume 24 kWh, which is about the same as the storage heater.

If the room requires approx 24kWh heat input during the 16-hour day to maintain the temperature then that is the same whether you run a storage heater on an 8-hour charge, an electric heater on a 16-hour day, or a gas boiler and radiator with a similar heat output.

The difference is in the cost of energy consumed. For 24kWh:

Off-peak electricity (Economy 7) 6.8p per kWh or £1.63 per day
    Peak rate electricity (Economy 7) 17.9p per kWh or £4.30 per day

Standard electricity 13.6p per kWh or £3.26 per day

Standard gas 4.6p per kWh or £1.10 per day assuming 100% efficiency; modern condensing boilers approach this.

A non-storage electric heater will cost about twice to run as much as a storage heater if you change to a standard electricity tariff, and about three times as much if you remain on an Economy 7 tariff but use the heaters at expensive peak rate electricity.

Unit rates above are from British Gas Clear & Simple Tariff, exclude standing charge, quarterly bill, for central London.

Certainly economies may be possible changing from storage heaters to non-storage electric heaters. If you're not at home during the day, you're paying for the heat stored during the night and discharged during the day but which you don't use. If you supplement the storage heaters with non-storage heating in the evening at peak rate electricity, you may be better changing to a non-Economy 7 tariff and using non-storage heaters on a standard tariff that doesn't penalise peak use. Conversely, if you have stored hot water heated overnight, run the washing machine overnight etc you may still be better having an Economy 7 tariff. The exact break-even point depends on the balance of peak vs off-peak (day vs night) units and your supplier's tariff.

The real problem is not that Fischer et al heaters are bad heaters; they're not. However they are, in terms of simple energy efficiency, no better and no worse than a £20 convector heater from Argos. Electronic thermostats and time controls can make them slightly more economical to run, and they may be more convenient / attractive.

However sellers of similar types of heaters make claims about energy efficiency which contravene basic common sense and the laws of physics, and the heaters are very expensive to buy.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback