Rated People website

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats to stop a tradesman posting a job under a different name and then when they "win" the contract they leave themselves a good rating.
  • Lyndatp25
    Lyndatp25 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I have been a lurker of this site for quite a while but just had to register to reply to Andy's post.

We went on the Rated People site to find someone we could trust to render the front of our house. Not cheap or quick just trustworthy. To say that it was a disaster is an understatement. The reviews we read were excellent but the reality was dreadful. The job was given to 'my son's friend to help him out'. The result was a pile of rubble in the front garden and scaffolding, cement mixer and tools left for two months despite constant phone calls to have them retrieved when we realised the job was just not getting done. I could go on and on about the clean up job afterwards ...

Anyway, when I gave a bad rating on the Rated People site they took it off saying that the original firm disputed that the job had been given to someone else. This left them with 100% again. I explained the situation and they put it back on .. I haven't looked since because the whole experience was so upsetting.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Please remember people that you cannot take whatever you read on the Internet as 100% Gospel. Use the same amount of common sense when buying through the internet as you would buying normal.

Its always worth Googling a company or their post code before you commit to buy as it often throughs up interesting information such as MSE threads etc etc. Do this before you buy rather than after you have bought when its to late.
  • Lyndatp25
    Lyndatp25 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    It is a shot in the dark to find a builder or someone to do a job for you unless you know someone personally that has had work done and can recommend a tradesperson. The next best thing seems to be a web site that has reviews. Or so you would think! Obviously not though in our case. We may have had a better experience looking in the yellow pages - which is what we purposely avoided doing. Ah well - its all experience. Albeit an expensive one!
  • dacouch
    Options
    If you have Legal Protection Cover with your Home Insurance they often have "Approved Tradesmen" who they can recommend. They normally check them out and get references etc. When they recommend a tradesman they normallly send a form out to the customer asking for feed back and if they get bad reviews they normally get struck off so they are often good tradesmen.

It might give you a better tradesman.

Normally the best way is to ask friends for recommendations or if they have none use a tradesman who is qualified eg a Corgi Plumber (You can normally check they are bona fide on the Associations website.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps there should be more Stickies on these type of subjects (maybe there are for all I know)
  • monkeydust_2
    Options
    rating systems are never perfect but you can create barries to de-incentivise false reviewers
  • dacouch
    Options
    monkeydust wrote: »
    rating systems are never perfect but you can create barries to de-incentivise false reviewers

I agree, but as stated its best for people to understand that rating systems / review wesbites are not always accurate so people should excersise caution as they would when buying any service whether on the net or not
  • pasc
    pasc Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I've used rated people a few times over the past few months - I have given a few quotes and turned the majority of those into work. I generally pay £18 for each lead.

There are a couple of minor gripes from my point of view; firstly it's often hard to tell if a job is actually worth paying £18 for by the brief description posted by a customer.

Secondly, and more frustrating, is that if a posted job is more than a few hours old you run a serious risk of paying the fee, only to ring the customer and be told that they have already found a tradesman. If I see a job that's more than a day old I normally don't bother with it for this reason.
  • patrick0
    patrick0 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I've used ratedpeople.com in the past after a recommendation on a website and had no problem. But now that I know they don't allow you to update your original rating and review I won't be using them again. It's very difficult to spot a bad job within a few days of it being done. Poor workmanship usually take a month or two to show up.

I had a shower installed by a guy (not through ratedpeople) and it was fine for 2 months then the sealant gave way and water leaked everywhere. If this job was on rated people and the guy had refused to come and resolve the issue (badly installed silicone sealant) then I'd want to update the rating to reflect the poor job. But on ratedpeople I wouldn't be able to do that. You can add an additional comment, but nobody will see that unless they click into the original review. Most people won't drill into your review - they'll see your original excellent rating and positive comment so won't bother clicking to check for additional comments.

I'll try the alternatives next time. Interesting that searching for "tradesmen quotes" doesn't even list them:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tradesmen+quotes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport