PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• thriftychap_2
    Options
    Second overpayment since my first post, sig changed. We are getting married in July so we have agreed as of August we will overpay by £1100 each month! Oh how i would love to pay our savings off the mortgage and not on the wedding. I suppose only paying 11k of a 25k wedding and honeymoon is getting off quite lightly! However to me its not how grand the occasion is but the fact we are getting married thats important! As long as she is there im happy!

To clarify - we hope to overpay by 7k by the end of the year to enable us to have a greater deposit when we choose to move!

Well done all, keep saving!!
    Mortgage overpayment
    01/05/11 - 31/12/2011
    £5000/£7000
    End of 2012 target
    £8400
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i spent some of my deposit :o

in my defense it was for a hotel for our 5 year wedding anniversary and it was on offer so only £145 (saving us £250) it included breakfasts and one evvening meal and will give us a break from the kids and if we had of booked it closer to the time it would have been more , my total is now £610- still waiting on hubby to be paid
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • doire_2
    doire_2 Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »

in my defense it was for a hotel for our 5 year wedding anniversary and it was on offer so only £145 (saving us £250) it included breakfasts and one evvening meal and will give us a break from the kids and if we had of booked it closer to the time it would have been more , my total is now £610- still waiting on hubby to be paid

Saving is very important but remember you still have to have a life too! You only have one!

You treated yourself.... so what. We all need a break once in a while. Plus you got it cheaper than it would have been
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options

Snap - i spent some of mine last night too - I went shopping, didn't buy too much and i supppose i needed the stuff i bought. Will have to dip in to the savings this month as no way will meagre amount left in my current account last to payday!
    I also paid my way out of my phone contract to move to a £10 a month contract as i needed more minutes and was regulary spending £10 a month more than the line rental!

All in all this has worked out as an expensive month! 2 hen nights, 2 weekends away (visiting friends and family) and moving out of my rented apartment - final electric bill due.

Hopefully I'll get my rental deposit back before the end of the month to cover all the extra expense!

Amount left in current accounts: £175, Cash - £15!

Amounts owed - full CC payment £148

If it wasn't for the next hen night - I could probably just about manage without dipping into the savings - but I want to enjoy my life too!

I'm getting depressed by not being able to find a house now anyway, so I don't mind spending a bit this month!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • quintwins
    Options
    doire wrote: »
    Saving is very important but remember you still have to have a life too! You only have one!

You treated yourself.... so what. We all need a break once in a while. Plus you got it cheaper than it would have been

we fully intended on going anyway, we really need a couple break rather than mummy and daddy time and we felt 5 years was worth celebrating but we were gonan try for a last minute deal because it's august so can be expensive we fully expected to pay £200-£300 for somewhere nice for the weekend so this really has saved us money which means we'll have more in our savings in teh long run :), i fully beleive that if your too strict you will fail because it will just get depressing and feels liek too much work
    lazer wrote: »
    Snap - i spent some of mine last night too - I went shopping, didn't buy too much and i supppose i needed the stuff i bought. Will have to dip in to the savings this month as no way will meagre amount left in my current account last to payday!
    I also paid my way out of my phone contract to move to a £10 a month contract as i needed more minutes and was regulary spending £10 a month more than the line rental!

All in all this has worked out as an expensive month! 2 hen nights, 2 weekends away (visiting friends and family) and moving out of my rented apartment - final electric bill due.

Hopefully I'll get my rental deposit back before the end of the month to cover all the extra expense!

Amount left in current accounts: £175, Cash - £15!

Amounts owed - full CC payment £148

If it wasn't for the next hen night - I could probably just about manage without dipping into the savings - but I want to enjoy my life too!

I'm getting depressed by not being able to find a house now anyway, so I don't mind spending a bit this month!

think fo all the fun that hen night will be tho :) you have some impressive savings compared to me so dipping into them will be like a drop in the ocean lol you should enjoy yourself, you don't want to be sitting in your old age think oh i have security and i paid my mortgae off early and saved on interest but i've missed out on so much and now it's too late

i'm really looking foward to it acually, even tho it's 2.5hrs away it's in a lovely setting so will hopefully be a lovely weekend, need euro's tho so need to figure out how many i'll need shouldn't be too much id were only staying 2 nights and have breakfast and 1 dinner provided and we do love fish and chips :p
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from the bank, it's finally happened. £27k savings tranferred to cover my half of the deposit.

I feel a little ill seeing my statement.

Definitely worth it though.

:rotfl:
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Yup, gotta treat yourself sometimes!!!! I'm having quite an expensive month, have had TOO many charity shop bargains lately! :) p.s. I know what deal you're talking about, am considering it myself :D check the terms though, think it excludes weekends in July and August! But perhaps you're going midweek. Anyway, enjoy xo

Riq - congratulations!!!! :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • quintwins
    edited 10 June 2011 at 5:33PM
    Options
    lol were going mid august i checked and they do have vacancys then (altho it totaled £700 lol) were hoping as it's not as popular of a time we can get away with it, i'll try book the second my voucher comes threw, it says limited avaliability in july and august weekends, if need be we'll take some time off, oh gets paid holidays anyway, altho he's also getting july week because they close so if we don't plan lots of cheap things a week off could end up being expensive

oh theres also one on living social for somewhere else if your after a wee break, but it's alot cheaper only 1 night tho i think and less of a drive :)

EDIT oh i just looked and that one expires on june 12th so guess that only works if u wanna go with weekend lol
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    grrr:mad: i just got my email and it said excluded july/august peak weekends it def didn't say that yesterday morning on the site because i checked when oh asked me, but i've canceled it anyway, guess i'll keep looking, plenty of time for another deal ;)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Rahven
    Rahven Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quick update from me. I found the passbook to a (very) old building society account with a little bit of cash in it. Checked and it was earning something like 0.0001% ;)
    Went to the building soc. today and closed the account, putting the £190 straight into the ISA.
    Got £10 Co-op dividends this week so put that in too.
    Along with the standing order for £220 a month this means that my deposit fund now stands at
    £746.48
    Not bad for an account that's only been open 2.5 weeks :D
    I think I might have given the OH the bug now, since I proudly told him what my total is now he responded with 'Right I'm gonna go sort my ISA out, you're not gonna beat me!' ;)

Nice going everyone, keep it up!

£746.48 / £2k = 37.3% of target by December 2011 :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport