Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    topofall wrote: »
    That's not cheap prices at Asda - search the net and you will find better prices! I have just got Bifocals with scratchproof coating for £67 from Glasses Direct. Bit of a hassle with measurements as they need PD which your optician won't normally give you but lots of solutions on the net for that one!

Mate, you really haven't got a clue how good this deal is. I hope you've only got a low prescription or are happy wearing bottle end glasses.
  • beth25
    beth25 Posts: 94
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i had 2 pairs from the blackwood store, 1 goldigga and one fcuk. collected earlier. i'm sooo happy with them,.the lenses look great and they made sure they fitted well.i'm a -4.50 and -5.25, think i has 1.67 aspheric?, but not too sure. the staff there were very helpful and really knowledgeable. just booked my neighbours in for tests there now!!!
    currently working to save £2014 in 2014
    total so far £331
    selling on facebook
    overtime in work
    ebay sales and online surveys.
    Every little helps!!
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I collected my two pairs of varifocals today. The lenses are fine and seem well made. Only problem is that I am not sure I like the frames! I am used to wearing rimless and went for frames this time and keep getting a shock when I catch sight of myself.

Must say that it is a very quick and good service as I ordered on Saturday and they were ready yesterday.
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Am so gutted that I splashed out in February on new glasses. I had been putting it off for at least a yr as wear lenses presribed by the nHS. I ended up getting a discount of 50% taking the price to £300!! (-15 and -14.5 1.9 glass lenses). For £90 I would have jumped at this deal even if it meant sticking with 1.74!

Lets hope that they are still doing this deal in 18 months or so!
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The two ASDA opticians I have visited have both had large A3 charts on the desks with the details explaining what lenses are prescribed for your prescription -

For full frame glasses -

>=+7.25 - Seek advice from the optician
    +6.25 to +7.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.67 ASPH)
    +4.25 to +6.00 - Extra Thin & Light (1.60 ASPH)
    +3.25 to +4.00 - Anti Reflection (1.50 ASPH)
    Plano to +3.00 - Anti Reflection (1.50)
    Plano to -3.00 - Anti Reflection (1.50)
    -3.25 to -5.00 - Extra Thin & Light (1.60)
    -5.25 to -7.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.67 ASPH)
    -7.25 to -9.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.70 ASPH)
    >= -9.25 - Seek advice from the optician

For rimless glasses -

>=+6.25 - Seek advice from the optician
    +3.25 to +7.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.60 ASPH)
    Plano to +3.00 - Extra Thin & Light (1.60)
    Plano to -5.00 - Extra Thin & Light (1.60)
    -5.25 to -7.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.67 ASPH)
    -7.25 to -8.00 - Super Thin & Light (1.70 ASPH)

There were other adjustments for astigmatisms, etc.

For those with prescriptions greater than -7.25 the system also allowed them to select glass lenses with a 1.8 or 1.9 index, but they would only fit these in full frame (not semi-rimless) frames.
  • andybrock
    andybrock Posts: 146
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2009 at 9:19PM
    tr3mor wrote: »
    For people with standard prescriptions this is a good but not spectacular deal.

For me with -10 eyes it's absolutely awesome. I got two pairs of really nice frames with 1.74 lenses for £90. The optician in the store had a look through the old pricing scheme for me, it would have come to £410!

And I'd recommend the Trafford Centre store. The optician in there seemed a really nice chap. He couldn't believe the prices himself when head office told him a few weeks back.

Fully agree.Been to this store today the guy was very helpful with no waffle.My prescription is -9,two pairs for £90-you wont find that price anywere else.To upgrade to 1.8 glass would be £40 per pair extra.This is still good value,two pairs with 1.8 glass for £170,you could pay that for a single pair
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    went to an asda today and for -7.00 sph, -2.00 cyl for R and -6.50 sph, -2.25cyl and the girl told me I would get the 1.7 Super thin and light, which is different from the chart? Don't mind 1.67 anyways, just amazed that asda can sell my glasses at those prices! got 2 jai kudo frames for £90.

Specsavers wanted £60 + their normal price (£125 for designer frames), d&a wanted £150 for just the lenses (frames on top), vision express wanted £180 for lenses (frames on top).
  • kharyss
    kharyss Posts: 25 Forumite
    Went to the Asda by Man City football grounds today. Not a massive choice of frames but certainly enough to get a decent pair. Since I'm only -1.7 in each eye I was given the 1.6 lenses. Wasn't offered the chance to upgrade, and there were no signs or anything with the details or prices of "extras". Just picked up the frames and handed over my prescription. Sales assistant then whizzed through her computer screens without explaining what she was selecting so no idea if they're glass/plastic or what colour tint the light reactive goes etc etc. I was rushed in and out in less than 10 minutes!

Not a great sales pitch perhaps and certainly no frills customer service, but as long as you know what you want and ask a few more questions than I did then you should be fine.
  • On a totally diferent note - does anyone know how easy(or more likely how hard) it is to reclaim the cost of your glasses off your healthplan when you've bought them online? Just wondering if they like handling an invoice printed from the website or if they get picky?:rolleyes:
  • scotto69
    scotto69 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No problem using your online printed receipt for healthplan. I recently used Glasses Direct and Healthsure paid with no hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure