Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody else subscribe to Laura Dolson on About.com? The latest e-mail had a link I thought worth sharing:
    Musings About Obesity #2: Supply vs Demand
    I'm having an interesting experience regarding calories. Since breaking my leg 10 days ago, my activity level has dropped precipitously. I wondered whether I would gain weight because of this, but now I doubt it. Within a day or two, my appetite has reduced so that I am taking in noticeably fewer calories.

This is the way our bodies are supposed to work. Once we are finished growing, our appetites should pretty much automatically adjust based on our calorie expenditure, so that the two are in balance. In fact, I've been kind of amazed at how stable my weight is since losing a modest amount through low-carb eating over ten years ago, despite varying activity levels over that time. As I've written, it would be great if it would come down more, but if that meant it would be totally unstable again and make me prone to weight gain, I probably would not want to make that trade.

So, what happened a few decades ago that our bodies started to be less able to regulate our weight? There are a few different theories. One prominent one is that there was just a lot greater access to food, so people started ignoring their bodies' satiety signals and began to shovel in the food. This explanation doesn't work well for me. I was there during that period, and the people I knew (me included) were going on diet after diet, frustrated with their weight regain. It didn't feel as though we were consuming mass quantities of food, but clearly we were eating more than we needed, and there were constant voices in our heads encouraging us to eat. We went to therapy, we went to Weight Watchers, we exercised, and we overate.

Perhaps the most striking response that many people report having when they reduce carbohydrates is that these voices finally shut up. Indeed, in study after study of low-carbohydrate diets, people spontaneously lower their calorie intake. What is amazing to me is that this is not remarked on more. Here we have an intervention where people reduce the calories they are eating without even being asked, and they report not being hungry! You'd think obesity researchers would be doing handsprings over this, and trying to nail down the cause of this miraculous phenomenon! But time and time again, it is passed by with almost no comment at all.

Consider if the advice to avoid weight gain or promote weight loss stopped focusing so much on the supply of calories we're providing our bodies, and instead shifted to focusing on how we might eat in a way to reduce our bodies' demand for calories. You'd think a way of eating like that would be much more sustainable, wouldn't you? Well, this way is sitting under the noses of researchers, and I'm surprised they aren't studying the heck out of it! Instead, they mostly don't even seem curious.

It is curious isn't it, as to why so many people aren't swayed by this, is it simply that we've been told for so long that this is 'dangerous' that they won't even consider it? Or maybe embarassment that they may have to amend their advice if they find there's something in it?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Thanks Daska. Excellent reading. I'm surprised more people aren't swayed. Tonight, whilst eating our dinner, I told my husband he ought to consider doing say, 2 days low carb. He refused point blank. His response? It wouldn't fill me up babe! lol. I give up. Oh well, at least I know the secret! By the way, it was 25 degrees today. Didn't feel like cauli cheese and veg, so ended up doing a salad with pork steaks and wedges for him. Hope everybody is enjoying the balmy weather.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    alias, hope all went well at the Drs.

sister, the flaxseed is the one SHEILA has - Linwoods - it's already milled & you can get different varieties with seeds & berries or just plain etc. Currently 'buy one, get one half price' at Holland & Barrett until 20th September - £5.99 for one.
    Hope the bouncy loaf is nice :D

I would love to do a nutrition course - I nearly did an OU one a few years ago but I allowed life to get in the way & I didn't follow it through. I really need to look into it again.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :undecided
    alias, hope all went well at the Drs.

Thanks sweet. After all my concerns about my weight he never even weighed me. :D

He's referring me to the hospital for an MOT though.:undecided

I'm just a wreck and nothing works these days. :rotfl: I'm not even hitting 50 yet! :o
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • murphydog999
    Options
    The 4lb gain will not be fat.

Just to enlarge and back-up Chameleon's post. Peoples hydration and body water balance are dictated by not only the amount of liquid you are drinking - and removing - but also the amount of (mainly) sodium and potassium in your diets, and how you and your hormones are reacting. For instance, cortisol - the stress hormone - is well known for making people retain water, TOTM when hormones are all over the place also makes a difference.

The body works in a + / - 4lbs water level, this is why weighing your self at different times of day will have such different readings. So, don't worry about the odd 1-3lb raise, as long as there isn't an upward trend, it will be water. That said, the same principle works with losses, 1/2lb loss on it's own is probably nothing to shout about, unless it's recurring.

Personally I do weigh myself every day as I like to see if certain foods have an effect.
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 September 2012 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Tonight, whilst eating our dinner, I told my husband he ought to consider doing say, 2 days low carb. He refused point blank. His response? It wouldn't fill me up babe!

Not aiming this a JJJ, just generally.....

Can I just add, dipping in and out of low-carb won't really work - and it may make any ideas of health and weight-loss improvements worse.

The principle idea of LC is to get to a state where carb intake is low enough for the body to use fat as it's primary energy source, rather than carbs - hence body fat reduces more quickly than CC - LF diets.

Naturally, fat intake increases in a LC regime, so what you don't want to be doing is mixing fat and carbs (chips, crisps and roast potatoes, doughnuts come to mind), when the body isn't adapted to fat burning. It stands to reason that the fat will still be stored, and if little exercise is happening, the carbs will also be stored as fat.

LC + fat YES, Normal (high) carb + fat NO. It really should be either or, not mixed.

N.B. Yes, there are some plans that are LC and LF, they still aren't mixing carbs and fat.

N.B.2 The caveat to this is exercise, type and amount, for fat burning, which is achievable - and another subject altogether!

Talking of exercise, is anyone trying the different way of doing press-ups, in sets? How are you getting on?
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2012 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Ahem,I have a little announcement to make... out of curiosity I bought a pair of ASDA jeans this morning and they fit so comfortably. They are a size......10 !!! I haven't worn size 10 since I was 20 (and I'm mid forties now!!):j:j:j:j:j

That has made my day.
    I'm also up to 8 proper press ups a day now!!
    Thanks everyone for the recent info, very interesting.
  • andrewsmum
    Options
    marrbett wrote: »
    Ahem,I have a little announcement to make... out of curiosity I bought a pair of ASDA jeans this morning and theyt fit so comfortably. They are a size......10 !!! I haven't worn size 10 since I was 20 (and I'm mid forties now!!):j:j:j:j:j

That has made my day.

Well done on your achievements Marbet, thats great.

Well I had a tub of mascarpone cheese in the fridge needing using up so I just made a delicious soup (if I do say so myself;))

Today in my Tesco delivery I got 2 extra large caulies, they have been on offer 2 for £2. So for my soup I used

Extra large cauli
    2 leeks
    2 heaped tsps wholegrain mustard
    tub mascarpone
    bit of grated parmesan that needed using up.
    veg stock

Boil the cut up cauli and leeks until tender in the veg stock
    blend (I used my stick blender)
    add mustard, mascarpone and parmesan
    Stir until blended in
    add seasoning to taste

Result a lovely creamy soup :j and so very easy to make
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    alias, do you know what tests the hospital will be doing??

murphy, I agree with the not dipping in & out of LCing, says the same thing in the IPD book as well. Easier said than done though :whistle::o
    I'm still doing 'basic' wall push-ups. I tried standing a bit further back but ended up with backache - think I was allowing my back to sag a bit in the middle :o

marrbett, congratulations on the size 10 jeans!! :T

andrewsmum, the soup sounds yummy, I love creamy soup :drool:

Meals for today:

B1 - greek yoghurt & flaxseed
    B2 - 3 egg scramblies, button mushrooms, baby plum tomatoes
    L - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese
    D - spicy chicken, broccoli, cauli, cheesy leeks

Exercise - minimum 30 minute brisk walk (2 x 15mins) & as many push-ups as I can manage (a few at a time)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    marrbett wrote: »
    Ahem,I have a little announcement to make... out of curiosity I bought a pair of ASDA jeans this morning and they fit so comfortably. They are a size......10 !!! I haven't worn size 10 since I was 20 (and I'm mid forties now!!):j:j:j:j:j

That has made my day.

Well done, that's fantastic. :T

I'd be out flaunting it now if it were me. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills