Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• dude0nvacation
    Options
    Hi, I'm dying to try a low carb diet. Any specifics on what to eat and what to avoid? Will continuous intake of soda's affect a low carb diet?

Many thanks!
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Good Morning fellow low carbers! The weather looks promising, shall we say. Fresh, with sun trying to sneak through. Have put washing on line. Watching Corrie as didn't manage to catch it yesterday. After that, will do exercise. Then going to have scrambled eggs and mushrooms for brunch.

Dinner tonight will be roast chicken with roasted veg and potatoes for DH and DSS.

My body looks and fees firm, but I am holding back on weighing myself. Have three job interviews this week. Didn't get the job at the solicitors that I went to last thursday. Stuffy old sods - didn't want to work there anyway! haha.

As for the cost of protein..yes, it can get very high. #190 per week is awful. I could not afford that Sweets which is why i always go to the supermarkets about an hour or two before closing. Its hit and miss as sometimes I get there and I've just missed it with a soggy lettuce left behind, and other times, end up hanging around and fed up waiting, so go home empty handed. But when I hit a jackpot, I grab all the protein I can, even if it makes me look greedy... and stuff it all in the freezer.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all. :D

No headache lol. Woke up at 3am with a raging thirst mind.

Last night before I went to bed, I had peanuts, a bowl of Shreddies and a roll with 2 fish fingers in it. :o Happiest I've been in days. :rotfl:

Ironically, I lost a pound this morning. :D

I think I'm going to look out my old calorie counting stuff (if I can find it :o) and spend this morning considering what to to.

Low carbing definitely, definitely helps curb my appetite but I'm just not sure it's right for me these days. I really need to give it all some serious thought instead of just bumping my gums and talking about it. :undecided

Audrey, I haven't tried St John's but was thinking about supplements so might get this to try.

Hope your day goes well, all. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Gray_Malkin
    Options
    JoJo, have you ever tried St john's Wort tablets? There are "contraindications" ie skin rashes due to sunlight/do not take with certain meds. but I have found they have helped with "mood" in the past.

I can second that. I've also had good results with valerian and passiflora.

Happy low carbing everyone :D
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dudeOnvacation - yes sodas can stop people losing on a low carb diet
    There are different types of low carb diets with varying carb values so please can you tell us what you are trying to achieve?

alias - my son took St Johns Wort for 2 years when younger and found it helpful. Well done on the 1lb loss.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2012 at 4:01PM
    Options
    Hi all!

Well that's casseroles stewin in the oven and a giant burger too!

Both casseroles are basically the same with
    Green beans, beef oxo, mushrooms, fresh plum toms, garlic, chilli flakes, tom puree, black pepper etc. One has beef liver, the other thinly sliced beef frying steak. (my freezer specials :rotfl:)

30 mins at 180'C, 2 hrs at 140'C - ish.

Will be interesting to see how they taste different. Will have em for lunches on PV days at work. I've been making sure I have 1 liver meal every week as it's so good for you n cheap :j

The big burger is about 330g beef mince (each - 2 in freezer :rotfl:) with fine chopped fresh chillis, beaten egg, tom puree, garlic, chilli flakes, black pepper, sea salt.

30 mins 180'C

Can you see what I did there? :rotfl: Doing everything at once in a full oven is very moneysaving :money:

Burger is cooked on a large casserole lid and will provide 2 meals with salad or cottage cheese for me but anything you want really.
    Will also make a few snacky bits too :) V nice.

Big foody love

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • andrewsmum
    andrewsmum Posts: 335 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2012 at 4:04PM
    Options
    A lot of you seem to eat greek yogurt and flaxseed and I have seen people say they get the yog from Lidl. As I rely mainly on online shopping from Mr T, can anyone point me in the direction of a yogurt of choice I can buy there please ?

Thanks
  • andrewsmum
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »

Lidl have turkey breast steaks at half price this weekend so hope to get some. I want to dip in egg and cover in parmesan to make a crust as I had chicken this way when out a while back and it was yummy ;)

Have a good day :)

Funny you should say this Sheila, on Friday I tried for the first time escallope type pieces of chicken, dipped in egg and grated parmesan, then fried. They tasted really good so will be making them again very soon
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 September 2012 at 4:16PM
    Options
    andrewsmum wrote: »
    A lot of you seem to eat greek yogurt and flaxseed and I have seen people say they get the yog from Lidl. As I rely mainly on online shopping from Mr T, can anyone point me in the direction of a yogurt of choice I can buy there please ?

Thanks

Sorry to butt in here but I shop at Tesco online and am addicted to these yoghurts. They are so delicious and creamy but don't know if they are what you are looking for and they are expensive. Can also buy it in a big tub 500g £1.50 and 1kg £2.50

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251791087
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrewsmum wrote: »

Thanks

I usually prefer and recommend Fage Total Greek yoghurt but Tesco sell their own brand of Greek yoghurt at half the price if cost is an issue. Any other yoghurt is far too high in sugars (carbs) especially the low-fat ones.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure