PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yummy Shaz - can I come for dinner :rotfl:(and bring the brood?) The pie looks lovely - I love well-done pastry.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    wow! Loads of great looking baking going on :D happy to cost anything up if you post ingredients ets...

All going fairly well with the fussy eater friend, to my deep joy, she tried and liked nettle bhajee!:T

Tomorrow I can hopefully persuade ISOM to take me a knotweed huntin', so we'll be popping in with stories soon I'm sure!;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cor....you gotta have a sense of humour to do this "thrifting" stuff...My pre-breakfast exercise this morning (now then..now then...dont start sniggering...not THAT sort of exercise!) was a bit of guerilla gardening. I've been out clearing a bit of wasteground and planting a bit of foodstuff (trying not to get that ground TOO suspiciously clear - or tempting to other would-be guerilla gardeners). Dont know about other peoples areas - but there is a noticeable amount of bits and pieces of guerilla gardening going on in my area;) .So - fingers crossed and mental note to self: it wasnt a good idea to be wearing long trousers (uggh! inches of drippy-wet hem) or carrying my stuff in a pale non-washable bag (well - I'll just have to give it an experimental scrub and hope I can get the mud off). Well - I thought it was a good opportunity to do this whilst it was pelting it down with rain - not many people around to take an interest - but I dont think I had quite woken up properly myself at that point:D

I know...I know...there will be some who are wondering what guerilla gardening is so:

www.guerillagardening.org/
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Ceridwen I have images of "you" (or what my mind pictures as you"!) scurrying around while sensible people sleep!! Mind you you do say you dont think you were quite awake!
    Looks a good principle but I wonder where they got the money for plants etc as quite expensive...wish someone would guerilla garden my plot!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Bagel recipe – readers digest

Makes 12

450g (1 ib) strong white bread flour
    1 ½ tsp salt
    1 sachet easy dried yeast – app 7g
    3 eggs (2 for mix & 1 to glaze)
    1 tsp clear honey
    2 tsp sunflower oil
    200ml (7 fl oz) tepid water

Put flour, salt & yeast in a mixing bowl and stir. Make a well in the centre. In a bowl whisk 2 eggs and add honey & oil. Add water. Mix and then add to the well. Mix until you get a soft dough.

Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for approx 10 mins until elastic. Then put into oiled bowl (I wash the one I mixed in out, soaking while I’m kneading) and cover for 30/40 mins, until risen. Knead again lightly before dividing dough into 12 pieces. Make each into a sausage and if you’re me try not to giggle when you realise what this now looks & feels like! Then wet the end and make a circle. Placed on oiled baking trays and cover again for approx 20 mins.

Preheat oven to 200 C/400F/GM6. Bring large pan of water to boil (I used a wok as deep & lots of manoevering space!) and one at a time place bagel in – turn after 10 seconds so a total of 20 seconds per bagel. Then place onto baking sheet & repeat until all done. Then brush each bagel with the last egg (I forgot & it was fine). Bake for 14/15 min until risen & golden brown. Can be stored for 3 days in an airtight container or frozen.

Per bagel: Cals160/protein 6g/fat 3g (0.5g saturated) 29g Carbs (1g sugars) 1g fibre.

Would cost £2.94 for asda own - although I would usually get NY city bagels!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    The bagels look great sounds like you had fun making them too

Not feeling good today(trapped nerve) so hubby took kids to nature reserve to give me peace

no such luck i made 2 bread loaves, recycled yesterdays leftover lamb into a casserole, made coleslaw and now making roast new pots to go with cauliflower cheese and the leftover lentil loaf for when they get back

So much for resting!!!

Anyone know anything about soap making i made some and i think i messed up checked the soapmaking thread on here but seems inactive??

Shaz

also making bran loaves and malt loaf later!!
    Shaz
  • weezl74
    Options
    Makes 12

450g (1 ib) strong white bread flour 14.4p
    1 ½ tsp salt 1p
    1 sachet easy dried yeast – app 7g -6p
    3 eggs (2 for mix & 1 to glaze) – 30p
    1 tsp clear honey - 2p
    2 tsp sunflower oil- 1p
    200ml (7 fl oz) tepid water

4.5p each or 54p for the batch

Seems like a bargain to me :D fab photos!

Friend gone and all catering accomplished. :T

I should disclose that we split a takeaway pizza together last night (£4 each) but me and Mr Weezl decided that this should come out of our 'fun/entertainment' budget (which is £45 a month for both of us). But apart from that, we managed well on what I had in, so not too panicky....
    Loving the idea of guerilla gardening. Reminds me of those eco-warriors planting pansies on dull roundabouts in the dead of night, but yours also has a purpose! What are you growing ceridwen?

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    Options
    The bagels look great sounds like you had fun making them too

Not feeling good today(trapped nerve) so hubby took kids to nature reserve to give me peace

no such luck i made 2 bread loaves, recycled yesterdays leftover lamb into a casserole, made coleslaw and now making roast new pots to go with cauliflower cheese and the leftover lentil loaf for when they get back

So much for resting!!!

Anyone know anything about soap making i made some and i think i messed up checked the soapmaking thread on here but seems inactive??

Shaz

also making bran loaves and malt loaf later!!

and then having a little lie down I hope shaz! You seem like one of those amazingly resourceful, 'just keep on going' types - more power to your elbow girl!;)

Soap-wise, the only thing I've tried is turning cheapy plain white value soaps into luxurious exfoliating body bars. I added honey oats and baked used coffee grounds and it fetches of your dead skin marvelously! :D

We use ours in the shower tho, cos you get a horrid coffee tide line in the bath.

Weezl x

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    and then having a little lie down I hope shaz! You seem like one of those amazingly resourceful, 'just keep on going' types - more power to your elbow girl!;)

Weezl x

I guess i am i think its a[strike] woman[/strike] control freak thing!:rotfl:
    Shaz
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :D
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Loving the idea of guerilla gardening. Reminds me of those eco-warriors planting pansies on dull roundabouts in the dead of night, but yours also has a purpose! What are you growing ceridwen?

Errrmmm...well after your escapades with using nettles - I decided to start with them actually..cant see anyone else picking them somehow...its only us MSE'ers that are that likely to:D

Am thinking of lobbing a few sunflower seeds in there as well and see what happens (thinking of harvesting future sunflower seeds);)

Its a little difficult thinking what foodstuff one can grow without someone else "clicking" and doing the harvesting for you - and that will basically look after itself. But - as that bit of land is sitting there only growing "rubbish" at present I thought it might as well as least grow nettles. Them I can eat - rubbish I cant!:D I'm planning on having a browse of my Guerilla Gardening book (having just bought it) to see what I can find out - this was just a little practice run to "break me in gently" so to say. (Hope no-one wonders where those sizable bits of rubbish have gone to and starts investigating.....).

I'm still busily notching up mentally all the things I never realised one could eat - leaves on tomato plants (apparently), wild garlic leaves cooked like spinach.....

Now wondering what edible flowers I could also lob in there as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure