Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 7th Apr 08, 11:46 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should you give your best mate a 1 pressie?
    • 7th Apr 08, 11:46 AM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should you give your best mate a 1 pressie? 7th Apr 08 at 11:46 AM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

It’s your closest, oldest friend’s birthday and you’ve been racking your brains about what to get them. Normally you spend £30-ish on each other. But then you spot a loophole on the magazine offers thread to get their favourite perfume/aftershave free with a £1 subscription. It’s worth £30 and is the kind of pressie you might have picked out anyway. Yet you feel a twinge of guilt about only forking out £1, when they always spend more. Should you give your best friend a pressie that cost a quid?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 07-04-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 7th Apr 08, 12:55 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 7th Apr 08, 12:55 PM
    • 7th Apr 08, 12:55 PM
    Nah, it's tight

Give them the perfume / aftershave they like and get something else (maybe related from the same range). You'll look really generous and have only spent as much as you normally would.
  • V Chic Chick
    • 7th Apr 08, 9:09 PM
    • 7th Apr 08, 9:09 PM
    Course, they won't know the difference

I've done similar things before lol.
  • pinkpig08
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:35 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 5:35 PM
    I did this for the kids at Christmas and designed a voucher for it. If it was my best friend I'd get them this but a bit of something else too.
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 8th Apr 08, 10:29 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:29 PM
    • 8th Apr 08, 10:29 PM
    If it is exactly as the dilemma says above, then yes, I would.
  • Demonic Angel
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:41 AM
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:41 AM
    Yes, I'd do it! If it's the sort of ting I'd buy anyway, what does it matter? I'd not be bothered if a friend of mine did the same - shows they're not daft. Also, if I gave them the perfume AND bought something else, they'd probably then feel they had to get me more for my birthday which would be even more money to spend!
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 9th Apr 08, 8:44 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:44 AM
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:44 AM
    yes its the thought that counts
    people are too hung up on price tags and not on the fact that you have bought them something they like

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 9th Apr 08, 8:51 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:51 AM
    • 9th Apr 08, 8:51 AM
    I would rather somebody spent 1 on something I really wanted, enjoyed and would get pleasure from than 120 on 'stuff' that was a meaningless waste of money. Thought really does count.
    (OH please note!)
    • Nancy888
    • By Nancy888 9th Apr 08, 9:04 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    Nancy888
    • 9th Apr 08, 9:04 AM
    • 9th Apr 08, 9:04 AM
    Absolutely - yes I would - call me a cheap skate but if it's the genuine thing and it was her favourite then it doesn't matter how I bought it. It's only like giving her the 'free' item from a 3 for 2 deal from Boots at Christmas
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!

Sealed Pot Challenge - clunkin' away nicely
  • beautifulgorgeous
    Yes, and that would be all i would buy. My lads best friend is having one of the "free" items that i got in games workshop when i spent a hundred on my son`s birthday present last week for his birthday.( All the family clubbed together to pay the bill as the deals were better on a larger spend)
  • MrDT
    If it's what you'd have bought anyway, where's the harm in getting it a little cheaper?

I'd maybe 'top up' with a little 'extra' present they wouldn't have got otherwise, but if that present cost a fiver they get what they really want, an extra present, and it still only cost £6 instead of £30
  • Daisy Daisy
    Yes of course, I can't see the problem, surely its the gift that matters not what you pay for it? if its your best mate too, I would have thought you would have gone past the issue of whats spent on each other?
    I've bought my best freind presents from a charity shop before if its something I think she will love!
    I often think about The Samuel Vimes 'Boots' Theory Of Socio-Economic Injustice.
  • crystalmooniris
    yeah i would and i wouldn't buy an extra gift to make up for the fact it only cost a quid cos then they'd think i'd upped the cost of their present and i'd expect the same either in return or i'd be spending the same amount next year.
  • vampiretribble
    I've bought my best freind presents from a charity shop before if its something I think she will love!
    Originally posted by Daisy Daisy
    Me too, and mine has done the same for me. In the end it's the present that matters, not how much is spent.

Money shouldn't be a measure of friendship, care and attention should.
  • ctomo1978
    I don't think buying a present that you would normally pay 30 for but now only pay 1 is superb, if you found a bottle of wine in 1 shop for 10 and next door it was 8 you'd go next door, so the point of a morale dilema is ridiculous. your saving money, their not bothered how much it cost, if they like it they like it.
    • Badger_Lady
    • By Badger_Lady 9th Apr 08, 12:21 PM
    • 6,291 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    Badger_Lady
    I very often get "special deal" gifts for friends and family... if it's a normal event then yes, I would just get them that gift.

However if someone needs a particular lift, or it's a particularly special event, they will get even more.

For example, one of my good friends has had a really, really tough year in 2007 - at Christmas I gave her:
    - a gift I thought she'd like (5),
    - a freebie Lush bath set (worth 8 but got for free), and
    - the 50 Faith voucher that I won in a competition.

However, I wrote a long script on the card explaining that I hadn't actually paid for the voucher so she wouldn't feel guilty! After all, she got all that and I'd still only spent 5 on her

It's become a bit of a known thing now... I got a bargain on a pink digital photo frame for her birthday, and the first thing she said was "but these are really expensive!". I reminded her, "not when I buy them!"
    Mortgage | 132,000
    Unsecured Debt | 7,000 0
    Lodgers | |

• NOSONDDU
    • By NOSONDDU 9th Apr 08, 1:16 PM
    • 13,656 Posts
    • 430,836 Thanks
    NOSONDDU
    yes, of course I'd do it. But I would tell them exactly what I'd done and that I'd spent the balance of the money on something else for them and warn them it is a one off. I've done this and the recipient was over the moon that I went to that trouble for them and it never upped the value of what we've given in subsequent years.
    "Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" Cerys Matthews
    • Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 9th Apr 08, 1:19 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Grumpysally
    Surely as this is your best mate you will already have introduced them to money saving and they will have seen the promotion for themselves. I think Id get it for her if it was her favourite, but also spend the usual amount ( never £30!) and tell her where it came from so she wouldn't feel obliged to spend extra on me. Imagine how embarrasing it would be if you didn't tell and she found out later.
    I suppose you could take out the subscription as a gift for your friend as well.
    • Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 9th Apr 08, 1:26 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Grumpysally
    Just re read the dilemma. What magazine gives away really expensive perfume for a £1 subscription? : ) You'd probably miss the small print and end up signing up to one of these deals where you have to set up a direct debit which you need to cancel at the end of some trial period and if you are like me, forget about it and end up spending more than the perfume was worth in the first place. Doh!
    • george
    • By george 9th Apr 08, 1:26 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    george
    Done it and will do it again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin