PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Adelight - are you ok? We haven't heard from you for a while.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Right I have sorted the money out following a weekend of madness. I have not stopped! Was fantastic though.

OK so on Friday night I went to Mr T which I don't enjoy doing and bought things that I can't get in Ald1. This came to £25.62 and included nappies and things to allow me to make my HM wine - which if it works out will save me in the future on wine :) Then on Saturday I did my usual Aldi shop which came just under £22.

Therefore for this week I have overspent however looking at what I have left in my envelope (£42.10) I think I can still come in on budget - just. I have 2 w/e left before pay day which is when I do my shop so if I say £20 each time I should be ok. I have a well stocked freezer and the pantry isn't too bad though I am out of tinned tomatoes! Will just buy 1 or 2 to put me over. I don't need any toiletries or anything like that so here't to hoping. Going to get DH to get the next round of nappies. :D

I've had to catch up with pages of the thread so just wanted to say thank you to all who helped with the tuna comments and to the person who asked about my worry of choking on apples but not carrots - my fear is probably OTT to most however it's the thought of DD taking a whole apple and biting a big chunk off which she could choke on (it happened as I said in other post and the little girl died, traumatic) where as the fruit I put in is chopped up small enough that I hope to avoid that. Carrots I could do the same with however they too are hard so we shall see. I just need to find fruit that I can buy on Sun and keep til Fri. The dried fruit I can chop up is a good option so thank you for your input. :T

Hope everyone is having a 'within budget' day :)
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Was feeling realy positive and going for a NSD today,but have realised the dcs need some tombola prizes to take to school for the.fair tommorow (fair is on fridayso too early for cakes/biscuits).Going to have to go to shops to get something which will come out of GC as no other pot.:(
    GC July 345/325Aug GC 297.50/300:money: GC Sept £251/300
    GC Oct 235/275 Nov GC £72/250
    NSD 5/30:D
    My month runs 22nd -22nd:cool:
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Can't decide waht to make for dinner:
    Coq au vin
    OR
    Macaroni cheese
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Can't decide waht to make for dinner:
    Coq au vin
    OR
    Macaroni cheese
    I would have coq au vin but I do not like macaroni :o
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I love macaroni cheese lol, it's what I want for my birthday meal out next month. Macaroni cheese, mushrooms, chicken and chilli sauce lol.

A spend of £3.85 for us today on milk, icing sugar and pepsi max.

We are having chicken fillets with new potatoes and vegetables for tea tonight. Can't quite believe how much food is still in our freezer either. Normally 3 days after food shopping it is empty as most of the grocery money gets spent on rubbish like crisps and sweets for OH.

Total for the month so far is £89.76 out of £200. We have enough to last at least a week in so I am quite happy. Will be buying some more loo roll tomorrow as have a consultants appointment so will be in town so will go to HB for them. :) x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    See I love macaroni cheese but not fussed on casserole type things. Whereas OH would have casseroles/stews over pasta any day! If the chicken defrosts in time I'll cook it tonight, otherwise I'll do it tomorrow. Same difference really, we're having those two meals tonight/tomorrow so it probably doesn't make much difference which days we have which meals :rotfl:I'm just ot good at deciding what to cook when I have a lot of options!
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Oh I love macaroni cheese too :) I love anything with cheese on top!

Tonight were having jacket pots with tuna and salad. OH is hoping to do a hour of DIY/tidying a night to get the nursery ready so wanted something that I can just put in the microwave when he's ready.
    Making chicken curry tomorrow for us, Dsis and her two kids so got chicken out of the freezer with have some AF naans too.

Only have one lonely banana in the fruit bowl so will need to pop out later to restock. Will get milk and eggs too so I don't need to go out Gain later in the week.
    Spent £20 on c00p online. They're doing 30 things for £20! Mainly toiletries and it's free delivery for spends over £20. Got baby wipes and stocked up on shower gel that OH likes but I only buy on offer. This is the link to original post. Think items work out at 66.6p each.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=54333179&postcount=1
    Will update sig later once all shopping has been done.

Hugs to those who need them xx
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Verdict: Nom;)

Well the summer soup worked so I thought I'd share the idea.....

Fry onions and thinly sliced potatoes in lashings of butter:
    photo-154.jpg?t=1341929179

Then cover with water or stock and simmer until the potatoes soften.

Then add washed nasturtium leaves with stems removed and lettuce until wilted.

Blend and season to taste.

photo-155.jpg?t=1341930929

Serve with JJs herby cheese bread ;):rotfl:

Enjoy:j
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NSD here :) (at last ;)) ommellete and chips for us tonight to use up the eggs before they go out of date tomoro!
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family