Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • crispeater
    • 21st Dec 06, 9:33 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 9:33 AM
    i think i saw someone on here the other day that had blanched them then popped them in the freezer to help save time christmas day.
    It only seems kinky the first time..
  • Milkmaid
    • 21st Dec 06, 9:48 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 9:48 AM
    For use in a couple of weeks I would not bother blanching them, just trim as usual, pop them in a bag in the quantity you will need for dinner then thro them into the freezer, they will taste as good as new, and you will save a bit of time on Christmas day
  • Toxic Lemon
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:54 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:54 AM
    I wouldn't bother at all. They'll be fine for Xmas Day, I'm sure.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 21st Dec 06, 1:16 PM
    • 10,228 Posts
    • 16,798 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 21st Dec 06, 1:16 PM
    • 21st Dec 06, 1:16 PM
    Hang them in a net (not a plastic bag) in a very cold garage or shed. NB If you keep the car in the garage then don't start it up without temporarily removing the sprouts, unless you like the taste of petrol/diesel fumes .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• carol_a
    • 21st Dec 06, 3:55 PM
    • 21st Dec 06, 3:55 PM
    I can't stand the Christmas Eve stampede to buy fruit and veg so have started getting mine already. I took an empty cardboard box, lined it with newspaper and have been putting my stuff in there in the garage, out of it's plastic bags first. I did it last year too and most of it kept up to two weeks. Potatoes even longer. Especially in this cold snap.
    • KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 1st Jan 08, 5:54 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    KittyKate
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:54 PM
    Can I freeze sprouts?
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:54 PM
    I have 2 bags of sprouts from a post-christmas shop (they'd been reduced to 50p and I LOVE sprouts so I went a bit mental!). They say use by the 2nd of Jan but I can't eat them all by then! They are fresh, unprepared and in a sealed plastic bag.

Would I be better off preparing and blanching them, then freezing them, or can I just stick the bags in the freezer....failing that, what's sprout soup like (and what effect does it have on the body!!!)
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 1st Jan 08, 5:57 PM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 7,416 Thanks
    lemontart
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:57 PM
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:57 PM
    I froze some but ended up binning as tasted funny, bought them reduced too, so best not to freeze unless very fresh,

Liz
    • KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 1st Jan 08, 5:59 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    KittyKate
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:59 PM
    • 1st Jan 08, 5:59 PM
    Hmm. Might make a sprout soup then! Does anyone know a recipe?
    • susank
    • By susank 1st Jan 08, 6:07 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    susank
    Blanch them and they should be fine frozen - remember to cool them quickly though
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me!
    • Crazychik
    • By Crazychik 1st Jan 08, 6:08 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 17,302 Thanks
    Crazychik
    I blanched a load before Christmas, and put them in freezer bags in portions, and use and & when - they are fine!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • chocolate.orange
    Suppose you could put some in a saucepan with boiling water add a vegetable stock cube,chopped potato and half an onion chopped. Then blitz with a hand blender ?
    I do same with left over broccoli

Not sure about freezing them,but they would need to be part cooked first then drained well
  • ravylesley
    Sprout soup????????

Arent they a little strongly flavoured to make a soup?

I'd do the sniff test and if they dont smell funny or feel slimy then I'd blanch for a couple of mins and then plunge them into icy water and freeze

Lesleyxx
    • Newgirl
    • By Newgirl 1st Jan 08, 6:35 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Newgirl
    I ALWAYS freeze sprouts at Christmas as I love them and buy them when they are cheap. We have just had Xmas dinner (always do as our New Year's Day tradition) and we have cooked extra potatoes, parsnips and sprouts to make bubble and squeak for tomorrow's tea plus some sprouts and spuds blanched for the freezer.

I find it is helpful not to overdo them (so not fully cooked for example) and freeze them in a tub if you have one, until solid, then you can bag them. Othwise they go a bit mushy.

My OH has (only half jokingly) just suggested freezing some more to lob at the squirrels who are eating all our bird seed and nuts, not to mention the two woodpeckers who have wrecked my wooden peanut feeder. Grrrr

Newgirl
  • kunekune
    Yes! Sprout soup is fantastic. This recipe is based on one from Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book, one of the great cookery books of all time (her version doesn't have bacon but it's good, all cabbage soups need bacon after all).

Sweat some onion and chopped bacon in butter. Add quartered sprouts and other veges: potato and celeriac or potato and chopped celery. Cook for a while, don't let it brown. Then add lots of water and some chicken stock powder. Cook until tender, then liquidise. FREEZE AT THIS POINT.

When you want to eat it, defrost and warm. Then add a generous dollop of cream and season it (actually, full fat milk would probably do, but I've always done it with cream).
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Jan 08, 7:54 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    freezing sprouts
    Got some reduced sprouts this evening at Morrisons, want to freeze them. Has anyone tried? do you blanche them, if so, how long for?Usually do this in steamer. Easier than pans of hot water somehow.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    I have never done it myself but my mum and mum in law both have.My mum just puts them in the freezer as they, on the odd occassion they have had freezer burn but you remove the outer leaves anyway so it doesnt matter.My mum in law blanches and I think they are then really mushy once defrosted but thats how they like them.
    Perhaps split the bag and do them both ways to see how they turn out.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • demented
    Got some reduced sprouts this evening at Morrisons, want to freeze them. Has anyone tried? do you blanche them, if so, how long for?Usually do this in steamer. Easier than pans of hot water somehow.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    Hi I have frozen Brussels for years, prepare them as you would do if you were cooking them fresh, pop them into a pan of boiling water for about 2 mins and then run them under cold water, or plunge the brussels into a pan/bowl of cold water, to cool down, strain them and then either open freeze them on a tray or put them into a freezer bag. I did all my sprouts 2 months before Christmas, and they were perfect. If you open freeze them, they will not be all mushed up together in a blob. Do just the same with carrots as well. Hope this is of some help.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
    • Old Joe
    • By Old Joe 8th Jan 08, 10:14 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Old Joe
    Someone is sure to say it's a no-no, but after preparing the sprout I just freeze them directly without bothering to blanch them, with no ill effects.
    • Horace
    • By Horace 9th Dec 08, 11:43 AM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    How do I freeze sprouts?
    I bought a sprout top on Friday as I was expecting to have a visitor all this week, instead they had work to do and so had to go back today. I now have a glut of sprouts includeng the sprout cabbage to use up and there's only me. I knoww that sprouts can be frozen because I have a bag of them lurking in the bowels of the freezer that I picked up in Tesco back in 2006 The sprouts on the sprout top are the sweetest, yummiest things and I would hate to waste them - how do I freeze them? Do I have to blanch them and if so how do I do it?:confused:
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: It's said we're divided between the haves and the have-nots. Which group do you feel you are in?

• Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• Follow Martin