New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

freezing sprouts

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
43 replies 31K views

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Yes they will keep fine :D and way after christmas as well.
  • Janey3Janey3 Forumite
    416 posts
    What a great bargain! Yes, they will last until Christmas and beyond.
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely - I have already done lots ready for Christmas day , so one less thing to prepare :D
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • midnightraven3midnightraven3 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sooooooooooo jealous
    1p sprouts!

bargain

you HAVE to make shredded sprouts parmesan
    and shredded sprouts with nutmeg & lemon

in fact shred them into an envelope and send some to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee:rotfl:

they will be fine, at christmas and well beyond
  • Thanks all :D cheapo Christmas dinner, here we come!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • BroomstickBroomstick Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bag of uncooked brussels sprouts that really ought to have something done about them tonight or maybe tomorrow morning. I'm the only one in our house that likes sprouts. Can anyone let me know how to prepare them for freezing so that they can be cooked later by steaming them? How do I prepare them? How do I stop them all sticking together when they start to freeze?

Many thanks
    B x
  • soappiesoappie Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Prep them just as you would for cooking (but NO crosses in the bottom - they don't need 'em!)
    Pop them in a colander and thoroughly rinse under a cold running tap
    If you're so inclined, blanche them (i.e. bring a big pan of water to the boil, plunge 'em in for a minute, remove, rinse under cold tap to cool quickly) but it's not really necessary
    Then get a baking tin or a flat tray or something, place sprouts on said tray, so they don't touch each other
    Bung tray in freezer
    When sprouts are frozen (next morning probably) remove tray from freezer, grab a load of small freezer bags and bag up in the right sort of quantities
    Seal bags
    Pop bags back in freezer for whenever
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life
  • janeawejjaneawej Forumite
    808 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I would definately do the crosses on the bottom! then pop into a pan of boiling water for 2 mins, take out and drain, run under cold tap till cold then either open freeze on a try and bag when frozen or bag into portion size bags and freeze right away.
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Broomstick,

If I'm going to be using them in the next couple of weeks I don't bother to blanch and just open freeze (freeze on a tray to stop them sticking together) before bagging up. If I want to keep them frozen for a while I do the same but give them a couple of minutes in boiling water before plunging into cold water and draining before I open freeze them.

As we have an existing thread on freezing sprouts I'll add your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • bluebagbluebag Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Prepare a large pan of boiling water and a large bowl of iced water.

Trim the sprouts of spoiled leaves and woody bits, but don't cut the cross into the stalks, I then plunge them into rapdlily boiling water for 2 mins, I do them in small batches so the water stays as hot as possible.

Then remove with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl of iced water for 10 mins then drain very well. Keep adding a little ice to the water if it all melts to keep it very cold.

I find it easier to pack them into small portions or freeze them seperated on a baking tray till solid and then transfer to a freezer bag, otherwise they tend to freeze into a solid lump.