PC Problems? - links to free online virus scanners

Options

Comments

• 11gardir
    Options
    djbenny wrote: »
    i would recommend either comodo or avast for anti virus

I wouldn't - look at [pdf] http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/2ndgrouptest.pdf

Avira is the best free anti-virus (detection-wise)

Anyway, this is about online scanners, so I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned http://www.virustotal.com/ - similar to jotti's virusscan, single file scanner, but faster and scans with 37 virus scanners, Prevx and compares the hash to an MD5 library.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    11gardir wrote: »
    Anyway, this is about online scanners, so I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned http://www.virustotal.com/ - similar to jotti's virusscan, single file scanner, but faster and scans with 37 virus scanners, Prevx and compares the hash to an MD5 library.
    Virus Total and the like are fine for scanning suspicious files but are no good if you're already infected and need an online scanner to scan your computer.
  • 11gardir
    Options
    I know, but it's good for checking out the products of Avira's false positive issue.
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2011 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for this thread Toxteth, it's very handy :T

Here are my notes on the scanners I've used so far. Useful reference for me, since I've got a memory like a sieve: hopefully will be useful to someone else too.

Note to self: turn off antivirus program first :doh:

A-Squared/EMSI: Requires ie. Kept getting 'Error loading GUI resources'... :mad:

ArcaVir: Seems to be in Polish so haven't used it. It appears to require ie, then it wants to install an Active X control, which seems normal for such programs, but then it's asking you for permission for something.. I think.. I'm not a fan of randomly ticking boxes without reading why, so I've binned that one.

Authentium: Requires ie, though I ran it in Firefox using the ie tab. Seemed to work okay. Didn't find what Kaspersky found, but found four 'infections' which the other scanners hadn't :confused:. No apparent way to 'clean' with it however, but a window stating:
    Thank you for trying Command On Demand [COD]!
    COD provides a free one-time anti-virus scan for any Internet connected PC. This scan is perfect for a "second opinion" of your existing anti-virus solution, as a on-demand tool to check the current status of your PC, and as a "sneak peek" of the more advanced products offered by Authentium.

BitDefender
    : Requires ie. Scanned fully but found nothing, so can't comment on it's cleaning capabilities.
    Update: 11/09/09: Scanned in FF ie tab. Took a bit over an hour. Slightly annoying when it seemed finished then did a few more hundred files than it 'intended' (e.g. 53000/50000). Found nothing, but painless enough. Would use again (don't like the ie requirement though!).
    Update: 17/01/11: Works in FF. Quick, small download, accept T&Cs, 'QuickScan' does what it says on the tin. Informed me 'Your computer is not infected', so couldn't test it's cleaning capabilities.

CyberTech: Hmm... It says it has a free virus scanner which cleans too, but I'll be darned if I can find it! Might return to it later. Can't be bothered fishing around for it now. On hold.

E-Acceleration Stop-Sign: Looked promising, but Comodo went nuts with permission popups. Gave up clicking accept in the end. If it causes that much aggro, I'm not interested. Lol I've just deleted it and Comodo is still 'popping' at me! Grr!

ESET [STRIKE]NOD32[/STRIKE]: Requires ie (works in FF with ie tab).
    Selected both options: 'Remove Found Threats', and 'Scan Unwanted Applications'.
    It found nothing on my PC, so I can't say whether it cleans too, though it states in the FAQ:
    The ESET Online Scanner is a program which runs in your web browser and can check for and, optionally, remove malware. It is not configurable, and cannot prevent your computer from being infected by malware.
    28/04/09: Just ran it on OH's machine. Found nothing (weird, when Housecall found lots.. :question:
    11/09/09: Still looks like a 'goer'. Can't be sure since it found nothing.
    03/02/10: It's great according to this webuser review.

E-Trust
    : Stuck on 'waiting...' Tried a couple of times. Gave up, for now :doh:

Ewido (Grisoft) Now AVG: Requires ie, but works with FF ie tab. Did a full scan in very reasonable time, came up with 26 minor errors (tracking cookie-type stuff) and removed them all for me. This is the best one so far as far as I'm concerned :T
    EDIT: 10/09/09: Can't even find this anymore.. my above link goes to AVG's 'LinkScanner' (online web page scanner useful, alongside WoT, LinkExtend, etc..). AVG have 'swallowed up' ewido and seem to have binned the online virus scanner. Another one bites the dust.. (please let me know if I'm wrong!) :(

Freedom: Couldn't find a free online scanner.. (the OP is 3 years old though*)

F-Secure: Requires ie. It painlessly did a full scan, but found nothing so I can't say whether it cleans.
    03/02/10: According to this webuser review, it's good.

Kaspersky: Scanned no problem. Found four 'nasties'. No apparent way to remove them though..

McAfee: According to NIKMAISON (post 98 below), this one scans but doesn't remove.

Panda: Works with Firefox. Did a full scan. Found plenty of errors (seemingly in one of my junk mail folders, which Thunderbird shows as empty..), then wants you to register to remove 'some' of them, and payment to remove all.. I'm sure I've used this one before. Either it found nothing that time or I'm missing something..:confused:

Trend Micro Housecall: Works with Firefox (yay), but I wasn't too chuffed with the results. A 'shed load' of exclamation marks which it said it couldn't provide more info. for.. :
    An error occurred while trying to retrieve more information about this vulnerability. There is currently no more information available.
    which is a pain in the rear when you've just waited ages for it to scan. Grr!
    I didn't click to clean, since it didn't tell me what it would be cleaning! Grrr!
    Judging by others' comments regarding it giving false positives, I don't think I'll use this again, even though some report it as their favourite.. Suppose it all depends on what it finds..
    Shame, as I've been a big fan of HijackThis for a long time, which Trend have now taken on/over. :(
    EDIT: 28/04/09: Just ran this on OH's computer. Same as above.. GooWorld below (post 100) seems to have no problem with it.. must be me.. :confused: I'll put it down to FPs and might not bother with it again :(
    Update: 11/09/09: Housecall v7.0 beta released 03/07/09. Small download. Browser-independent. Much quicker (<15mins.). Didn't find any nasties on my PC, but it's looking good :T

* Nice to see that most of these scanners are still going three years on. Even though I'm not impressed by most of them so far, I will keep at it, as I'm sure there are one or two that I may not have done 'properly' somehow..

P.S: Noticed OP updated in July. Cheers TOG! :D
  • phoenixbbs
    Options
    You can download their free Sysclean utility, which consists of three components - the main executable, the virus signatures (the same as used in the full price product), and a malware / spyware signature file.

While it isn't an "online" scanner, where the machine needs to be online *which would also mean the machine is vulnerable to having any infection automatically updated to evade detection* it can be moved to the infected machine via memory stick or being burned to CD.

To use it, the easiest way is to create a directory on the desktop of the infected machine, copy the files to it (unzip the signatures), then run the executable.

The clean-up it offers isn't entirely automatic, and pops up a window every time it finds something, but it does clear the problems as it comes to them. It also provides a logfile you can use as a reference when it finishes.

The only "quirk" of note is that if you use a tweaked hosts file, such as the one provided by Spybot Search & Destroy, it will report the changed hosts file as being potentially malicious and remove the protection Spybot S&D added (all you need to do in this case is re-run Spybot S&D and enable their hosts file again once the scan is complete)

The links are as follows:

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/sysclean.com
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/viruspattern.asp (LPTxxx.ZIP)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/spywarepattern.asp (3rd file from bottom)

The only thing i'd add, which can't be repeated often enough - if you think your machine has "issues" DO NOT USE ANY ONLINE BANKING - many (if not most) forms of infection now look out for banking details, and will send them to unknown third parties to enable them to empty your account at will.
  • NIKMAISON
    Options
    just tried the macafee one it doesnt get rid of any viruses just scans
    :confused: [strike]Nik[/strike]:confused:
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NIKMAISON wrote: »
    just tried the macafee one it doesnt get rid of any viruses just scans
    Yup, the list in the first post is outdated and needs some editing as there are a few that don't remove what they find (despite what the poster states)
  • GooWorld
    GooWorld Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Trend Micro's online scan Housecall removes viruses... Well 99% of the ones it detects anyway :)
  • tekkiegurl
    Options
    i'm using symantec anti virus. it been a good anti virus i didn't experience problem with it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure.
  • sarahpallins
    Options
    Hey thanks for sharing the useful links. I use Kaspersky anti virus to protect my PC
    Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference.
    Barak Obama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport