The Best Is Yet To Come

Options
slm6002
slm6002 Posts: 3,722 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 26 December 2020 at 6:56PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
The Best Is Yet To Come - or so the front cover of my new diary says.  I normally hang out in the debt free wannabes, but as I have had my diary on there for almost 10 year (yes the same diary), and have been debt free since April 2018 I thought it was time to migrate over to the mortgage free wannabe area.  Please be gentle with me.
A little about me:  I recently became a single mum to 3 lovely kids, divorced since Dec 2020 and I am waiting for the judge to sign off the financial side of our divorce so I can move on.  I would love to move to a new house in a nearby village, but for now will concentrate of the mortgage for this house.  I work part time for a preschool and am now on universal credits to top up my income.  Once the house is fully in my name, I will be hoping to pay extra towards my mortgage on a regular basis.   I like to find cheap / free things to do for me and the kids, and always shop around.  I was always the one to look after the money side of things while married, while ex husband liked to spend!  
Please feel free to join me in my adventure and new start to my life.
Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19

Comments

• Four_Seasons
    Options
    hugs and very best wishes for 2021
  • Ponylover
    Options
    Hi slm!

I can emphasis re the spendy other half.... I'm still with my DH but I'm into saving, hes into spending. Causes some issues!

Good luck on your journey. 
    January 2020- starting point! Update jan 2021
    Loan 1: £10798 £5637
    Loan 2 (DH)  £4586 £3280
    Credit card 1: £2496 £1755
    Credit card 2 (DH): approx £1000 £600
    Mortgage: £234,235 £227,746
    Total debt: £252,125  £239,018
    Savings approx £2k. Approx £9k

• slm6002
    Options
    Thank you Four Seasons and Ponylover for your good wishes.  It has been tough over the last number of years but I have made it, and I am determined to make it even further for me and my kids.  I have some very good friends that have stuck by me in real life, as well as many that have commented on my previous diary, who I hope will appear here before long.  I rant a lot, but it helps to get it off of my chest - feel free to skip that or join in lol
  • Legs21
    Legs21 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome!

Another single mum here. Had to start all over again after divorce at the age of 45. Spent 2 years in rented accommodation paying down debts accumulated by ex OH whilst married. Managed to get a deposit together for a shared ownership house as couldn’t afford a whole house on just my salary, but I’m happy with that. I overpay by £200 pound per month (I can’t afford to throw anymore at it) which should mean it’s all paid by my 60th birthday. I’m 50 now, well forty ten as COVID ruined any plans for my 50th!

Have subscribed and will follow you on your journey. Good luck!

MFW 2022 #71  £4400/£4400
  • jenni_fer
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • slm6002
    Options
    Thank you Legs21 and Jennifer.  I am lucky that I have offered to buy out Ex with some inheritance / loan that I will be getting once the judge has signed the paperwork.  The house will then be mine.  At this point I hope to sell it, but having tried to sell a while back it may take some time.  Since leaving he has taken out 2 loans based on living at this house so I am very keen to get him off the deeds to the house, just in case he stops paying for the loans and they come looking for the money.  I have too many people watching and reporting back to the Ex to stay here.  I would like to live closer to my dad as he has been there for me and the kids after going through similar himself. 
    I love the 40 plus 10 as you were unable to celebrate your birthday
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Happy new diary  slm6002. I remain very impressed that you have been able to accomplish so much in the last 12 months. I’m still waiting for my ex to get to mediation after 4 years! It’s unnerving when people watch and report back to exes so can totally understand your wanting to move in the longer term.

Very best wishes for 2021.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Four_Seasons
    Options
    Brilliant!! x
  • slm6002
    Options
    Good morning.  I've just transferred £200 to my mortgage fund account as I can't pay it yet, but once house is signed over to me I will make a lump sum.  Money spreadsheet is updated and new 2021 page organised.  Also have my list of Christmas gifts ready for next year ready to complete when I get ideas or see something in the sales that is suitable.  The children are all having a lie in so I am making use of the quiet time to sort money bits out.  We don't have anything planned and being in tier 4 now don't plan on going anywhere.  I guess when they wake it will be another day of Lego making and eating!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure