PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options
1511512513514515517»

Comments

• JacJac1
    JacJac1 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rigolith said:
    JacJac1 said:
    I had my 10% deposit saved a couple of years ago, but then the pandemic hit and with so much uncertainty in the world I put my buying plans on hold. I do want to buy at some point, and my family nags me about renting and 'paying someone elses mortgage' but to be honest I'm fine with that. I rent from a big company who are very efficient in maintaining and fixing things, and my rent is just over a quarter of my income. A mortgage is going to be considerably more expensive, and more stressful. But I'm in my mid-forties and am running out of time. Decisons decisions!
    The worry is that you reach retirement and are basically stuck because moving would mean a much higher, unaffordable rent. The government keeps talking about ending no-fault evictions, but if it ever happens it can always be undone.

I'm in a similar position, but with disability on top. Insane house prices rises mean that every time we get close, things seem to slip from our grasp. Now prices are falling a bit but mortgage rates are still relatively high. Ridiculous prices were just about achievable when rates were low.

Wondering if we can emigrate to a better country, but that's not exactly easy, especially with health issues and post-brexit.

Yes, I'm sure there are so many in a similar boat. Prices have dipped slightly in my search area too, maybe 3%, but that reduction doesn't nearly cover the mortgage rate rises we've seen since last summer. My retirement plan is to move away fron London back up to the (much cheaper) area I grew up in, but I'm not ready to leave the capital yet.
  • MissNinja
    MissNinja Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Same here, except we can't move to a cheaper area due to my partner having young kids and no driving license. Food, bills, council tax keep rising and my landlords are clearly enjoying their brand new lexus with leather seats.
    I am incredibly salty as the kids would say...
  • Littlebigmoose
    Littlebigmoose Posts: 114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this thread still running or there’s a new one?
    #7... 3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2)
    #25... 2024 Cash Envelope (or online) Saving Challenge

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure