Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Just spent 4 hrs watching the Jubilee Thames Pageant on catch up.

Conrgatulations to Her Majesty for standing up the whole time, which goes beyond the call of duty:D

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

Sixty years !!!

I really enjoyed the pageant , I thought the Queen was fab she never sat down the whole time and at 86 thats incredible :T

my back is still painful , I was going to do some housework today but will have to give it a miss :cool: the house isnt too bad and the washing is up to date so i wont worry about it

breakfast was haloumi and bacon again. i'm not doing too badly now although I made a fruitcake yesterday for the family and I ended up having a small slice :o it was lovely :o:o

tea today will be LO chicken done as a stri fry with loads of veg and noodles for them and julienned courgette for me the sauce is a black bean sauce but i use so little i dont think it has much impact carb wise
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Thick white cloud here :(

Seems like you had a good time with the cocktails Mercy ;) and well done for resisting the sweets. :D

Quinoa has 25g carbs per tablespoon :eek: so it's carbier than white basmati rice !

Angelfeathers yes twas me and I think it's a useful website. Another one you may like is https://www.slowfood.org.uk

bossymoo you sound well organised there !

Hiya

Not sure where you get the quinoa carb details but I'm getting 19.7g for 1/2 cup cooked. This will include fibre as it is American. I probably had about 10g carbs in my portion :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/403939-carbohydrates-in-quinoa/

The cocktails were fun. :D

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello!

Had a day at home except feeding the ducks this morning. Pastrami for breakfast, a cooked brunch with the tots including gf sausage, turkey rashers, fried eggs and tomatoes. Have just had cottage cheese while they had tea as not very hungry. Lord knows what I'll have later we are very nearly out of eggs now, after baking FIL a banana nut tea loaf. Might have some fish fillets in the freezer, with some salady bits.

Hope you're all enjoying the double bh. We are going to in laws tomorrow, have told her not to worry about food for me (she understands as regularly does food exclusion). So need to plan a pack up!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Jazza
    Jazza Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your warm welcome to your group. I finally received the Low Carb Vegetarian book and it has given me a few ideas.

Does anyone have any vegetarian suggestions for a quick lunch? - there are a few in the book but they would take me a while to prepare.

I've bought some hummus and will have some peppers, cucumber and tomatoes with it. Does that sound okay?

I've read a lot about food and nutrition over the years but am having to unlearn it all iyswim :o

The one thing I have noticed is that I'm not as hungry as I used to be - is that usual?
    Low carbing vegetarian. Aiming for 50-100g carbs per day
  • Mercy
    edited 4 June 2012 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your warm welcome to your group. I finally received the Low Carb Vegetarian book and it has given me a few ideas.

Does anyone have any vegetarian suggestions for a quick lunch? - there are a few in the book but they would take me a while to prepare.

I've bought some hummus and will have some peppers, cucumber and tomatoes with it. Does that sound okay?

I've read a lot about food and nutrition over the years but am having to unlearn it all iyswim :o

The one thing I have noticed is that I'm not as hungry as I used to be - is that usual?

Hi sweetie!

Hard boiled eggs (I do 6 or more at a time, 10 mins boiling, will keep in a bowl at room temp or fridge for a week if cooled quickly after boiling.) mashed up with full fat cream cheese and ff mayo makes a good base. add spring onions, cayenne, black pepper, herbs, chillies, lumps of cheese of your choice, chopped olives or anything else. - all these are not meant to go in the same dish :) Tho add as many as you like. Surprisingly filling.

Spread the above on chinese lettuce. Almost as good as crackers! Easy to prepare and you can do a tub full of spread to have for a couple of days in the fridge. Other things to spread it on include flax bread (see page 1 recipe, sazbo's flaxbread) or have it in lettuce wraps.

Ripe avocado plus cashews?

All I can think of off top o mi hed, will get back if anything else occurs. :D

Hummus and lots of veg is good but maybe include a lump of cheese to improve fat ratio?

Not as hungry as you used to be means it's working! You eat less because you are more satisfied with what you eat. :j

Mx
  • Mercy
    Options
    Hi all!

Found a new pleasure :)

spinach and chicken fried egg omlette

Wilt fresh, or soften frozen then chop, spinach
    Heat gently in butter (I used goose fat too)
    Add meat from 1 leg of roast chicken, stir and heat through without blasting
    When all hot crack eggs gently on top, season.
    keeping heat moderate, gently mix whites into spinach/chicken
    When whites are solid and yolks are still gooey slide onto warmed plate and eat!

Mx
  • Mercy
    Options
    Food for last 2 days

Yesterday
    spinach and chicken fried egg omlette (fresh spinach and 4 eggs)
    1/2 tub of Roddas clotted cream, 4 massive Scottish strawbs :)

Today
    Omlette as above but 3 eggs and frozen spinach
    Will be beef steaks, steamed broccoli, mushroom pepper sauce.

Mushroom pepper sauce
    100g chopped mushrooms, heated (not boiled) in 1 tbls water with black pepper a little salt. When thoroughly sweated, drain juice and set aside mushies.
    Make 1/2 a packet of colemans pepper sauce using juice from mushies and half water, half dbl cream. Add more black pepper - colemans is just a bit weak for me anyway :) when all mixed add back mushrooms and heat through.

The sauce made as above has less than 10g carbs. :j
    Not bad over the day :)

May have last few strawbs with double cream if I'm hungry later.

Hope your weekend is going well!

Mx
  • Jazza
    Jazza Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Mercy that sounds delicious :j Can you tell what ff mayo is?
    Low carbing vegetarian. Aiming for 50-100g carbs per day
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ff I think would be full fat? Reduced fat versions often have sugar or carby fillers added.
    X
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    Made the pizza with the chicken base last night for tea, must say I'm amazed how well it turned out. Thanks for the recipie link
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure