Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    marrow, those dumplings sound quite nice actually. Not something I would have thought of trying but I like all of the ingredients so would probably like them. I'm trying to try out new things so I don't get bored (or egged out!!) Let us know what you think about the taste/texture etc.

Well, I have finally realised that I've been kidding myself on the amount of water I drink.

Put a bottle of water in the fridge yesterday & it seemed to take forever to drink (with plenty of trips to the loo involved as well :rolleyes:). I even thought it was a 1.5L bottle but it's actually only 1.25L!! :confused:

Now, I know there is no way I've been drinking that much water before yesterday, even though I thought I was doing ok, but obviously not!!

So, am going to continue with the bottle of water in the fridge (just tap water) & hopefully will get to the stage where I can drink even more than that.

I know some peeps already do this btw, it just takes a while for me to catch up!! :rotfl:
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2009 at 4:09PM
    Options
    Marrow they sound lovely and as spinach is my new fave veg i will be giving them a go.

I might give liver a go again, just one portion has the R.D.A of iron.
    I used to like it when i was younger but just cant get my head around what it actually is these days.
    th_yuk-yuk.gif
  • mazzers
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that dreamfields pasta is fab, just like normal pasta but only 5g carbs per serving.
    A serving is 52g which doesnt look much but when cooked and in a creamy cheesy tomato-ey sauce is a nice bowlful.

Not cheap either at £2.85 a box but there are 7 servings so is only 40p each serving.
    I wish i'd ordered more to save on postage.

The cherry da vinci is sooo fab, not exactly a syrup as its a bit thin but the taste is lovely. I think its more for coffee flavourings (like starbucks do)
    Had it on Hanspans pancakes, they were lovely.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Hello peeps

Just reporting back on my experimental salmon fishcakes :D They were not bad at all I'm pleased to say!!

180g tin red salmon
    Broc/Cauli mash (no butter or cream)
    Small amount of egg
    Few dashes of tabasco sauce
    Almond flour for coating

Mix the salmon & broc/cauli mash together then add a bit of egg (hardly needed any), just enough so it isn't too wet. Add the tabasco sauce & then mould the mixture into balls & flatten into fishcake shapes. Gently press into the almond flour on both sides - you need to go carefully at this stage otherwise it will just break up (trust me, I know :o). Put on plate & chill in fridge - mine was in for an hour. Fry in olive oil until browned on both sides - you do have to be gentle when turning them over.

I have some mixture left over so I'll be having more fishcakes for tomorrow's lunch :D Had 3 tonight (could have eaten more) & think there's enough mixture for another 2 or 3.

Next time I might try them with just cauli mash instead of the broc/cauli, just to taste the difference . Also think some finely chopped spring onion would be a nice addition.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    mazzers, your pasta sounds good!! Funny talking about eating pasta when on low-carb!!

If you wanted/needed a bigger portion I suppose you could add some tuna, bacon or meatballs etc.

Have you attempted your bread yet?? I'm dying to know how it turns out!!
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Hanspan/mazzers, could those pancakes be used for savoury fillings??

I remember years ago (in Dublin) having savoury pancakes with a spinach & ricotta filling & they were gorgeous!! Would love to do something similar if possible.
  • mazzers
    Options
    Hanspan/mazzers, could those pancakes be used for savoury fillings??

I remember years ago (in Dublin) having savoury pancakes with a spinach & ricotta filling & they were gorgeous!! Would love to do something similar if possible.

They were quite thick, more like pikelets or drop scones iykwim
    but thinned down with water might be ok.

Will be making the bread tomorrow.

Didnt mercy or HC make savoury pancakes??
    Dont trust me tho, you know my marbles are planning the great escape ;)
    A few have already left :rolleyes:
  • mazzers
    Options
    Found this when i was looking for a recipe earlier.
    Its from the old thread...

I can't remember where I found this recipe, it might have been on pig2twig??

It's actually a recipe for pancakes (and they look like pancakes when cooked) but, you can apparently use the same mix to make layers in caneionni, lasagne and yorkshire puddings :dance:

Recipe as follows;

Cream Cheese Pancakes (makes about 4, each about 7" diameter)

2oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract (omit this if making wraps)
    1 tblsp cream

Mix all the ingredients together (easier with a hand blender as cheese can be lumpy) and cook as a normal pancake.:D
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    mazzers, lol at the loss of marbles!!

I think it's the low-carb because my head has definitely been in cloud laa laa land since I re-started!! Or more than it was before, anyway!!

I thought you were supposed to get a clear head on low-carb, not some cotton-wool, spaced out head?! :rolleyes:

I have tried making pancakes before but found them too eggy for me at the time, can't remember the recipe I used though, I've had a sleep since then!! :rotfl:
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Lol, think they were the pancakes I tried, seem to remember the vanilla extract. I was wanting something sweet at the time but they just didn't hit the spot. May be better for savoury fillings. Not sure I'd try them again though. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure