Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Gray_Malkin
    Options
    I usually prefer and recommend Fage Total Greek yoghurt but Tesco sell their own brand of Greek yoghurt at half the price if cost is an issue. Any other yoghurt is far too high in sugars (carbs) especially the low-fat ones.

I was just going to recommend the Fage Total too. I'm addicted to it :D
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually prefer and recommend Fage Total Greek yoghurt but Tesco sell their own brand of Greek yoghurt at half the price if cost is an issue. Any other yoghurt is far too high in sugars (carbs) especially the low-fat ones.

I agree. The one you want is the one with the most fat. Lidl's has 10% so a hit on here if you can go there (cheap too)

Don't know how Total greek yog shapes up (likely good) but they do list nutritionals on Tesco website so spend 10 mins checking them out. Go to 'full fat greek yogurt' and see what they've got :)

When you've done the search please let us know :)

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They've stopped selling full fat Total Greek yoghurt in my Asda and now only sell 2%. I did buy some today though.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    They've stopped selling full fat Total Greek yoghurt in my Asda and now only sell 2%. I did buy some today though.

If you're talking about Total Greek yoghurt then either the 2% or 0% versions are absolutely fine as Fage don't add sugar like most other brands. They remain around 4% and this is from natural lactose.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2012 at 6:04PM
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here but I shop at Tesco online and am addicted to these yoghurts. They are so delicious and creamy but don't know if they are what you are looking for and they are expensive. Can also buy it in a big tub 500g £1.50 and 1kg £2.50

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251791087

Carbs per pot:

Total/Fage 170g pots = 6.5g (3.8g per 100g)

Tesco Greek 200g = 13.2 (6.6g per 100g)

Yeo Valley 150g pots = 9.8g carbs (6.6g per 100g)

Total/Fage definitely the lowest count around as far as I know.

But as I understand it the counts are bit misleading as the carbs are measured before production and are used up by the bacteria. Also most of the remaining carbs are in the whey which is why the greek style yogs are often lower, because the whey has been strained out. Which begs a question, why is the tesco greek yogurt the same carb count as the yeo valley ordinary - do they add something that they don't have to disclose?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like a probiotic Greek yogurt so tend to buy Yeo Valley or M&S.

I decided to have the turkey breasts tonight and did them with breadcrumbs and parmesan for others. I just couldn't get the parmesan to stick using egg and the mixture stuck iin the pan when I fried them. How did you get yours to work andrewsmum please?

Mercy - you have been a busy bunny, I hope that you enjoy your meals.:)
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »

Mercy - you have been a busy bunny, I hope that you enjoy your meals.:)

Just tasted their wonderful finished loveliness.:rotfl:

Going to let em cool overnight, then fridged int morning. :D

Will collect containers from the chinese chippy on the way back from work. Good stuff and dishwasher and micro safe - usually about 30p each :rotfl:

Reckon I'll get 3 -4 from each, 1 may be a blend :)

I believe that 12 hrs in normal temps followed by 12-24 hrs in fridge makes the casseroles so much tastier. :D Then freezing does it's job and the result is a marvellous (for me mid day) meal in a week where..... (when you can't be bothered)

Really looking forward to one of them. :beer:

Time spent preparing and cooking batch sized food (30 mins then walking away for 2hrs then potting off) is repaid in really large amounts by the ease of the eating of the good food things :) I now have about 3 liver n veg lunches, 3 beef n veg lunches and a spare mix of the two :)

That's 7 lunches I do not need to think about ;)

Imagine my glee! :j

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Carbs per pot:

Total/Fage 170g pots = 6.5g (3.8g per 100g)

Tesco Greek 200g = 13.2 (6.6g per 100g)

Yeo Valley 150g pots = 9.8g carbs (6.6g per 100g)

Total/Fage definitely the lowest count around as far as I know.

Thanks for that info. very useful comparison :-).

The Total Greek yog. has twice the protein content of the Tesco one (9g per 100g vs. 4.5g per 100g), but half the carbs and fat of the Tesco one.

The Total yoghurt lists cream as an ingredient , the Tesco one does not.
  • andrewsmum
    Options
    Thanks for the yogurt suggestions. I was going to order Tesco's own make Greek yogurt but there seems to be some confusion with the carb content.
    The 500g size says 3.9g carbs per 100g yet the 200g size says 6.6g per 100g so I don't kno which is correct.

Sheila, quite a bit of my Parmesan stuck to the bottom of the pan too.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrewsmum wrote: »
    Thanks for the yogurt suggestions. I was going to order Tesco's own make Greek yogurt but there seems to be some confusion with the carb content.
    The 500g size says 3.9g carbs per 100g yet the 200g size says 6.6g per 100g so I don't kno which is correct.

Is the 200g pot the low fat version? That would explain the higher sugar content.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure