Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 7th Nov 07, 6:45 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Tesco Clubcard Loophole: Get 100 points (worth 4) for a 3 spend
    • 7th Nov 07, 6:45 PM
    Tesco Clubcard Loophole: Get 100 points (worth 4) for a 3 spend 7th Nov 07 at 6:45 PM
    What's the loophole?

Tesco is currently selling a packet of 128 Johnson's baby wipes for three pounds, but if you get them it'll award you 100 Bonus Clubcard Points. While these are only worth £1 if redeemed in Tesco, if you go to Tesco ClubCard Deals brochure their value is quadrupled and thus you get £4 worth. This means buying the baby wipes makes you a £1 profit.

Who's this for?

Previous similar deals include the infamous 'Beef in Gravy' and 'Baby Powder loopholes' but there the profit was greater. Thus this is only worth doing in the following circumstances.

A. You need something in the Clubcard Brochure:

You are intending to buy something, or saving up for something, that's in the Clubcard Deals brochure.

B. You can't find it more cheaply elsewhere:

What you intend to buy can't be bought more cheaply elsewhere. If you think about it this effectively means you're buying anything in the brochure at a 25% discount to its list price. As this is a big, but not huge, discount; you may be able to find it cheaper through other routes.

Yet if this does work for you... head to Tesco and Stock up!

Tesco's rules on the subject

According to Tesco, bulk buying of more than ten of the same product, in one go, is frowned upon (in general the till will flag this up to the cashier), but this differs from store to store depending on stock quantity.

It should be noted though, if Tesco believes you're abusing the deal, it does have the right to not give you the points; though it'd be a big PR problem for it.

More info on Tesco Clubcard Deals

Let me stress something; 100 Clubcard points are only worth £1 if you use them in-store. This loophole only works if you use them on Tesco's special Clubcard Deals vouchers, where you can redeem four times the vouchers' face value (e.g. if you have £100 worth of vouchers in store, you can, for example, exchange these for £400 in holiday vouchers).

Deals available include money off holidays, theme park entrance, restaurant dining, jewellery, car hire, hotels plus many, many more; though do carefully look at the deals; often the price is on the list price, whereas you may be able to get it cheaper (e.g. list price £40, yet it's usually discounted to £30; yet as you're only spending a £10 voucher it's usually still a big gain). Have a look at Tesco's website to check out all the ClubCard Deals available and see if you'd use them before doing this.

For full details read Loyalty Schemes: Tesco ClubCard.

Haven't got a ClubCard?

Pick one up at your nearest store and start collecting points straight away

PS Thanks to Music Man (post below) for the original post. This post has been inserted to add extra explanation for people coming from the weekly e-mail.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-01-2008 at 9:16 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • Music Man
    • 17th Jan 08, 11:33 PM
    Tesco loophole Johnsons Baby Wipes 100 points for 3 spend
    • 17th Jan 08, 11:33 PM
    I did a search and didn't find this...

Just got back from my local Tesco and they are giving away 100 points when you buy any Johnsons baby skin wipes (fragranced or fragrance free) priced at £3.00. I think these are the 128 packs.

So if you use the 100 points in Tesco club card deals then this will give you £4, i.e. Tesco are giving you £1 for free.

I think the offer is on until 12/02/2008.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 22-01-2008 at 8:40 PM.
    • Hizz
    • By Hizz 17th Jan 08, 11:35 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Hizz
    • 17th Jan 08, 11:35 PM
    • 17th Jan 08, 11:35 PM
    Probably better off buying the supermarkets cheaper own brand wipes.
    One hundred years from now it won't matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little better because, I was important in the life of a child.
  • snoony2
    • 18th Jan 08, 12:02 AM
    • 18th Jan 08, 12:02 AM
    Is great if like me you are keen on increasing your points. I have nearly 2000 towards a holiday now (when points are converted to deal). Think I might have to go and stock up on baby wipes - can add them to the stash of baby powder I bought when they had the 100 points offer on those!

thanks
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 18th Jan 08, 7:24 AM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Clowance
    • 18th Jan 08, 7:24 AM
    also on other pack of Johnsons
    • 18th Jan 08, 7:24 AM
    Johnsons Baby Extracare Wipes 4 Pack 256 £5
    150 EXTRA POINTS When You Buy - valid from 16/01/2008 until 12/02/2008
    Johnsons Baby Skincare Wipes 4 Pack 256 £5
    150 EXTRA POINTS When You Buy - valid from 16/01/2008 until 12/02/2008
    Johnsons Baby Skincare Wipes Fragrance Free 128 £3
    100 EXTRA POINTS When You Buy - valid from 16/01/2008 until 12/02/2008
    Johnsons Baby Skincare Wipes Refill 128 £3
    100 EXTRA POINTS When You Buy - valid from 16/01/2008 until 12/02/2008
    (from Tesco.com)

which makes it 200 points for 256 wipes on a 2 pack £6 spend, or 150 points for same no of wipes on a £5 spend. At last a useful product on an extra points offer - and we won't be eating it for 500 years like the beef in gravy!
    Last edited by Clowance; 18-01-2008 at 7:27 AM.
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • photome
    • By photome 18th Jan 08, 7:28 AM
    • 14,406 Posts
    • 9,906 Thanks
    photome
    • 18th Jan 08, 7:28 AM
    • 18th Jan 08, 7:28 AM
    Probably better off buying the supermarkets cheaper own brand wipes.
    Originally posted by Hizz
    How many points do you get with those :confused:
  • alchemista
    • 18th Jan 08, 8:56 AM
    • 18th Jan 08, 8:56 AM
    The real "value" of points is about 2x. I wouldn't consider points at the full 4x value because you can buy points/vouchers at the value of 2x to the point. Thus, you aren't really making money here.

The market value of 100 points is £2, so you are effectively getting £2 off a £3 spend. Plus, there is time involved with doing point conversions or selling points, so it's £2 + effort on your part.

Not to down this deal, but just note that it's not like you're automatically earning £1 each time you do this.
    • mcampster
    • By mcampster 18th Jan 08, 9:04 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    mcampster
    • 18th Jan 08, 9:04 AM
    • 18th Jan 08, 9:04 AM
    The real "value" of points is about 2x. I wouldn't consider points at the full 4x value because you can buy points/vouchers at the value of 2x to the point. Thus, you aren't really making money here.

The market value of 100 points is 2, so you are effectively getting 2 off a 3 spend. Plus, there is time involved with doing point conversions or selling points, so it's 2 + effort on your part.

Not to down this deal, but just note that it's not like you're automatically earning 1 each time you do this.
    Originally posted by alchemista
    Where can you buy points?
    • bright side
    • By bright side 18th Jan 08, 9:30 AM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    bright side
    • 18th Jan 08, 9:30 AM
    • 18th Jan 08, 9:30 AM
    Where can you buy points?
    Originally posted by mcampster
    That'll be ebay
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass
  • super_dad
    I did a search and didn't find this...

Just got back from my local Tesco and they are giving away 100 points when you buy any Johnsons baby skin wipes (fragranced or fragrance free) priced at 3.00. I think these are the 128 packs.

So if you use the 100 points in Tesco club card deals then this will give you 4, i.e. Tesco are giving you 1 for free.

I think the offer is on until 12/02/2008.
    Originally posted by Music Man
    is this an offer like the talc one that was one pre christmas.... i.e the points are added automatically at the till when you buy the till without a voucher?... or do you need a coupon? thanks in advance
    Hating Hastings Direct!
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 18th Jan 08, 2:05 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    points are added at the till automatically as long as the store does it. some of the metro stores don't do the offer
  • super_dad
    points are added at the till automatically as long as the store does it. some of the metro stores don't do the offer
    Originally posted by mumofjusttwo
    brilliant thanks...!!

went a bit overboard with the whole talc thing.. in fact it almost paid for a family holiday (add the magnetic frames offer and it did pay for a family holiday)...

I love this sort of thing, thanks a lot.
    Hating Hastings Direct!
  • tracey55
    thanks for this my ds uses these so will go and stock up
    • puddings
    • By puddings 23rd Jan 08, 1:42 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    puddings
    I missed out on the beef in gravy thing but do have 180 bottles of Johnson's talc sitting in boxes in my attic and a whole load of huggies nappies too.

Do you think tesco will ever start selling babies?

Until they do, being a single bloke with no kids, I'm just collecting all this stuff for no reason!
    ;-)
  • WoZZeR

The market value of 100 points is 2, so you are effectively getting 2 off a 3 spend. Plus, there is time involved with doing point conversions or selling points, so it's 2 + effort on your part.

Not to down this deal, but just note that it's not like you're automatically earning 1 each time you do this.

yes in away your not making anything as wipes like these are 1 else where if you shop around, 1 shop, nettos ect... all have wipes on offer.
    • katyk
    • By katyk 23rd Jan 08, 7:21 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    katyk
    Can I ask if you get these points added automatically if you but online shopping?
  • lydia dustbin
    baby wipes
    asda's baby fortnight are featuring 6 packs of the same wipes for a fiver as well as other bargains xxx
    save energy - stay in bed x

• lydia dustbin
    I missed out on the beef in gravy thing but do have 180 bottles of Johnson's talc sitting in boxes in my attic and a whole load of huggies nappies too.

Do you think tesco will ever start selling babies?

Until they do, being a single bloke with no kids, I'm just collecting all this stuff for no reason!
    ;-)
    Originally posted by puddings

But you will be a great catch for a thrity something lady ready to start a family (most of them) xx
    save energy - stay in bed x

• Jim Lewis
    For the people collecting baby products with no real use for them, have you thought about donating them to a local creche or similar?, I'm sure most cash strapped mums would be glad of some freebies.

(And for the single men amongst you, it might be a good ice-breaker!)
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 23rd Jan 08, 7:32 AM
    • 32,186 Posts
    • 211,356 Thanks
    FloFlo

There are deals that need your name on so you can't buy from others, but for days out I buy from ebay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,399Posts Today

9,835Users online

Martin's Twitter