PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Soup is without any doubt the food of the Gods. Am looking forward to trying the egg an dlemmon soup shortly, I make soup at least 3 times a week and make and freze batches of stock. My very fave soup is cream of cauliflwer. Cant find the book for exact quantities(was reading it this morning so its obviously staring at me. Will post later when I find it and have got todays offering on(parsnip) What a great thread.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • spiddy100
    Options
    Ooh, I love cream of cauliflower, Anniestar - if you do have a recipe I wouldbe really grateful as I've never made it, just had it in cafes etc. Was going to make it for a starter at xmas this year but got given some jerusalem artichokes by a neighbour so did those in a soup instead (delish :D )
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We love home made soup as well, I learn't how to do it from reading on here :T

Fry an onion first, then whatever veg we have in, plus potatoes, cover with a pint of stock cube mix and simmer until tender. Blitz about 3/4 then mix in with the remaining liquid. If we have mushrooms then I usually leave those whole.

Add mixed herbs and black pepper at the simmering stage.
  • jmarko
    jmarko Posts: 4,137 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It's a soup-based revolution! :D

jmarko
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    Peem wrote:
    I make a batch of soup every week. Think I learned it from my mum. This week's was chorizo and bean. It does at least one lunch at the weekend. Lunch through the week and sometimes some goes in the freezer as a standby.

Peem - any chance of your recipe for chorizo and bean? - sounds yum.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I love making (and eating :D;) ) soup. During the winter I make a batch every weekend. Last week was leek and potato (DD's favourite) and this week curried parsnip. Next week I'm making a rich onion soup, with the dark turkey stock left in the freezer.

Cooking isn't dead if my children and their friends are anything to go by :j My 2 love to cook, anything from bread, cakes, pastry, pasta sauce, roasts. They also invent variations - we're planning to try HM *jammy dodgers* at the weekend.

They love to eat well, and want to be able to cook (economically) for themselves when they leave home, so want to learn now.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • spaghetti_monster
    Options
    one of my fave soups is cauliflower and sweetcorn - from the cramps cookbook.
    Involves garlic, butter, mustard, nutmeg and a bit of cream I think. Will find the recipe........
  • spaghetti_monster
    Options
    OK, no sleep anymore for me so here's the recipe!

In a bit of butter fry - onions , (possibly a leek), garlic, cauliflower.

Simmer in stock for about 15 mins (I use marigold)

blend (but not too much), add sweetcorn, bit of dijon mustard, cream, grating of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Recipe also recommends adding sorrel at this point, which I've never found - but it tastes very good without anyway!

Also I don't usually add cream as I don't often have any. The soup is quite thick and tasty and although I love cream don't miss it in this soup.

Alex x
  • AMIE399
    AMIE399 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I make soup all the time, whatever is in my fridge goes in !!!! i live by the sea so often i pop some in a flask and go for a nice long walk... it sure warms you up when its cold, wet and windy !!!
    slimmimg world weight loss 6lbs
    started 27/1/10
  • jembie
    jembie Posts: 936 Forumite
    Options
    I only make soup when I have had Chicken as I boil up the bones to make the stock then just chuck everything in.
    Mind you I boiled up a Lamb bone this week and that was gorgeous. I even snook some Mushrooms in there when my daughter wasn't looking and she still said it was gorgeous.

When I was 18 and shared a flat with a friend my soups were famous and people were always popping in hoping I had made some that week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure