PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Hi Weezl

just made the lentil pate but not sure i can call it yours really i didn't follow the instructions and i added tomato puree (1 tblsp) and curry powder (1 teasp)

tastes yummy hot quite sloppy at the mo does it stiffen on cooling or do you think i should reduce it a little

Thanks for the inspiration

shazx
    Shaz
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Shaz - the pate went thicker and firmer when it went cold - just realised I forgot the breadcrumbs when I made it, still delicious though! Made a slow cooker full, so have lots of little pots in the freezer!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • mummysaver
    Options
    bails wrote: »
    Ooh, what's your next challenge Weezl? How to survive on free food alone? :D You'll be turning into Bear Grylls next :rotfl:Haven't caught up on the last couple of pages properly but I will do soon, looks interesting but OH is tapping his watch and calling time :rotfl:

Read a life in the day on Sun, chap called Fergus Drennan "plans to spend a year living entirely off wild food". He apparently did the bbc prog "The roadkill chef". Not looked at it yet, but he has a blog www.wildmandwildfood.com The article tells about his acorn flour and buckthorn juice - not even sure what a buckthorn is! :confused:

He might have some extra free food tips - don't think I shall be making acorn flour :rolleyes: , but rose hip syrup sounds nice!

Slightly icky, but apparently dental plaque is full of vitamin B12 :eek:
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Have been scribbling down recipes like crazy!!!!

Now just have to find out how to make my own paneer and tortillas!

Fantastic thread and a great idea!

TOrtillas...
    500g flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 tbs oil
    seasoning if desired... garlic grans, mixed herbs?
    approx 320ml water, but enough to mix to a manageable dough.

Break into pieces and roll thinly. I use pieces about 60g in weight and roll to about 8" diameter. You'll get a feel for it.

Heat griddle or heavy frying pan till a water splash sizzles on it and place tortilla on there. It should take about 40-60 seconds for the first side and less for the second.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mummysaver wrote: »
    Shaz - the pate went thicker and firmer when it went cold - just realised I forgot the breadcrumbs when I made it, still delicious though! Made a slow cooker full, so have lots of little pots in the freezer!

I've just made D&DD's red pepper hummus, I always intend to get some stashed in the freezer, but it doesn't happen!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • mummysaver
    Options
    :eek:
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I've just made D&DD's red pepper hummus, I always intend to get some stashed in the freezer, but it doesn't happen!

Only reason mine got into the freezer was I had 6.5 litres of it :D Think if I'd made that amount of hummous though it wouldn't get to the freezer, I could eat it by the spoonful- saves calories on things to dip in I guess :rolleyes: :rotfl:
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weezl,
    You are doing amazing. Do you know if you are getting enough iron? I see you eat liver pate and lentils and kidney beans and some red meat. So probly do just wondered if you had worked it out. I'm always trying to make myself eat lots of green leafy veg for iron.

gb

Hiya gillybean, I did a long post about iron, #104 in this thread (each post has a unique number, displayed in the top right hand corner) you might find that interesting!

great recipes links and tips everyone, keep em coming!:T

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi weezl

you are doing great keep it up and the recipes coming...

I made the liver pate yesterday the only changes i made were adding a lot more garlic about 3 heaped teaspoons of the ready prepped stuff and also stirring in dried parsley once blended i used 2 x packs a's frozen chicken livers weighing 227g is this the same size pack as t's and are t's ones fresh/frozen

I also set it i a 1lb loaf tin lined with cling film and once cooled sliced into 6(100g )portions and froze 5 having the other for lunches this week (got some french bread on ) tasted good warm hopefully better now chilled

Shaz
    I'll be round 2moz Shaz, paté and french bread yum!!
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • mummysaver
    Options
    Thanks for the tortilla recipe purple! So they're really just like chappatis but with plain flour and a bit of oil- I can't think why I've never worked it out, doh! dd2 and dd3 are in charge of chappati making when we have curry, so will switch them to tortilla duties when we have mexican, think I might do it at the weekend, hopefully coriander I planted will be big enough by then!
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to end up the size of a house at this rate

French bread and pate around 10ish now just had hot lentil pate on buttered bread straight from the bm...............................

Totally off topic but:

Bit miffed we were supposed to be going away in our caravan this weekend to scarborough they have just rang and cancelled due to paddling conditions

Got our deposit back at least can't find anywhere else within easy travelling thats not booked up(bank hol weekend) considering a hotel any ideas north lincs or south humberside or east yorks way on nice but cheap family room

Really need a break ...had a trapped nerve in spine for 3 weeks now just started to be a bit more mobile

Shaz
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family