Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• schoolhouse
    Options
    sofababe -I asked the same question last night and Mazzers recommended one.
    mazzers wrote: »
    I love the strawberry cream, by far the best, it's divine and very low carb.
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all!

Trying something a bit different.

Actually managed 3L water today :)

B: Ham n cheese
    L: Turkey, bacon and mucho veg stew
    T: Green smoothie - 1/3 cucumber, 1 tomato, 2 sticks of celery, 3 handfuls of curly kale and half a lime, water to texture.
    Gave it 30 mins, felt a bit wanting so had head of broccoli and half a finely chopped leek steamed with 3 teaspoons of cream cheese and black pepper stirred in as 'sauce'

Not sure what that's going to do carb wise but need to do something to kick start weight loss. Just sticking to meat and fat mostly ain't cutting it so this week I will be mostly eating green things :)

Do think that the brocolli thing would be enhanced by slices of chorizo so will try that out and let you know :)

I think the lack of fat made this less than filling so will add some liquid coconut oil to tomorrows smoothie, Thinking - cucumber, carrot, tomato, celery and parsley.

Hope the nutrients make themselves felt in a nice way :)

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    Gloomendoom - Recipes? Pretty please *grovel grovel, beg beg*:D

I asked Mrs G and she gave me the recipe below. It's for the cakey things. She couldn't remember where she got the recipe for the peanut biscuits, but they weren't that nice!
    This was the original recipe:
    http://www.easypeasy.com/guides/article.php?article=331

I included the coconut - even though I don't usually like coconut I think the texture was better than I suspect it might have been without, and it padded out the other ingredients.

I didn't use lemon juice, I used the juice of an orange, which was about 50ml. I counted these carbs.

As flavouring I used the zest of the orange. I didn't use vanilla or lemon.

I used 3 extra large eggs, as that was equivalent to 4 medium eggs.

I reduced the sucralose to 7.5g as I don't like the taste and they were sweet enough.

I made 18 mini cakes, and each had 1.5g carbs.

I'm still pleased with the way things are going. In two and a bit weeks I have gone from 16st 2lbs to 15st 4lbs. As expected, the rate of weight loss has slowed somewhat with 'just' 4lbs coming off in the last week.
  • beanrua
    beanrua Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    My box of porridge says 25.3g carb per sachet :eek: thats too high for me.

Oh I quite agree - that is too high. I use oats made with water - I think about 8 carbs per 100g - I will check next time I buy some as I keep them in storage jar and have thrown out the packaging.
    Great loss gloomendoom.
    Treat the Earth well,
    It was not given to you by your parents,
    It was loaned to you by your children.
    Masai proverb
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    Hannoja, which callanetics dvd do u use? I think I need to up my exercise and like the look of this as its low impact, I can't do much leaping about/running due to my knackered knees. There seem to be quite a few dvds available, so a recommendation would be awesome :)

One like this. I did it twice a week and there was a noticeable difference after 10 sessions. I do it on mute now with music on. It's the only one of the exercises I do that I don't really look forward to now, but I believe it works so will keep it up. I'll reduce it soon to once a week I think (nearly up to 20 sessions this time round), or perhaps once and a 'maintenance routine' which is in the book with the same cover that I've had for years. It is low impact. It's very clever. A couple of the exercises are really tough. Amazing from such tiny movements.

All that greenery has to do some good Mercy.. like you, not sure about the carb-front, but what a health boost!

Today is wii day, so I will find out if I've lost any weight.. was good on the weekend, so I bloomin' well hope so!

Yesterday:
    B: 2 Asda gluten free sausages, grilled (ran out of frankies :p )
    L: Prawn cocktail, Romaine, loads of chilli flakes :D
    T: A Peperami and 3 or 4 ready to eat roast chicken thighs (reduced at Mr T's).

O: Tea, coffee, water/green tea (3-5 pts)

Exercise: Dog walk, ~10 mins HIIT*, Callanetics.

*I did Cassey's little routine, then downloaded a timer app. and did a couple more minutes on my own.

I also downloaded a Binaural Beats' app. and listened to that in bed for a while. Woke up with headache, ear ache and sore throat.... :think:
    Had a couple of paracetamol. Now wondering what else I can have to 'frighten it off'.. normally I'd have honey, some cough medicine or somesuch, and an evening 'hot toddy' (whisky, honey, lemon, hot water), but now I'm thinking they're all too sweet....... (though if I haven't lost any weight, whiskey will be hard to resist!)

Have a good day everyone!
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello! Hoping to join you all with the low carbing. I did follow this way about 18months ago and it worked really well. So,hoping this will work again. Was meaning to start in the new year..better late then never eh?:o

Going to go back a few pages and catch up on what's been happening in this thread. You lot always have such fab tips.

Hi All,

Me too, please, it you'll have me.

I did wonderfully on this WOE, but lapsed and managed to put most of it back. (I stopped because of the terrible leg cramps I started getting).
    I tried Slimming World for a few weeks recently with my sister, but I hate eating all the carbs, and felt so "bleugh" that I want to go back to LC. I feel so much better eating this way.

Someone suggested low salt for the cramps. What supplements would you guys recommend to stay healthy, please?

I have psyllium husks, but never really needed to take them .... (sorry TMI!!)
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Options
    Minihauk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I did wonderfully on this WOE, but lapsed and managed to put most of it back. (I stopped because of the terrible leg cramps I started getting).
    I tried Slimming World for a few weeks recently with my sister, but I hate eating all the carbs, and felt so "bleugh" that I want to go back to LC. I feel so much better eating this way.

Someone suggested low salt for the cramps. What supplements would you guys recommend to stay healthy, please?

I take a multi vitamin (without iron), a B complex and an Omega 3 fish oil every morning. I've felt great since I started this WOE :j although I'm not seeing the weight come off which is extremely frustrating, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong :(
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Minihauk wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have to admit, i get terrible leg cramps too, and in my feet :D they curl in and look weird :rotfl:

It's said that potassium helps, but too much is as bad as too little so i avoid supplements.. just google potassium rich foods.

I love psyllium, great for the colon whether needed or not :)
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    Have to admit, i get terrible leg cramps too, and in my feet :D they curl in and look weird :rotfl:

The cramps were only really at night when in bed, and I have NEVER had them so bad. They used to wake me and I literally thought my inner thighs were being cut open ......... I'll try the potassium, thanks.

Food wise I've had a good day, eggs for brekkie, salad and baby bel for lunch. Have no idea what's for dinner yet, though.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 1 February 2012 at 4:18PM
    Options
    Magnesium is what you need for the leg cramps. Use chelated magnesium, available from Holland & Barrett, it's best for absorption, take 2 after evening meal. Stops the leg cramps and that wierd 'antsy' restless legs thing which I always get when eating LC, and also helps a lot if you have constipation and helps you sleep. It's my 'desert island' supplement!
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure