Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SUZYEYES wrote: »
    thanks to Martin, l wrote to the tax office, told them my details of 2 jobs for the last 5 years and got a wopping tax refund !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over £600......thank you verrrrry much.

Not for laundry costs however! The average for a full 6 years would be around £96 in real terms.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    mrsIAm wrote: »
    I work as a cook in a school and not only do I have to wash my uniform but on a friday I have to bring home all the dish clothes and t towels to wash them on a boiled wash.
    The thing is I dont pay tax because I only work 12 1/2 hrs a week.
    Is there anything I can claim for?

It's pointless as any allowance only goes to reduce your tax. As you don't pay any you won't gain.

But might be worth asking your employer for a contribution towards the non personal washing items?
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    purple33 wrote: »
    Lokks like you are getting a cheque for £45.40 and the early year adj is a refund too so thats for £171.

£34.20 of the £45.40 is from the £171 ..... which is the composite allowance for earlier years (£171 @ 20% = £34.20)
    they change ur tax code to cover early year adjustments they did on my husbands

You can't have both. You either get a cheque for the earlier years - or they put all the allowances into this year's coding .... so the refund is via pay.
  • Taz_Sutton
    Options
    Sorry, for being lazy and not reading back through all 54 pages of this thread, but was wondering if anyone knows, if I can claim for this even if I don't work for a company I had to wear uniform anymore.

I used to work for a nursery back in 2009, where I was only paid minimum wage. I've just moved house so I'm not sure where all my paperwork is from then either would I need this to make a claim if I can?
    :idea: Determined to sort her finances!
  • Mikeyorks
    edited 25 January 2012 at 6:30PM
    Options
    You would need the basic details of when you started / ceased in the 'uniform' job. Other than that - no real documentation needed.

I assume you paid tax - even on minimum wage - as it's a bit pointless otherwise. As the allowance is a tax offset.
  • lauramumof2
    Options
    I was curious about this also. I work as a carer, plain clothes to be worn and wash them myself. There is the argument that I could wear these clothes outside but I don't as they are are practical work clothes.

I think I will send away a wee letter in the next few days.
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    I was curious about this also. I work as a carer, plain clothes to be worn and wash them myself.

It only applies to the upkeep / maintenance of 'protective clothing or uniform' ........ ordinary clothing isn't covered.
    HMRC wrote:
    No deduction can be permitted for the cost of upkeep, replacement and repair of ordinary clothing. In the case of Ward v Dunn (52TC517) a surveyor was not permitted a deduction for the cost of wear and tear and cleaning his clothing, even though the nature of his job put him to abnormally large expense in this respect. The costs were not incurred wholly and exclusively in the performance of his duties
  • happycow
    Options
    can anyone advice me please?
    My payslip shows "SOUTH WALES AREA" as my tax office, would anyone have the address for that of is it depending on what area you work in???
    (Im Newport btw)
    Learn from Yesterday
    Live for Today
    Hope for Tomorrow.....

:beer:
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    happycow wrote: »
    My payslip shows "SOUTH WALES AREA" as my tax office, would anyone have the address for that of is it depending on what area you work in???
    (Im Newport btw)

If you don't have recent correspondence from HMRC then use this address for PAYE :

HM Revenue & Customs
    Pay As You Earn
    PO Box 1970
    Liverpool
    L75 1WX
  • happycow
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    If you don't have recent correspondence from HMRC then use this address for PAYE :

HM Revenue & Customs
    Pay As You Earn
    PO Box 1970
    Liverpool
    L75 1WX

thanks your a star :)
    Learn from Yesterday
    Live for Today
    Hope for Tomorrow.....

:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories